What's new

My take on so-called "Aggressive" equipment

This is such an interesting thread and a real case of "the king's new clothes".

I certainly get the same immediate results with every DE with a standard stainless blade, but the experience DURING shaving can be very different with the feel of the blade, how quickly the stubble is removed and the manouverability of the razor, as well as how abraded my skin has been by the razor, how likely the razor head is to clog and so on.

If I use a carbon steel DE blade, an SE, an injector or a straight however the result IS different in terms of how my skin and stubble regrowth feel, and how long it takes for the stubble to grow back, and even what the stubble looks like.
Just watch a Humphrey Bogart movie to see "1940s stubble" which is not attainable with a modern stainless DE blade.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I also find that more aggressive does not result in a better BBS. It does remove more hair on the first pass, but it also seems to make razor burn easier to produce.

If you're going to make three passes anyway it seems like an unnecessary risk.

This is such an interesting thread and a real case of "the king's new clothes".

I certainly get the same immediate results with every DE with a standard stainless blade, but the experience DURING shaving can be very different with the feel of the blade, how quickly the stubble is removed and the manouverability of the razor, as well as how abraded my skin has been by the razor, how likely the razor head is to clog and so on.

If I use a carbon steel DE blade, an SE, an injector or a straight however the result IS different in terms of how my skin and stubble regrowth feel, and how long it takes for the stubble to grow back, and even what the stubble looks like.
Just watch a Humphrey Bogart movie to see "1940s stubble" which is not attainable with a modern stainless DE blade.

Agree with this 100%

I must be doing something wrong . I definitely do not get the same shave results when I use my R41 compared to a tech.

Might be your experience, but certainly hasn't been mine.

With the R41 I still need 3 passes, difference is, the 3rd pass is pretty much blade buffing along my jawline, whereas with a milder razor usually I need 3 full passes, plus touch ups sometimes.

The immediate result after the shave is the same,how much time that BBS lasts is an entirely different story.

My conclusion, based on my experience, aggressive razors help, a LOT.

I don't understand the cheap feeling to it part though ...

I also find that more aggressive does not result in a better BBS. It does remove more hair on the first pass, but it also seems to make razor burn easier to produce.

If you're going to make three passes anyway it seems like an unnecessary risk.

These are my thoughts and my experience as well. In my first year++ of DE shaving my school of thought was to go more aggressive. I've tried slants, open combs and adjustables set as high as they would go. Ultimately, I didn't care for my slants or open combs as much as my other razors and didn't want a dozen razors laying around so I sold them. Out of curiosity, I decided to see how low I could go on my adjustables and still get a nice shave. I found I could go significantly lower and still get the same shave as with a more aggressive razor with less sting and irritation when I apply aftershave. I'm getting the same result, I'm just cutting off less hair in the earlier passes. I've moved from going more aggressive to seeking out moderate to mild razors.

For me, the blade isn't a very big factor. Unless it's a really poor blade only suitable for scraping paint, I can get a great shave from most blades.

I haven't noticed much difference in blades, but a pronounced difference in razors. Personna Reds, Wilkinsons, Astra SPs and Personna Blues all feel the same to me. An SE and a New require a fewer passes and result in a closer shave than a Tech or a Merkur 38C for me.

Last edited:
My takeaway is that less aggressive razors increase the comfort level of my shave. If I put a decent blade into a Tech, Super Speed or Feather Popular, I'll have an extremely comfortable shave. Two passes is the minimum for any combination of blade and razor.

I don't understand the cheap feeling to it part though ...

I did not understand this part either. My custom R41 razors are not all that cheap (looking, feeling, or COST)

proxy.php

I must be doing something wrong . I definitely do not get the same shave results when I use my R41 compared to a tech.
Me too with my Old Type.
2 passes with that & I'm DFS/BBS. It takes 3 passes to get similar results with my Tech & DE89.
After enough passes the milder razor will catch up, simply because it's a case of diminishing returns with the aggressive razor on each successive pass. I really don't see the point of scraping skin off with a more aggressive razor just to follow a doctrine of shaving say 5 passes with every razor regardless.

Want a really close shave? Try a straight. :lol:

Anyway, I find I do get a much better shave when using a more aggressive razor, the trick has been finding the right aggressive razor. The R41 is a tad too aggressive for me, but I am liking the ATT H1 and H2 plates because they don't seem to cause as much irritation as the R41.

and for those of you that like aggressive razors but get those occasional nicks, I'm serious in suggesting you try a straight. Once I started shaving with a straight my DE shaves got better, perhaps because I was really paying very close attention to blade angle--something you learn to do with a straight.

Last edited:
My takeaway is that less aggressive razors increase the comfort level of my shave. If I put a decent blade into a Tech, Super Speed or Feather Popular, I'll have an extremely comfortable shave. Two passes is the minimum for any combination of blade and razor.
Same here. My daily razors are a Feather Popular, and a Schick Krona. Both plastic, lightweight, and mild. And both give me a very comfortable shave in two passes.

Yes, I tried more agressive razors, and I concluded that these are not for me.

Top Bottom