What's new

My Search For Smooth

I'm not quite sure what you concluded.

So far, that the Yaqi Moka 24mm synthetic rocks. And when it comes to brushes I like zero scrub.

I can also conclude that I love Tabac. The scent can best be described as 'sickly'. Doesn't sound like a ringing endoresment but, like I said, I love Tabac.

I don't know much about sharks, but this is a tortoise.

Yep, haha. Any conclusions on the Merkur 34C vs the Fatip Gentile are little way off yet. So is my search for smooth, lol. Maybe one day...

The Red IP felt like it was just getting started last night.

34c vs ftp.png

Yaqi Moka 24mm
Palmolive Men cream

Merkur 34C & GSB (10)

I'm getting good at building good lathers. The synthetic makes it easy. Tonight I kept adding water till it was on the cusp of translucency.

A very nice shave was had but I'm not close to BBS on the left side of my jaw and there was some mild warmth for a few minutes afterwards. My technique must've fallen short somewhere along the line.

That's probably the first round I'd give to the Fatip, a close 10/9, though the judges score cards might not agree.

34c vs ftp.png

Yaqi Moka 24mm
Cella

Merkur 34C & GSB (11)

For last nights shave I started out with my first pass as usual, N-S/S-N but for my second pass I shaved XTG/ATG and ATG/XTG in one go, without relathering. Kind of a cross hatching technique. It was fairly comfortable with none of that scratching or snatching I often get shaving ATG. A bit of warmth immediately post-shave but nothing to worry about too much. BBS in a few areas above the jaw and also on the underside of my chin, just below the leading edge. Not bad.

34c vs ftp.png

Yaqi Moka 24mm
Proraso Green

Fatip Gentile & Red IP (8)

Tonight I loaded as little as I thought reasonable. Less than twenty light swirls of the Proraso Green gave me plenty enough lather for the entire shave. The Yaqi Moka does it again.

It's Fatip day so I did 2 passes and a clean-up, as true a WTG, XTG shave as I could. DFS+ in complete comfort, my skin looks and feels fantastic.

34c vs ftp.png

Yaqi Moka 24mm
Palmolive shave stick (grated)

Merkur 34C & GSB (12)

2 passes, WTG, XTG and a clean-up along the jawline.

I enjoy all my shaves but that one was something else. As I was wiping the sink I felt a little heat under my jawline. Surprised, I had a check in the mirror. No redness; I had a feel with the backs of my fingers. Ahh. I had one foot firmly in the waters of BBS. My skin felt fine as I left the bathroom.

Merkur 34C
GSB (13)
Yaqi Moka 24mm
Palmolive Men cream

34c vs ftp.png

And the winner is....

DSCF3814.JPG

Yes, it's a brush! The Yaqi Moka 24mm Synthetic.

Today I finished the second cycle through all my soaps without using Proraso Green preshave. There have been no issues whatsoever. That's the last piece of the jigsaw in getting my shaves to where I want them to be; pure enjoyment, zero frustration. If you'd have told me at the start of this journey that a brush would be the deciding factor in my search for smooth I wouldn't have believed you. But a brush it was.

The only thing lacking in my shaves now is true BBS. Well, that will happen when it happens, if it happens. That aside, I can truly say that I'm satisfied with the shaves I'm getting, so now seems like as good a time as any to put this journal to bed and move on to pastures new.

So, without further to do, this is your old pal, Bob Hope, signing off.

Top Bottom