What's new

My shaving story at The Art of Shaving store

Hey Gents,

I have a nice story to tell you about I went to The Art of Shaving to take a shave.

It was on Friday Afternoon, I took a ride from ACCESS LINKS which is NJ Transit to the Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, NJ at 12:40 pm and I didn't arrive untill 12:55 pm and I ran to the Borders Books and Music to meet my female cousin and her husband to chat and walk around in Borders and after we left Borders we went to near C.O. Bigelow I went there and they left the mall and went to home.

Then I went to Bigelow and look around while I'm waiting my appointment at 2:00 pm for shave.

Finally, around 2:00 pm I went in The Art of Shaving and browse while the manager is talking to the customer at the cashier. I know the Manager Cathi but don't know her very well I me her few times. She is very lady. At 2 pm, appointment is ready. I met the yound man named Carlos and I sat down the chair and took a traditional shave which about 30 minutes.

First, he put hot towel on my face for 2 or three mins and put nice warm unscented shaving cream on my face and shave with straight razor (I think he use disposable blade that you put thin blade slide in the straight razor) and shave down, side way, upward, etc. Do you know how many pass he did to me? 4 pass! I can't believe it! I got few nicks and cuts. I feel slight razor burns. And the shaving is ok but not great.

I pay $35 plus tip. This is worst shaving experience I ever had.

I left the store. I will but the product again but I would never never get that shave again at AOS.

Chris A

Leaving a tip re-enforced the bad behavior.

Should have deducted a dollar for every nick/weeper from the price of the shave too.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

It seems that most barber-shave stories sounds like this ... maybe they don't know what they're doing, or maybe we're expecting too much.

In any case, from what I've heard here, I don't think I'd ever get a barber shave ... unless it was from someplace like a T&H shop or our very own Barber of Deville.

Sorry to hear you didn't get a very good shave. That is a lot of money really. That is why I haven't gone to get a shave yet - there are very few doing it where I am and I know I would get right grumpy if I had paid out near forty bucks and had an experience like you did. :mad:

I don't know about the notion of expecting too much - I'm hopeful my doctor is not working on that premise!

I imagine though a good experience would be wonderful.

For every one story I hear about a good barbershop shave, I hear about 100 terrible ones. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

For every one story I hear about a good barbershop shave, I hear about 100 terrible ones. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

+1 Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have heard so many horror stories I don't think I will ever get a barber shop shave.

Before you blame the barber, remember that the health code will not allow them to use a real straight razor. At least that's health code in New York City.

Before you blame the barber, remember that the health code will not allow them to use a real straight razor. At least that's health code in New York City.

So? many use these type of razors and get great shaves at home. I wouldn't be making excuses for incompetent "barbers".

Try Arturo's on 46th between 5th and 6th (Little Brazil). Shave costs between 45 and 55 but I've never had a nick, weeper or a razor burn. Better deal than down on Lex and much less (55 vs.85).

G

gone down south

So? many use these type of razors and get great shaves at home. I wouldn't be making excuses for incompetent "barbers".

You shave your face 5-7 times a week for years, and have worked your way through the entire internet's worth of products, razors, pre- and post- shave routines, etc. identifying precisely what works for you and how.

The AOS barber has never seen you before, probably does a half dozen shaves per week total, and uses generic mass-market products.

Who's going to give the better shave?

I fail to see why I should pay someone a fistful of cash to do something I could do better myself. I've only had one barber shop shave in my life. The prep was great, but the shave sucked since he didn't know my face. It only cost me $15 about 9 years ago, but never again will I let someone else shave my face when I enjoy doing it so much myself.

Top Bottom