What's new

My Simpson brushes and why I won't settle on my next brush.

I have thoroughly enjoyed many of my Simpson brushes and currently own a Chubby 1 in super, a Duke 3 in best, a Classic 2 in best, a Wee-Scot (in best), a Classic 1 synthetic, and my newest a Major in super. I briefly owned a Case in best.

While the Wee-Scot is great for what it is, I wanted a little larger, less scritchy brush for travel. My first attempt at a new travel brush was the Case in best. I liked the size of the brush and was happy with how it lathered, however it felt too scritchy for me. It seems that the badger hair in best for the both the Classic 2 and Duke 3 is of a higher grade than that of the Wee-Scot and the Case.

My next attempt was to try the Classic 1 synthetic. The Classic 1 synthetic is a good travel size for me, bristles are extremely soft (maybe too soft) with good backbone and drys quickly. But this brush was also not for me. It forced me to smash the brush against my face as it would not splay at all. Two replacement travel brushes now and neither was right for me. I should have bought the Major in super to begin with.

I received the Major yesterday and used it today. It is exactly what I was looking for. As illustrated in the picture, the knot has begun to bloom nicely after the first use. This brush has good backbone and good face feel for me. I believe it will also dry quickly, however I cannot yet verify that as I did not stay home to see if how quickly it would dry. The actual brush, its style and its handle (travel case) all scream out "high quality precision brush". I should have bought this brush in the first place and would have both saved money and time since I ended up with it anyway.

Like razors, blades and soaps, brushes are highly personal in what is desired, but for me I have found my ideal travel brush. YMMV.

Attachments

• IMG_20171130_080001868.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 73
You know those moments when you have an issue but you don't realise it until someone gives you the solution? I'm having one now.

Chubby 1 Super is my daily and I picked up a Wee Scot specifically for travel, but like you I find it a tad scritchy. This really is something I'm prepared to put up with, however, now I'm looking at a Major in Super!

You know those moments when you have an issue but you don't realise it until someone gives you the solution? I'm having one now.

Chubby 1 Super is my daily and I picked up a Wee Scot specifically for travel, but like you I find it a tad scritchy. This really is something I'm prepared to put up with, however, now I'm looking at a Major in Super!

Save yourself the trouble that I had and go right for the Major in super. If you are anything like me, you will end up with it anyway and better not to have several backup travel brushes that you know you will never use.

Gentlemen, stop this please. I don't need another brush. This forum is really making me re-think this conjecture...

Glad you've found an ideal travel brush for yourself sm29! One area I can comment on from personal experience is Simpson Best. You may have heard of Best having variances in what you can get, and I can attest to this lottery of badger hair so to speak when buying a Simpson brush. I've had scrubby to so soft you would believe they put Super inside on accident. I sold my first Case in best years ago and am back around to owning a Case in best again, and the two are complete opposites. The one I have now is much softer, and of a slightly higher loft which allows the lather to flow so much better than my old Case did. Thankfully it was never harsh and I'm sure it's enjoying a wonderful life with it's new owner.

glad you found the brush you were looking for. My travel brush is a simpson special in best (stored in an old medicine container with holes drilled in it)

E54E16A1-DF03-4E17-8FF2-CC1991887B76.jpeg
5B5EB67B-87EA-4C99-B8AD-2302CED2D694.jpeg
Gotta admit my new Simpsons Chubby 2 Manchurian is a winner !!

I loved it when the Sapphire, Ruby and other handle materials were introduced to the market. I don't usually have idea for custom brushes, but a few months of staring at them an idea for a brush. I've seen brushes embedded with items such as coins, and other objects into the handle, and taking the namesakes of the handle materials gave me an idea. What about possibly implementing another hobby I have of searching Montana paydirt for sapphires and putting a finished sapphire or ruby into one of those handles? I unfortunately have no rubies, but do have sapphires. One item that would make it a bit difficult is most of what I have is blue in nature and probably wouldn't show up well in the sapphire material.

Top Bottom