What's new

My Search For Smooth

Nice boar, I just used mine Tuesday!

Excellent!

The 10066 has, as expected a bit less backbone and is easier to splay. Not the densest brush and this gives it excellent flow through.

Sounds like just what I'm after. Mine already feels quite soft and has a fair few split ends already with just an initial soak and wash with dish soap.

I really like the smaller Omegas, but they can be excessively stiff.

Yep. The 10051 I use is as stiff as a board. As I've mentioned once or twice, I've learnt to love it.

DSCF3479.JPG

RR Lupo
Omega 10066
Dorco Titan (4)
Proraso Green preshave
Rasozero Spiffero

The first shave with the 10066 was as expected from a new brush in many ways. Lost a few bristles, a little longer to load, a mild porcine aroma and I had to reload for the second pass. But it didn't feel like a new brush. No prickle and not overly rigid. In fact it felt remarkably soft. A good brush.

The Dorco is smoother than the Derby but I had a bit of an issue at my lower lip. Could've been the blade but it was most likely me. However, I did notice a little irritaion first pass. The second was fine and not much irritation post shave but I did have more redness around my chin. Probably a remnant of the idiots shave 2 days ago. It might take me a couple of shaves to 'reset', as Al puts it, before sanity is fully restored.

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
RR Lupo
Omega 10066
Personna IR (4)
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green

2 passes, N-S (S-N on the neck)

Some days I just feel like I really need a shave. Today was such a day.

The Omega 10066 is well on the way to being broken in. Only the one bristle lost, it held enough lather for the entire shave and I was able to full splay it for the second pass in complete comfort. Pretty good. It should get even better.

The Dorco Titan left me underwhelmed and undershaved last time. The Personna Israeli Red is on the same level as Lab Blues and 7 O'Clock Yellows. No tugging at my lower lip and as comfortable for the clean-up along the jawline as it was for the first stroke at my right ear.

Proraso continues to be the best soap I've used. I hope Tabac can match it.

One small red spot on my chin but no irritation and a nice, close shave. A terrfific, cooling post shave to leave me feeling great!

DSCF3487.JPG

Side note: The no deoderant experiment is under way. So far, so good.

RR Lupo
Omega 10066
Personna IR (4)
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green

2 passes, N-S (S-N on the neck)

Some days I just feel like I really need a shave. Today was such a day.

The Omega 10066 is well on the way to being broken in. Only the one bristle lost, it held enough lather for the entire shave and I was able to full splay it for the second pass in complete comfort. Pretty good. It should get even better.

The Dorco Titan left me underwhelmed and undershaved last time. The Personna Israeli Red is on the same level as Lab Blues and 7 O'Clock Yellows. No tugging at my lower lip and as comfortable for the clean-up along the jawline as it was for the first stroke at my right ear.

Proraso continues to be the best soap I've used. I hope Tabac can match it.

One small red spot on my chin but no irritation and a nice, close shave. A terrfific, cooling post shave to leave me feeling great!

View attachment 1207293

Wes you may need a redo post vaccination and social distancing. Getting close and hugging again could make a difference. 😷

Just had another one of those 'accidental' shaves. It was a bowl lather with the Semogue boar, no preshave and no prep.

I feel violated.

DSCF3528.JPG

RR Lupo
Omega 10066
Personna IR (6)
Proraso Green preshave
La Toja shave stick, grated

A very nice shave to make up for yesterdays aberration. I really put the brush through its paces tonight, splaying fully as I face lathered. Two very nice N-S passes, with a little too much pressure first pass, a little too much overshaving second but no harm done.

That's the last of the La Toja sample and very good it was too, despite the slight stinging throughout the shave from the salt. It doesn't carry over to the post shave though, which is very good. My skin looks great if I do say so myself. An easy DFS, practically BBS in many places and I feel great!

Can you tell me what those smoothest blades are? Please dont make me read all 988 posts :taz:

What kind of monster do you think I am?, lol

Of course I jest.

The smoothest blades I've found so far, out of about thirty are:

Personna Lab Blue and Israeli Red; Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, 7 O'Clock Green, Silver Blue and Nacet; Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian); Rapira Swedish Supersteel; Perma-Sharp Super; Astra SP

A few of those are under review and likely to be purged at some point. I expect three or four to stand out in the end as being smooth, sharp and long lasting.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Personna Lab Blue and Israeli Red; Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, 7 O'Clock Green, Silver Blue and Nacet; Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian); Rapira Swedish Supersteel; Perma-Sharp Super; Astra SP

I think you left out Derby Extra. :)

Personna Lab Blue and Israeli Red; Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, 7 O'Clock Green, Silver Blue and Nacet; Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian); Rapira Swedish Supersteel; Perma-Sharp Super; Astra SP; and maybe the smoothest of all, Derby Extra.

DSCF3548 - Copy.JPG

RR Lupo
Omega 10051
Personna IR (7)
Proraso Green preshave
Tabac

2 passes, N-S/S-N

I've been shaving with cold water for long enough now to be well aware of both its benefits and its shortcomings. Today I used warm water. Not hot, just nice and warm. Warmer than body temperature. Putting the issue of sensitive skin to one side, the main theoretical argument in favour of cold water shaving is that a hard whisker is easier to cut than a soft whisker. This suggests that prep of any kind would be detrimental to the method. I always use a preshave and a short prep, but a prep nonetheless. You can see where I'm going with this.

So the question is; is a soft, well hydrated whisker easier to cut than a hard whisker? The answer is yes. My shaves with cold water all had one thing in common. Cutting resistance, especially at my lower lip. Not so tonight. This was an exceptional shave.

Incredibly smooth from beginning to end, when I reached the far left corner of my my jaw as I was doing the clean-up I remembered to dip my chin rather than tilt my head back. I relathered my neck for a third pass and did the same, chin horizontal or dipped slightly. It was much easier everywhere, even around my adams apple which was made less prominent. A swallow and it almost disappeared. The results speak for themselves. For the first time my neck is as closely shaved as everything above it.

This was the best, the closest, the most satisfying shave I've ever had.

And then there's Tabac.

Last edited:
Seriously? You can actually shave with one of those things? :ouch1:

Yep. It was the first type of razor I ever used, way back when I was lad. Used one to shave my head once, too. No probs as far as I can recall. I might have a go with one again and see how many shaves I can get out of it.

Top Bottom