What's new

My Semi-Auto Shotgun search

I was looking for a new semi-auto shotgun recently and searched and researched for a little over a month. Looking at gas operated vs. recoil vs. inertia vs. hybrid.
Lot's of choices and I really didn't restrict myself to any one price range. If I found something that I thought would fit the desire and it cost $1000 I would take it and be happy. But I also didn't restrict myself in the opposite direction either. If the gun was low cost but fit the requirements I would buy it and be happy as well.

After a month of searching and deciding what I wanted. I decided to look for a hybrid system.
First because I didn't want a full gas system due to increased maintenance and likely needing to swap out gas seals for different level shotgun loads.
For example several semi-autos both big names and cheapies require that only High brass be used for a break-in period. Some even come with two different gas seals for use with different
loads. Etc...

Not that this is a bad thing, many very nice and very reliable guns come this way. And have served users for many years of trouble free service. But I didn't want a full gas gun.
Some would say, well then buy an inertia gun!
And that would be fine except for one tiny issue that all inertia guns tend to have, They don't tend to like and function well with light loads. They work great with standard or heavy loads but tend to have issues with light loads and particularly if you fire from the hip.

This is the exact reason that the US Marine corps rejected full inertia guns when choosing a shotgun a few years ago. They ultimately chose a hybrid system that uses a gas piston to unlock the action and inertia to reload. Their M4 by Benelli was the first hybrid inertia gun adopted by any armed forces.

With that in mind I went on a search for just such a hybrid system in a semi-auto shotgun.
And there are several of them out there. But they are either made by Benelli/Beretta/Stoeger or they are made in Turkey under brand names we are totally unfamiliar with.

By the way guns like I am describing with the hybrid action are pretty common in Europe. And are sold under a myriad of brand names. Mossberg International even sells several models. CZ, Wetherby, and several other brands that you might recognize sell some versions of these hybrid guns.

But I found one of those hidden "gems" in a showcase in the local WalMart. It is the Hatfield SAS-12. That was on sale recently for the grand price of $198.

Now this gun has been out for several years now. And most of the reviews you find on Youtube and in magazines deal with 1st generation versions of this gun. It had issues early on and it took a couple of years to get the issues fixed. But the ones in stores now are (4th.) generation. They have a non adjustable gas assist system which is actually and automatic self adjusting system. They have improved the forearm which early models had issues with cracking when fired with heavy loads.
And they have greatly improved the metal finish since the early models.
The Guns are made in Turkey by Hatsan. Which makes the Mossberg, the CZ, and the Weatherby guns being sold. And they are a modern well machined and well made guns.

They come with chrome-lined bores. Three choke tubes, (Beretta pattern choke tubes by the way) and they have very nice REAL Walnut stock and forearms. They can hold two rounds with the plug in place or four with it removed.
They chamber and fire 2 3/4 or 3" shells.

If you want to extend the magazine, you need only to buy an extension fr the Benelli M4 shotgun and it goes on the Hatfield and works perfectly.
Here is a picture from the internet;
hatfield.jpg

I have had mine for a while now and it has performed perfectly. I have had no failures of any kind with loads from the lightest field loads to the heaviest Turkey and Buckshot loads.
It will cycle and fire 2 3/4 and 3" rounds like a champ.
But best of all, this gun will pattern with the full choke better than ANY shotgun I have ever owned. That includes everything from H&R single barrels to Browning Superposed. The Modified choke is closer to an Imp. Modified. And the Cyl. choke is about normal.

For just over $200 out the door, I am very satisfied with this shotgun.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I was looking for a new semi-auto shotgun recently and searched and researched for a little over a month. Looking at gas operated vs. recoil vs. inertia vs. hybrid.
Lot's of choices and I really didn't restrict myself to any one price range. If I found something that I thought would fit the desire and it cost $1000 I would take it and be happy. But I also didn't restrict myself in the opposite direction either. If the gun was low cost but fit the requirements I would buy it and be happy as well.

After a month of searching and deciding what I wanted. I decided to look for a hybrid system.
First because I didn't want a full gas system due to increased maintenance and likely needing to swap out gas seals for different level shotgun loads.
For example several semi-autos both big names and cheapies require that only High brass be used for a break-in period. Some even come with two different gas seals for use with different
loads. Etc...

Not that this is a bad thing, many very nice and very reliable guns come this way. And have served users for many years of trouble free service. But I didn't want a full gas gun.
Some would say, well then buy an inertia gun!
And that would be fine except for one tiny issue that all inertia guns tend to have, They don't tend to like and function well with light loads. They work great with standard or heavy loads but tend to have issues with light loads and particularly if you fire from the hip.

This is the exact reason that the US Marine corps rejected full inertia guns when choosing a shotgun a few years ago. They ultimately chose a hybrid system that uses a gas piston to unlock the action and inertia to reload. Their M4 by Benelli was the first hybrid inertia gun adopted by any armed forces.

