What's new

My Swedish Trio

So, It didnt take long until SRAD set in quite seriously and thanks to Honed/Jens, this stunning Swedish trio arrived last week.

Due to a sudden trip into China the day after I didn´t have time to shave with any of them yet and to be honest I am having trouble to choose which one to begin with! I love them all:001_tt1:

Pictures below are courtesy of Honed, it is to heavy rain here to allow natural daylight photography.

From top to bottom (All rescaled in wood by Honed):

Engström i bubinga 11/16 frameback
F.W Söderen 4/8 ¼ hollow
C.V Heljestrand faux frameback

While still being very new to straight shaving, I enjoyed the Heljstrand today. It feels very comfortable in my hand and for me well balanced. Because of moving and travelling I have only managed a few straight shaves since end of April and I still cannot match the shaves I had before the move, perhaps it is becaise of less good lighting and that I in the new (smaller) bathroom end up with my right elbow close to the wall while shaving, or perhaps I´m just unfocused. In either case today was one step in the right direction, lather (proraso, facelather) got a bit too thick and sticky, but I did reduce the beard on chins, neck and upper lip - the area under my jaws are still a problem - but I do not worry about that, still focusing on a good shave on other parts and learn the rest later. Managing my left hand comes first and has proven to be quite a challenge!

Better lather and 5 degrees steeper angle on the blade tomorrow might do it!

Finished of with my Futur and am getting increasingly disappointed with it - feels ironic to do three passes with a straight only to get a nick from a modern futur on setting 3 (feathers). Even my Old Type Ball End shaves better than that stylish lump of metal.

Tomorrow will most probably be an Engström shave - I wanna try a frameback!

Do not be discouraged, it takes a lot of time to learn this way of shaving. I am approaching 150 shaves and I am still learning things. IIRC it took me at least 10 shaves before I felt comfortable not touching up with my DE and 40 shaves before I was getting consistent DFS. Take it easy and enjoy the process, do not try too hard and never do anything that does not feel right. You will figure it out in time.

What a nice set of beautiful razors. I know you will enjoy them. I have a vintage Heljestrand No. 6 and it is one of the very best shavers in my collection. I always look forward to using it.

I have three Swedish razors and all three are excellent.
4/8 Heljestrand MK24
6/8 Heljestrand No. 6
4/8 Strega (WWII razor made in Eskilstuna, Sweden)

I must say that the two nimble 4/8s are remarkable shavers in their own right and measure up really well against the larger 6/8. I can see why the Swedes seemed to produce a lot of 4/8s. I will be interested to hear how you like the framebacks.

Hope you have many happy shaves with your new Swedish Trio!
:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Just tried the Engström frameback this morning - I think I need one or two more framebacks in my collection! This time the later was a bit better, but still too dense and sticky to work 100%, but nevertheless the shave was better - much better! If it had been weekend and not work day I could have left the apartment without touching up afterwards - to my own surprise i have begun to navigate better around the jaw and chin area as well as having definite improvement on using my left hand. Tomorrow I will try the F.W Söderen 1/4 hollow and see if I can replicate todays performance or if it is the frameback that is easier for me to handle - I definitely felt as if it was guiding me through the shave today!

And yes - not one nick or cut to day as well!

Just tried the Engström frameback this morning - I think I need one or two more framebacks in my collection! This time the later was a bit better, but still too dense and sticky to work 100%, but nevertheless the shave was better - much better! If it had been weekend and not work day I could have left the apartment without touching up afterwards - to my own surprise i have begun to navigate better around the jaw and chin area as well as having definite improvement on using my left hand. Tomorrow I will try the F.W Söderen 1/4 hollow and see if I can replicate todays performance or if it is the frameback that is easier for me to handle - I definitely felt as if it was guiding me through the shave today!

And yes - not one nick or cut to day as well!
Great to see that you're enjoying your shaves!

Top Bottom