What's new

My Search For Smooth

When you think they're done in the Tech, they'll be just getting started for your Fatip.

I've got my sights set on a lofty 3 figures when I eventually find my top DE blades. It may be some way off but I can almost see it already.

Shave 43

DSCF2063.JPG

Made in England Tech
Dorco Titan
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green pre-shave
Wickhams Irish Fern

Cold Water, 2 passes, face lather

I made a small error loading tonight, just a tad too much water to begin with. It didn't cause a big problem but I've discovered that it's easier to start off on the dry side and add water rather than the other way around. It requires less work and I find it much easier to dial in.

The Dorco Titan. It sounds like the kind of thing you get from one of these.

condm.jpg

Turns out it's a very good razor blade.

First pass, WTG, right ear and the first stroke was smooth and comfortable and it carried on like that as I worked my way inwards, the lower lip slightly harder work but smooth enough, no tugging. I'd already shaved the left side of my jaw from the corner of my mouth to the top of my neck before I paused to swish the razor for the first time. I took care of the left side of my face, moustache and neck (without needing to relather) and rinsed. No irritation.

Pass 2, XTG. The lather was slightly thinner than I'd like. I've started to prefer slightly more cushion second pass, but it was slick enough and I shaved from my right ear to the middle of my chin in 3 strokes, adjusting the angle of the razor on the move, from ear to left armpit, to upper shoulder to directly E-W. I shaved my right jawline, moustache right side and immediately switched to the left side of my face for a repeat, almost nicking myself on the chin as I got a bit carried way. I finished everywhere above the neck carefully, relathered below, shaved my neck, a bit of buffing where north meets south, smeared a blob of lather on and shaved my lower lip which I'd forgotten, touched up the right corner of my mouth and rinsed off.

Another irritation free shave. After a cold water splash I checked in the mirror. No redness and no blood. As I was cleaning up I felt some tightness at the corners of my mouth and when I peered in the mirror my skin was a touch dry. I also felt a little bit of warmth on my face as I was cleaning up but it lasted no longer than a minute. After leaving the bathroom my skin felt great, cool, comfortable and supple, the dryness gone too. DFS, apart from the right corner of my mouth (despite the touch up) and my lower jaw, left side, towards my chin. No big deal.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After one dip it was overflowing onto the handle of the brush and I thought about adding even more water but I'm no stranger to a broken lather and a swipe on my left my check said it was slick enough so I stopped.

I havent broken a lather with Wickham but I havent tried to either. I have broken a lather with CRS, but only after I dropped my brush in the sink full of water haha.

Wickham likes water. The more I give it the slicker it gets.

I have broken a lather with CRS, but only after I dropped my brush in the sink full of water haha.

I've done that too, with my Omega boar. The handle is barrel shaped and plastic. Round and slippery. It used to make my hand ache sometimes from trying to keep hold of it. There's a RazoRock synth with a similar handle design and they say a lot of thought has gone into it. Maybe so, but it doesn't make any sense to me, so I'll always look to avoid that shape in future.

My Semogue is easy to grip, even when wet or soapy.

DSCF0976.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thats a main reason I like my little Maggard so much. The handle is perfect for me.

IMG_3128.JPG

I've spent a bit of time going through the dizzying array of soaps stocked by Maggards the last few days. The descriptions and packaging are very seductive. I'm not that keen on cologne type scents but after 5 minutes of reading I'm convinced that I am and after all sandalwood is pretty much a cologne scent and I like that and I wasn't too keen on the scent of Wickhams Irish Fern at first sniff which is a fougere but now I really like its soft, musky underbelly and now that I know that if I use Proraso pre-shave cream I can basically use any soap scent I like I can try anything I feel like and sure I have my limits when it comes to price, just out of common decency I mean who doesn't but what if it sounds really, really nice.......ok, enough. New subject.

I just watched this while I gave my Semogue an early vinegar and dish soap spring clean.

It may be true that Boxing isn't what it used to be but I've always found Tyson Fury to be an exciting fighter. This was an exciting fight. I don't like the influence that MMA has had on my favourite sport but I can't change that, unfortunately. I'll take the good where I can.

There. Now I've returned to my normal, objective self.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A inner battle rationalizing over soap scents that leads into boxing. Hmmm, interesting. :001_tongu

Did you happen by chance to add anything to your cart at Maggard and check the shipping rate choices?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not yet, but I'm starting to narrow down the choices....it might take a bit of time.

I was just curious to see that they do offer an inexpensive shipping option to the UK. They do to me here in Canada so I assume they do to the UK as well, but I'm not 100% sure. You might want to check that before you fill your cart lol. :tongue_sm

I was just curious to see that they do offer an inexpensive shipping option to the UK. They do to me here in Canada so I assume they do to the UK as well, but I'm not 100% sure. You might want to check that before you fill your cart lol. :tongue_sm

Gotcha...I'll check, thanks. I think last time I looked it was something like 6 to 8 us dollars but I guess that might vary depending on the weight and dimensions of the parcel.

Shave 44

DSCF2074.JPG

Made in England Tech
Treet Platinum
Semogue 1438
Proraso green pre-shave
Wickhams Irish Fern

Cold water, 2 passes, face lather

Shaving can be a cruel mistress. For some reason I decided to soak my brush in a large mug rather than my shallow bowl, right up to the handle. It made no positive impact on loading or lathering, instead causing excess water to gather at the base of the knot, dripping soapy water down the handle. It didn't stop me from getting a decent lather.