With that in mind I went on a search for just such a hybrid system in a semi-auto shotgun.
And there are several of them out there. But they are either made by Benelli/Beretta/Stoeger or they are made in Turkey under brand names we are totally unfamiliar with.

By the way guns like I am describing with the hybrid action are pretty common in Europe. And are sold under a myriad of brand names. Mossberg International even sells several models. CZ, Wetherby, and several other brands that you might recognize sell some versions of these hybrid guns.

But I found one of those hidden "gems" in a showcase in the local WalMart. It is the Hatfield SAS-12. That was on sale recently for the grand price of $198.

Now this gun has been out for several years now. And most of the reviews you find on Youtube and in magazines deal with 1st generation versions of this gun. It had issues early on and it took a couple of years to get the issues fixed. But the ones in stores now are (4th.) generation. They have a non adjustable gas assist system which is actually and automatic self adjusting system. They have improved the forearm which early models had issues with cracking when fired with heavy loads.
And they have greatly improved the metal finish since the early models.
The Guns are made in Turkey by Hatsan. Which makes the Mossberg, the CZ, and the Weatherby guns being sold. And they are a modern well machined and well made guns.

They come with chrome-lined bores. Three choke tubes, (Beretta pattern choke tubes by the way) and they have very nice REAL Walnut stock and forearms. They can hold two rounds with the plug in place or four with it removed.
They chamber and fire 2 3/4 or 3" shells.

If you want to extend the magazine, you need only to buy an extension fr the Benelli M4 shotgun and it goes on the Hatfield and works perfectly.
Here is a picture from the internet;
View attachment 936042

I have had mine for a while now and it has performed perfectly. I have had no failures of any kind with loads from the lightest field loads to the heaviest Turkey and Buckshot loads.
It will cycle and fire 2 3/4 and 3" rounds like a champ.
But best of all, this gun will pattern with the full choke better than ANY shotgun I have ever owned. That includes everything from H&R single barrels to Browning Superposed. The Modified choke is closer to an Imp. Modified. And the Cyl. choke is about normal.

For just over $200 out the door, I am very satisfied with this shotgun.

Chrome lined bore? Definitely sounds like alot of goodness for only $200? Have never ever considered owning a semi-auto shotgun until now. Was going to sit around all day today and do nothing, but now am going to get dressed and head to Walmart. :)

You have had it awhile now! I hope I can still find them! ;)

It will blow your mind if you just go look at one. And see what I am talking about. Mine has run just over 200 rounds now and it is flawless with high brass, field loads, heavy loads of Buckshot and even rifled slugs. Just amazing value for the price.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OK, I've read some reviews ... there were teething issues early on. And they say you have to fire a few boxes of shells to break it in.

But. Walnut. "Poor Man's Weatherby." Picky on ammo comes up ... firing pin breakage twice.

This seems odd: "This gun has a gas piston for light loads and one for heavy loads that need to be changed out to match what you are shooting. This for me is the gun's biggest drawback."

Still.

AA

edit: useful review:

Tested: Hatfield SAS Shotgun

OK, I've read some reviews ... there were teething issues early on. And they say you have to fire a few boxes of shells to break it in.

But. Walnut. "Poor Man's Weatherby." Picky on ammo comes up ... firing pin breakage twice.

This seems odd: "This gun has a gas piston for light loads and one for heavy loads that need to be changed out to match what you are shooting. This for me is the gun's biggest drawback."

Still.

AA

edit: useful review:

Tested: Hatfield SAS Shotgun

You have to remember all these reviews were on the early versions. They USED to have a gas piston that had to be changed. The ones made this year have a NEW self adjusting piston. Thus NO change needed.

Firing pin breakage... again early version. This years production has the same firing pin as the Weatherby and CZ guns. No more problems there..

The 20 gauge version is the one that really needed the few box break-in period, most of the 12 never needed it. And with the new self adjusting gas piston there is nothing to break-in really.

I in fact fired nearly 100 rounds before I cleaned it the first time. And it was less dirty than my old Remington 1100 after just a box of rounds.

Dad has bought two of them and likes them well enough. The 12 doesn't pattern as well as my grandfather's 870 with the 30" full choke, and absolutely doesn't pattern as well as the (ugh)Mossberg 835 it replaced. IIRC, they are pretty much a clone of a benelli action.

I'd buy one, but I don't think they offer a 16 gauge version, and I have too many shotguns already....the latter probably won't stop me if I find another Ithaca or three. :D

Man mine patterns like a champ! They use Benelli/Beretta pattern choke tubes so they are easy to replace/upgrade. And you can use the Benelli M4 magazine extension. So any thing you want it to do it can.

Top Bottom