What's new

My Solid Set Restore

It really looks great. I'm looking forward to your report on how it works and how it looks after use. I'm truly amazed at how nice it turned out.

Amazing work! You are lucky it had the chip in the handle. If it didn't it would have never turned out so cool! The seashell bottom is great.
Haha I don't know if I would call it lucky but it was definitely a learning experience. And I'm very happy with the result in the end!
It really looks great. I'm looking forward to your report on how it works and how it looks after use. I'm truly amazed at how nice it turned out.
Thanks Jim! Welcome to B&B! Thanks for reading my thread! :biggrin1:

That turned out way nicer than I would've dreamed, so many of you guys are great at these restores, I suppose what I've done in the past is just knot replacement, but this is a true restore and beyond, well done!

That looks great! The seashell inset really complements the black and white of the handle. Can't wait to see the post bloom shots!

Thanks for all the kind words my friends!! It was a great first project. A lot of challenges here and there and I obviously messed it up at one point, but overall it really turned out great. The knot is set much differently than any of my other brushes so if should be a good addition to the den. A bit on the small side, but I think it'll be a good one.

Finally have the time to get a test lather in. Pics to follow shortly! :biggrin1:

I was very excited to get this guy wet and grab the soap! I used L'Occitaine Cade tonight as it's whats currently mashed down in the bottom of my soap bowl. It also has a good scent to it and it easily knocked out any stink that might have been there; there really wasn't much.

First a good soak was in order. The curvature on the bottom of the handle easily held it in place in my bowl and the bottom of the handle really shows it stuff here.
$photo 1-1.jpg
Some quick loading in my VDH bowl. I can tell that loading needs to be done carefully with this brush in that bowl. I clinked the edges of the bowl a couple times and cringed a bit.

All loaded up:
$photo 2-1.jpg
Built in the bowl tonight because it wasn't time for a shave yet. The shape of the handle really shines here. I almost exclusively face lather but this brush does great in the bowl. I had no problem whipping up great lather in little time:
$photo 3-1.jpg
I loaded up the brush so that I could test how much lather the knot could hold, as again, I almost exclusively bowl lather.
$photo 4.jpg
I ran the brush across the hand and covered it many times with a shave worthy lather and then rinsed. My guess was around 3 passes worth of lather. I think I'd be able to get more out of it face lathering though.

And a few more pics in the next post.

Some comparison shots with the initial bloom. These are just after rinsing and drying from the first lathering. The brush is pretty dry, but not completely.

From Left to Right: Simpson's Duke 2 in Best, Solid Set with a TGN Finest 18mm knot set at 45mm, Cocobolo handle with a TGN Finest XH 22mm knot set at 48mm
$photo 1-2.jpg
$photo 2-2.jpg
Although its not as dense as either brush it still performed very well. Of course, I'll need a few shaves with it to really judge but I think this brush will be awesome for face lathering.

One final shot of the initial bloom. I took several pictures, might as well use some of them :biggrin1:
$photo 5.jpg
:drool:

I just want to thank you all one more time. I really appreciated all the help and encouragement throughout this project. Hopefully I was able to help someone else with the process that I laid out here. In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled for my next projects. I have two more lined up and ready to get started. If you pay some close attention to the pictures in this thread you might just be able to spot them.... :ninja:

Thanks guys! It was a really fun project and it ended up being a great brush! Its been a great face latherer so far, although I wish the knot was a little denser.

Thanks guys! It was a really fun project and it ended up being a great brush! Its been a great face latherer so far, although I wish the knot was a little denser.

Absolutely outstanding restore! The custom bottom was very ingenious. You sir, are an inspiration, and I will look to this thread in my coming (god knows when I'll find the time) restoration projects. Thank you very much for sharing your process and experience. You have got one gorgeous brush there! Enjoy!

Absolutely outstanding restore! The custom bottom was very ingenious. You sir, are an inspiration, and I will look to this thread in my coming (god knows when I'll find the time) restoration projects. Thank you very much for sharing your process and experience. You have got one gorgeous brush there! Enjoy!
Thanks mate! That one is my first but I put more into it than any other I've done so far. I still love the look. It's the only brush I hang in the den because I like seeing the custom bottom.

Simply stunning work. These finest knots take a bit to break in. Not as long as boar, but longer than silvertip. This brush will change character over the first dozen of shaves. My experience is it changes it for the better. The flow-through improves and overall feel of the brush becomes so good you will have trouble reaching for others. However that Cocobolo handle with the two band finest would keep me from even dreaming of other brushes.

Great job! Amazing looking restore.

Simply stunning work. These finest knots take a bit to break in. Not as long as boar, but longer than silvertip. This brush will change character over the first dozen of shaves. My experience is it changes it for the better. The flow-through improves and overall feel of the brush becomes so good you will have trouble reaching for others. However that Cocobolo handle with the two band finest would keep me from even dreaming of other brushes.

Great job! Amazing looking restore.
I'll definitely agree with you that these knots mature after some use. They seem to loosen up a bit. Flow thru improves greatly and the knot seems to get a tiny bit softer. It was very clear in the Cocobolo brush as its a Finest XH knot and the extra density really changes the time frames for it to properly break in. It's by far my favorite brush and has been since I first received it. A beautiful handle and a perfect knot!

Really nice work! I just bought a few vintage handles and now I don't want to try to restore them because I'll never make them look as good as yours.

Top Bottom