My shavette journey

Sanguine (1st-gen)
Universal (half-blade)
Sextoblade (military)
Sextoblade (original)
Sextoblade Jr.
Sedef
IMG_20200320_212104.jpg

Ok sanguine same razor as bluebeard-Dreadnaught minimal blade exposure has been in production since like 2009 great bang for the buck ( will update on shave just got it)

Universal-half blade ( in production since like 2010), minimal blade exposure very forgiving like a straight razor ( definitely disappointing quality control) the specs are off ... Thinking the full original better specs if you don't mind an 8/8
(Surprisingly shaves like a straight)

Sextoblade , very popular razor handle exactly like a straight ( as far as handle goes not shave though) 2nd or 3rd shave off a personna usually better , not forgiving ..proraso worked best your lather very important you need coushine

Sextoblade military ...The weight messes it up , turns the handle ( I won't go with all stainless again ) I'd keep it original and traditional .....cool to have but I'd pass more a showpiece

Sextoblade Jr. Same demensions and weight as sedef ...honestly probably better shaves than original but not much use , due to I feel it's feminine compared to my larger one (but yes overall better shaves)

Sextoblade original ... $30 every shavette shaver should own one!

Sedef ( bottom 2 ) been around forever all Turkish barbers use ... $6.00 first class shipped, best deal iv gotten ... Not like any other straight razor or shavette ...blade is stable , handle has jimps and feels very nice ... Looks exactly like a straight to the nacked eye !! The marvelous THING ABOUT THIS RAZOR is you can shave VERY VERY VERY quickly ..fast confident strokes , with the lightness and how it's made ...pretty amazing I think preffered over sextoblade.

I skipped the Durham's and the Parker's (sanguine supposed better build) on my to buy list I want a Kurenai (DE , Dx clone off AliExpress ) and a Vanta half blade ...il go Kia Captain /feather or universal full blade...if I like the larger style Kurenai

Also skipped the push type , due to research ( if I get a PT probably filarmonica or Parker) but doubtful I will...Parker's plastic doesn't seem to hold up

Love the Sedef thinking my favorite so far
And ...sanguine $17.00 shipped from U.K it's been around forever and will last many years..il leave a comment comparison to the universal
IMG_20200320_213710.jpg

Awesome purchase , great quality case $17.00 total ....NOW OFF FOR MY SHAVE!!

Ok ,

Sanguine vs Universal

(San.left). (Uni.right)
IMG_20200321_001113.jpg

IMG_20200321_001225.jpg

Just finished a 3 pass shave with sanguine , wtg atg xtg ....

Ok , these are both high quality barbor razors

Universal $42 shipped, has slightly less blade exposure and just a tad bit more forgiving not by much ...does have nearly twice the weight and feels more like holding a real straight ...upon buying as someone using strictly sextoblades the past 5months ...1st thought ..WOW LIKE A STRAIGHT ... due to how forgiving ATG went real well ...disappointingly the specs-measurements are not perfect , regarding the inner bumps also regarding the handle and Tang ...this is a pretty big disappointment.
( the full does not have these issues ) haven't shaved with a full but I think the universals selling point and popularity is due to taking a full DE

Sanguine ,$17.00 shipped ...universal has a better build quality and finish ... Upon buying I sanded slight burrs from the plastic and tip of metal ( mind you I highly examine kinda OCD about it ) a normal person may not notice .. has just slightly more blade exposure , the handle is probably better design and it is full to specs ..no disappointment ....the greatest thing about this razor is the size of the head is same length as blade ... Giving you an easy cut in ... That was my first thought upon using.

Half-Blades
Overall if I where to suggest one , for the price it be sanguine ( doesn't have the weight like the universal - immitating a real straight) ... Interested in a universal I'd say go with the full blade and not be disappointed with the specs.

Wish I could compare these to the Parker's , but I never liked the look of that bump anyhow ... I buy the ones that immitate a real straight , that's why I'm second thinking the feathers , see how I like Kurenai first

Great post. I enjoyed it.

I have tried about 4 shavettes, like weck, dovo, a Chinese AC kind and the Universal Full blade.

I have kept only the Universal. Sorry for the problems in your model. I do not have any.

Personally, I would like to try a feather / kai shavette.

Have you considered to try the sanguine which uses an injector blade?

Top Bottom