What's new

My Search For Smooth

DSCF3628.JPG

RR Lupo
Semogue 1438
Gillette Nacet (4)
Proraso Green preshave
Rasozero Spiffero

Hmmm. I remember liking Nacets more than this. Not bad but a bit scratchy feeling. Touching on tuggy in places too. I was using my worst brush and soap but the lather was good and there was enough of it in the brush for the whole shave. It was still a very good shave in all repects, just missing that great shave magic. The post shave is cool and comfortable. It could be closer.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm slowly zeroing in on the blades that work best for me. I'd like to get down to a top three.
I have pretty much been using Gillette Platinum, GSB, Nacet blades my first year wet shaving, and using a fresh Feather as my go-to blade with a new to me razor.
As I enter my second year of wet shaving I have noticed my preference in blades is changing, so I am trying out some new blades and have five different blades in my current rotation. All while trying to pick out my favorite razor to test blades with. LOL

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Indeed. I don't think it will ever end.
20210126_102638[1].jpg

I like all of these blades, but some are more sensitive to razor changes than others. The Yellow's shine in a rigid razor, but feel dull in other razors. The Green's are showing promise. I still have a tuck of Black's, Rubie's, Perma Sharps, and Bolzano's to try out. Then I need to find some Wizamet's because Polsilver's are being phased out....

And I am just getting started with my OC razors.

I like all of these blades, but some are more sensitive to razor changes than others. The Yellow's shine in a rigid razor, but feel dull in other razors. The Green's are showing promise. I still have a tuck of Black's, Rubie's, Perma Sharps, and Bolzano's to try out. Then I need to find some Wizamet's because Polsilver's are being phased out....

And I am just getting started with my OC razors

This is the challenge. To find blades that work well in all razors. Next, how does each set up perform with different soaps? At least it won't get boring, lol!

DSCF3646.JPG

RR Lupo
Omega 10051
Voskhod (2)
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green

I love it when my expectations are exceeded! I didn't have high hopes for the Voskhod but that was a great shave.

2 passes, N-S apart from my neck, where I shaved from shoulder to opposite ear both times. Now almost my entire shave is XTG to some degree. My lather was a little on the stiff side but that didn't stop this from being a smooth, tug free shave. Second pass, with skin stretching, I aimed for maximum closeness. It never got uncomfortable once and post shave my skin feels wicked cool.

That's the barber size preshave, three times the amount for an extra three quid. Can't argue with that!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I don’t think Wes has the GEM Micromatic Bullet Wing/Open Comb combo.

Or did you mean his best set-up?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
An OC Bullet Tip would be a wonderful thing

Not what I meant. Maybe better, but not what I meant. I’d need many more shaves with the MMCP and shaves at all with the Gull Wing before thinking I knew of the MMCP is the lurv-chitlin of the MMOC and MMBT.

DSCF3654.JPG

RR Lupo
Omega 10066
Voskhod (3)
Proraso Green preshave
Mitchell's Wool Fat

2 passes, N-S, shoulder to opposite ear on neck

I've read lots about how difficult MWF can be to lather. A damp brush on the dry puck, I made sure to load a bit extra but I have to say I found it no harder to use than any other soap I've tried. Easier than some. The scent is mild but pleasant. Once lathered I'd go as far as to call it an unscented soap. But this is a nose that finds Tabac to be a delicate, floral delight.

Last shave with the Voskhod I was a touch tentative, it being a new blade and all, but maybe I've been holding back a bit lately anyway. Tonight I used a little pressure, firm enough to maintain a consistent angle throughout. In an effort to get my neck closer (I've still not mastered that area) I used considerable pressure. Same for the clean-up along my jawline. The MWF provided superb protection. I never felt like I was about to hurt myself. After rinsing and drying I noticed a few hairs in the right hand corner of my mouth. I dabbed a bit of lather on, swiped with the Lupo and paused to admire the thin stream of white liquid soap as it made its way to the edge, then dripped off my chin. It looked just like milk.

The Omega 10066 is now broken in. No bristles came out, it held enough lather for the whole shave and felt nice on my face.

Fantastic post shave feel, nice close shave, damn fine soap. A rival to Tabac? I should cocoa.

That's all for now. Ta-ta.

DSCF3674.JPG

RR Lupo
Semogue 1438
Voskhod (4)
Proraso Green preshave
Tabac

No one told me Tabac makes pink lather.

I didn't add quite enough water as I was loading so I had to introduce almost all of it as I face lathered. Not my preferred approach, it takes too long and can be a bit much on the old boat race. Still, this is Tabac. Right ear, no problem and I happily started shaving away.

The MWF provided superb protection. I never felt like I was about to hurt myself.

And this is Tabac, maybe even better thought I. At the left side of my face, from upper lip to the edge of my chin and beyond I went, without a care in the world...

In the slightly too dry lather the Lupo bit. Hard. The worst shaving cut I've had. The blood appeared instantly, dark and dripping. I finished the pass a humbled person. It stung when I rinsed and ran red when I looked in the mirror again. Relathering for pass two, the soap turned coral pink around my chin, then when I'd done, the dark red bubble over the cut had tracked in an exactly horizontal direction towards the centre of my chin. I completed the shave carefully but caught the cut again despite my best efforts. More stinging. When I went to do the clean-up pass, the bristles of the brush had blood in them.

Toilet paper and a glob of vaseline and it's all been taken care of. Post shave my skin feels good (in general) but a little tight.

Top Bottom