What's new

My story

A few years ago, working a late shift in southern Iraq I came across an article that intrigued me. It spoke at length about the nature of being a man, and how that nature has been lost.

Reading through the article, in that place that the modern world has seemingly forgotten, I started thinking of the things I'd only read about in Hemingway novels and seeing in old black and white films. Working on your own car in the shade of an old elm tree ... holding open the door for the ladies ... understanding that rough hands and leathered faces sometimes tell the stories of our lives that we have no words for.

In my short time here I've seen those things disappear. I saw in that article that the true Renaissance man has all but become extinct. My father wasn't that man, but both my grandfathers wear. Men of few words, big actions, and hands as rough as sandpaper from the lives they lived.

I finished the article that night, jotting down notes about my own life, seeing things I could do to get back to my roots, defining myself on index cards in the dark. I tucked those cards into a mo-bag a few days later and didn't look at them again until I unpacked them in northern Iraq two years later.

As it happened I had some time to reflect on what I'd written. I'd made some improvements, but the lost art of shaving my face with a blade was one I hadn't even attempted progress on. And then late one night, in the Cadillac latrine I was standing there getting ready for a mid. In the basin beside me was an OGA contractor ... shaving his face and dome with a straight razor.

We sat and talked for twenty minutes about the process, the enjoyment ... learned past time. He pointed me here, although I cannot remember his name, and said to do the research.

And so I did. I came home a few months later, and began doing some reading and decided that a DE was probably mild enough to start with. So I started looking ... I didn't want to order one online because I wanted to hold it in my hand, get a feel for the metal in my hand; after all, I'd never wrapped my fingers around one.

I started talking with some of my older friends, ones who I felt may have used one at one point for some advice. Most of them weren't familiar enough, but then my welder of all men ... his eyes lit up when I asked. He led me into his living room where he showed me a DE his father had been issued in the military at one point. I don't recall the brand, but it was in amazing condition. I knew at that moment this was where my search had been leading me.

I spent a few days calling places in town, looking for supplies and razors and had no luck ... and then I had luck twice in the same day by two different people.

My welder had gone out of state for a weekend and wound up hitting an enormous flea market - he picked up my first razor, an old Gillette. His son-in-law had also gone with him, and picked up another as well. The following day they were both presented, and I couldn 't wait to try it out. I ordered some soap, a Tweezerman brush, and bowl online and then I bought the only package of blades I could find in town at the time (Equaline).

Not willing to wait, I used some Gillette shave gel this morning ... went slow. When I was finished, no nicks, no cuts, I felt refreshed. I felt manly. I walked around all day with a kick in my step because I knew I was the only man in the room who cut the stubble off his chin this morning with a razor blade. I know it'll only get better as I continue and when I start using real supplies, but it was a great feeling.

Used to be that I didn't bother shaving all weekend or when on leave ... now I think I'll shave more often :)

Now on to my identification question; I snapped pictures of the two blades. I have no idea how to restore them but am sure I'll find out soon enough. I would like to find out what they are though. If anyone has any ideas I'm open, and would appreciate it.

Oh one more thing ... thanks for having me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great story - I loved reading your post! Welcome to B&B and you're in the company of a lot of others who feel the same way you do. I hope you stick around and post more.

The twist to open is a 40's style super speed.
The 3 piece is a ball end tech.
both are nickel plated. Scrubbing bubbles or an equivalent bathroom cleaner is usually enough to clean them up nicely and sanitize them.
A mild polish (nothing harsh like brasso) should make them shine like new if that's your aim.

Last edited:
Always nice to hear how people "got into" DE shaving and I enjoyed reading your history. +1 on the ID's and cleaning advice above. Both are good razors for the new and experienced alike, the Twist To Open (TTO) one is slight more desirable in terms of value but the other three piece one is equally as good at shaving.

I can really relate to that kick in the step, My first "real shaving kit" was a Merkur HD, Taylors Rose cream and an Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush. I used the Merkur blades that came with the razor, while I now realise these blades are not to my taste, it was still a heck of a lot better than the results before and I did feel more like a gentleman then a man after it. Now I feel like a lab rat trying all sort of combinations of soaps, blades, brushes and razors but even on my worst shave the results are still better than before.

Welcome and it is nice to have you around, there is loads of info on here but feel free to ask away on anything you cannot find out.

Welcome to B&B young man and thanks for the great story. When you spend a lot of time in a foreign place and really alone, you reflect a lot on many things. You obviously have and have come away much the wiser. Your story may appear to be about shaving but it's really about life. Welcome young man.

Len

Great story and thanks for your service! :thumbup1:

Congrats not only on your first DE shave, but also on your "life awareness". It can be an awesome journey. :001_smile

Great post. Welcome, welcome. The two razors you have are excellent razors to start with and continue using. They are both on the milder end but shave very, very well.

...thanks for the great story. When you spend a lot of time in a foreign place and really alone, you reflect a lot on many things. You obviously have and have come away much the wiser. Your story may appear to be about shaving but it's really about life.
+1. That was a great post.

For blades, check out a sample pack from West Coast Shaving. That way you can experiment with different combinations and find the one that works best for you.

Welcome to B&B.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Welcome to B&B, and congrats. on being back home!

Both of your razors are great shavers. To clean them up a bit, I was advised to get a spray bottle of scrubbing bubbles, take the top off, and pour enough of it into a container to just cover the razor. Let it soak for 5 or 10 minutes then take an old, soft toothbrush to it, dipping the toothbrush into the scrubbing bubbles. Then you might want to use a mild polish (not brasso), but my super speed cleaned up well without it.

Some good directions are here:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Safety_razor_maintenance

And here:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Razor_cleaning_and_restoration

Again, congrats. on being back home!

welcome and Thank you for your service. I think part of the reason that I switched to a DE is that I long for days of Gary Cooper.We were happier and more civilized back in the 50s and 60s.

Aye. Welcome!

You've got the right tools to start with, that's for sure. I started with the same TTO, and it was an excellent item to learn with.

As for "restoring", they appear to be in good shape. As has been said, give em a few blasts with scrubbing bubbles, let 'em sit for 5 min, and for my part I've had good luck giving 'em a scrubdown (while the bubbles are still on 'em) with an old toothbrush. Rinse and dry and you're off to the races. You can repeat this every couple weeks to keep 'em lookin' nice.

I've used Maas polish (got mine at Ace hardware) to great effect -- it's mild enough to use without worry. I'd recommend against taking anything like a dremel or mechanical buffing wheel to them. Your fingers and a rag are all that's needed.

+1 to the suggestion of a sample pack. You'll find what you like soon enough.
Enjoy!
-- Chet

Thanks for all the replies. I'm happy my first razors are decent enough to begin with. I'm anxiously awaiting my brush and soap, which hopefully will arrive next week.

I'll begin looking for a good deal on a sampler pack ... my splurge cash is a little tight right now as I'm near the tail end of a frame off restoration on an old Land Rover and, if you've never done one, the stack of receipts gets tall fast :)

I'm thankful for the advice and will continue to do my research.

Great story!

Can I ask about the original article that got you thinking about all this in the first place?
Do you happen to recall any details about what magazine, author, or date?
Thanks!

Top Bottom