What's new

My Search For Smooth

To put the above post in context, here's the final movement of Paul Lewis' 'Hammerklavier' for anyone interested in hearing it.

Beethoven is hard to listen to in the office. You have to be constantly adjusting the volume one way or the other. Thanks for another treat.

That was beautiful and it confirmed that hated all musicians and not just singers.

I like the story about the Grosse Fuge. When the string quartet tasked with giving the first performance complained that it was impossible to play Beethoven responded by saying 'What do I care about you and your f*****g fiddles.'

Merkur 34C
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green preshave
Rasozero Spiffero

Astra SP (23)

Something went wrong. It was a good shave if there was no blood and no irritation. I can say that there was no blood.

Merkur 34C
Omega 10066
Proraso Green preshave
Lea shave stick (grated)

Astra SP (25)

2 passes, both WTG, cold water

First pass the lather was a bit dry but shaved ok. I added more water and reloaded for the second. Back to basics, I shaved only where there was lather and avoided stroke repetition. I went quickly too and the result is uneven. Close to BBS, even genuine BBS in places, barely DFS in others but my skin feels good. The 34C is a difficult razor to get a close shave with, shaving like this. No blood and no irritation.

Merkur 34C
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green preshave
Tabac

Astra SP (26)

2 passes and a clean-up.

That was the shave I'd been waiting for. It was Goldilocks from the off. Just the right amount of preshave, the right amount of water in the brush to load with. Even using my most difficult brush, lathering was a breeze. Ok, the lather first pass was on the thick side (enough to clog the razor) and yes, there was a fair bit of overshaving but it didn't matter a jot, with great protection being provided by the soap. And when it came time to add a little water for the second pass, I got it just right (I've become a dribbler rather than a dipper).

I noticed something when doing the clean-up. Having a very thin lather seems more important than the direction of the stroke. Even WTG the last bits of stubble gave up the ghost. I could both hear and feel it happening. Tabac. What a soap.

By far my closest shave in total comfort throughout and I do mean total. Immediately post shave my skin felt fantastic, cool and comfortable.

A suitably Russian tribute to a glorious Russian blade performance:

splendid horse.png

Merkur 34C
Astra SP (28)
Omega 10066
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Red

2 passes and a brief clean-up. My tub of Proraso Red has never lathered quite like a normal Proraso since I left the lid off for a week and accidentally turned it into a hard soap, meaning I normally have to re-load between passes. And so it was tonight. In all other respects this was another repeat. I'm on a roll!

Merkur 34C
Astra SP (29)
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green preshave
Cella
Cocoa butter body lotion

2 passes and a clean-up

The Semogue just out performed my Omega 10066. That's a first. Great all round shave too. The clean-up pass, with mostly ghost lather and lots of buffing in different directions took me to a near BBS finish in complete comfort.

It's taken me thirty consecutive shaves to learn this razor. Now I know how much pressure to use, all the angles, how to get them and what they'll do. The Astra SP keeps marching on.

Adios!

Last nights shave:

Merkur 34C
Astra SP (30)
Omega 10051
Proraso Green preshave
Rasozero Spiffero
Cocoa butter body lotion

2 passes and a clean-up

Another superb shave with a further small improvement in the lather. Insane slickness. After thirty shaves the Astra SP has reached the buttery edge stage. Incredibly forgiving with an almost soft feeling to it, yet no tugging whatsoever. Very close, very comfortable. The shaving Gods are being good to me right now!

Merkur 34C
Astra SP (31)
Omega 10066
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green
Cocoa butter body lotion

2 passes and a clean-up

And the great shaves continue. An old neck injury has been playing up these last few days so I left out the skin stretching and bless me Billy if the shave wasn't even closer. More comfortable too. I extended the clean-up to my neck as well, all with ghost lather (who says Proraso doesn't have good slickness) for a very close shave. A weeper on my adams apple tried to spoil the party but to no avail. Post shave my skin's tingling fresh. I love me some Proraso Green!

Top Bottom