What's new

My Table Leg Brush

I had a knot left over from this restoration debacle that I was going to return to TGN, but as I was looking at the baluster on my handrail when walking upstairs, I was hit with an intriguing idea for making a brush handle.

I scooted on down to Lowe's to have a look around, and spotted a short colonial table leg for $1.60 out-the-door that contained what looked to be an interesting handle design.

proxy.php

I removed the screw and the very top and bottom sections to reveal an eclectic mix of Persian jar and chess piece. Having the screw was kind of nice as it gave me a perfectly centered pilot hole that was simple to open up to the desired width and depth.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A test fit with my TGN 20mm Super Badger fan knot (actually seems closer to 21mm-22mm).

proxy.php

I don't care for the look of wood grain in my brush handles, so I gave it two coats of primer, two coats of satin black, and two coats of satin clear. Final dimensions are a 60mm handle with a 47mm-48mm loft.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I love it! Good use of a creative thought. I wish I had an extra knot hanging around. I'd steel your idea. that is very impressive.

Now I'm going to be looking at everything and wondering if it could be made into a brush

It's not too hard to do when you consider that brush handle designs originally came from other objects like Persian jars, beehives, milk churns, and I'm sure a table leg or two has inspired a brush maker.

Haha, it's amazing what you can find looking around. That turned out great! On my lathe right now is the vertical block of the support bars from my old bed frame (just got a new one). No blanks have arrived yet, so it gave me something to turn into a brush.

It's not too hard to do when you consider that brush handle designs originally came from other objects like Persian jars, beehives, milk churns, and I'm sure a table leg or two has inspired a brush maker.
Hmmm, I wonder if a belaying pin inspired the long handled barber's brush?

Top Bottom