What's new

My straight razor journey

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Aidah once you get to about 40 to 50 SR shaves, consider getting a Gold Dollar W59. Not expensive. It looks intimidating but can be a pleasure to shave with.

IMG_20200919_065313.jpg
I have a M7DS + 1 of them and they are one of my favourite sets.

@Aidah once you get to about 40 to 50 SR shaves, consider getting a Gold Dollar W59. Not expensive. It looks intimidating but can be a pleasure to shave with.

I have a M7DS + 1 of them and they are one of my favourite sets.
Funny that you mention that. I ordered 2 from ali Express after seeing you post in the gold dollar thread. I figured I'd get two on the chance one comes in unacceptable condition. Just have to wait a month or two for it to arrive.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Funny that you mention that. I ordered 2 from ali Express after seeing you post in the gold dollar thread. I figured I'd get two on the chance one comes in unacceptable condition. Just have to wait a month or two for it to arrive.
Sounds like perfect timing. They should arrive sharp but not shave-ready. First check their bevels with sharpie pen and loupé so you will know what you need to do with your honing.

Enjoy.

So I now have between 20-30 straight razor shaves under my belt. For the most part my technique is improving and I'm razor getting any irritation or giving myself anything worse then a minor weeper. I have found shaping my beard to be challenging when I'm trying to make lines at an angle.

In addition to that I've acquired two new razors since my last post. Black Friday sales at Maggards made it difficult for me to resist, especially since I want to try blades from different vendors. I bought a 6/8 Boker Celebrated razor and a Ralf Aust 6/8 square point horn scales from Maggards on Black Friday. With this, I now have six straight razors in my regular rotation, so I'm only 1 away from an assorted seven day set. I'm finding I'm liking a point on the end to try to get into smaller areas to trim.

dickens-sotd.jpg
a4wAChQ.jpg

Beautiful razors (though I was always going to be biased - I have the Boker in wenge scales and a 5/8 square point Aust).

I've been shaving with a straight for over 20 years. I never honed (if we don't consider "barbers dry hone" as "honing"). I stropped, and I honed on the dry hone when I experienced "tugging". I have a BFF who shaves with straight as long as I do, and he shaves off of 3000 stone (my "number" is 8000). Before I joined this forum (short while ago), I didn't know about Naniwa 12K, and I've never heard about "balsa stropping". So,...where am I going with this "intro"?

In my experience (between me and my BFF), sharpness of the edge one needs, is an individual thing. It depends on the type of skin (first and foremost), type of hair, and the technique (of course, pre shave creams, lotions, type of lather, etc. all play a certain role as well). To me, ....3000 grit shaving does not feel good. To my BFF, 3000 is PERFECT. Go figure. I don't use any "pre shaving products",...I shower, I dry off, lather my face, shave (no nicks ever), and splash a bit of aftershave. That's me,.....what will work with other people out there, is VERY individual.

Since I joined this crowd here (and learned about 12K honing, and beyond), I thought I owe it to myself to try it. So I purchased the stones, and I'm going to construct balsa as well,....just to see "what was I missing" (if anything). I know for a fact, that my Grandfather, and my Father (who both shaved with Solingen blades in WW1, and WW2), did NOT have Naniwa progression stones, never heard about "balsa strops", and never used anything except the soap they washed themselves with, and either Vodka, or Slivovitz for after shave (in the war of course),....what they used after the wars were over,...I don't know (trying to learn).

Wolfgang, I hear you. I'm in the same boat.

I've shaved for 22 years with a straight and a strop (plus some Chromium oxide), only this year I bought a 3k/8k synthetic stone. I had a 'souvenir' straight from Spain which was blunt so I figured buying a stone was cheaper than buying a new razor. This year I also bought 5 Chinese razors that had to be honed as they were no where near shave ready.

I agree it must be a hair thickness and skin thing. I read about guys honing their razors after relatively few shaves and wonder how long the razor will last. Here is a closeup of my first razor, check out the spine wear; none!

Espe razor.jpg

Nope. Just the hone he uses for his knives/swords (I don't know what kind, I'm not "into" knives/swords), and linen/horse hide strop. I specifically asked him about the finest grit he uses, and he said 3K.

i’ve had decent shaves off a low level grit i think 1200 iirc. I’ll try a 3k this weekend and see how it goes.

Why didn't I start this SR shaving in my teens? It’s been over two months now and I only touch my de razors to do cleanup since I’m only comfortable doing two passes with my SR. At this point my SR collection has grown to six razors with the one below being my newest acquisition. It’s a 6/8 kikuboshi and it shaves like a dream. When I get to 7 for an assorted seven day set I’ll post the full pics of all of them.

0974EEDE-F0B7-4E29-9919-DEFCC6FF5959.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With a seven-day set and a 0.1um diamond pasted balsa strop, you will only need to perform edge maintenance one day each week. Each Sunday I spend about 10 to 15 minutes giving each SR in that week's M7DS 50 laps on a 0.1um pasted hanging balsa strop. That is all that is required to keep their edges in perfect condition.

Top Bottom