First pass, WTG and the first stroke at the right ear was very nice, as were the ones along the jawline and towards the centre. I was starting to wonder when I'll next find a blade I really don't like when it tugged, hard enough to pull my lip down a quater inch, but it didn't hurt. I shaved the rest of my lower lip - tuggy - and gingerly around the front edge of my chin. Not terrible perhaps, but not smooth. The left side of my face and moustache were a bit better but as I was shaving the left side of my neck my chin was stinging a bit. I looked in the mirror as I moved the razor to the right side of my neck and saw blood under my bottom lip, left side and also near the left corner of my mouth. I finished my neck and rinsed off.

Pass 2, XTG. I picked up my brush to find the bristles splayed and sparsely covered with soap. It lathered very poorly, thin but dryish on the face, a watery, soapy mixture dribbling out of the handle onto my fingers. I squeezed what I could from the brush with my hand and wiped it onto my face, then gathered the remaining suds from the tub and added that. That was as good as it was going to get and by this time I'd already decided to treat tonight as a learning experience. I shaved quickly, never happy with the feel of the blade along my jawline, especially over the front edge of my chin. The soap was slick enough to start but had dried out a bit on my neck. I added what extra lather I could and finished the shave.

After a rinse off and a pat dry the weepers had disappeared but I felt a small amount of irritation around my chin. Other than that it wasn't too bad, a bit of dryness near my left cheekbone and there's some stubble left there. At the front edge of my chin, adams apple, and areas of my jawline too. My skin feels ok but not great, no burn and any minor irritation was short lived. Blade aside, most of my problems tonight were technical, brush and lather related, entirely unnecessary and entirely my fault. Lesson learned.

mmccl.jpg

On another note, I checked the shipping at Maggards last night. Glad I did. 1 tub of soap, $6; 2 tubs, $10; 3 tubs, $14. As the weight goes up it starts to get a bit pricey. Luckily, I'm not the bulk buying type, unlikely to buy more than 2 tubs of soap in one go and most probably just the one. I'm happier not to get penalised for a small order than to be rewarded for a big one. 4 soap samples are only $3 shipping.

Thanks for the heads up.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 1065821

On another note, I checked the shipping at Maggards last night. Glad I did. 1 tub of soap, $6; 2 tubs, $10; 3 tubs, $14. As the weight goes up it starts to get a bit pricey. Luckily, I'm not the bulk buying type, unlikely to buy more than 2 tubs of soap in one go and most probably just the one. I'm happier not to get penalised for a small order than to be rewarded for a big one. 4 soap samples are only $3 shipping.

Thanks for the heads up.

I assume that was with you choosing the low cost shipping option from the drop down menu?

Screenshot_2020-02-22 Shopping Cart Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products.png

Click Calculate Shipping and enter your information then click Update. Thats how I get the Economy Shipping option.

I assume that was with you choosing the low cost shipping option from the drop down menu?

View attachment 1065842

Click Calculate Shipping and enter your information then click Update. Thats how I get the Economy Shipping option.

Yeah, the low cost option.

1582392336583.png

I suppose there's a slight hike to get across the Atlantic. It's still very reasonable, compared to most. This works out to be around £8 Stirling, but I wouldn't be happy paying too much more, not when I can get very good products from Connaught and others here in the UK.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah, the low cost option.

View attachment 1065852

I suppose there's a slight hike to get across the Atlantic. It's still very reasonable, compared to most. This works out to be around £8 Stirling, but I wouldn't be happy paying too much more, not when I can get very good products from Connaught and others here in the UK.

Yeah, air mail I suppose. Something I dont need to factor in coming from Maggard. Connaught has a very low shipping rate for me here in Canada and I dont need to pay VAT or taxes either. Everything I've ordered from them has come Royal Mail. A dividend of being part of the Commonwealth I suppose.

Shave 45

DSCF2106.JPG

Made in England Tech
Israeli Personna Red
Semogue 1438
Proraso green pre-shave
Wickhams Irish Fern

Cold water, 2 passes, face lather

I moved the remaining sample of Irish Fern back into my wooden bowl yesterday. It resembled the soft looking remains that appear on a bar of soap left by the sink. After it had dried out it looked like there'd be enough for at least one more shave, maybe even two.

There wasn't.

First pass, WTG and the lather created was sub-standard. There just wasn't enough soap. It was too watery, too thin and the type of lather that dissipates quickly. The blade coped admirably, never tugging, but it wasn't particularly smooth feeling, the lather almost certainly to blame. Even so, I was able to shave everywhere above the jawline in relative comfort, followed by the neck with it's rapidly drying lather. I noticed no irritation as I rinsed off. Onto pass 2.

I tried to paint the watery, sudsy soap clinging to the bristles of the brush onto my face. It wasn't a lather, the brush like a wet rag against my skin. I gathered the bare remains from the bowl. It helped but little. It was looking unshaveable and I was considering getting another tub of soap out of the cupboard or leaving it at one pass. In the end I did neither. With a wet left hand I smeared the slightly soapy water around my face. It felt moderately slippery. I made a tentative stroke at my right ear, WTG, it didn't feel too bad so I carried on. Every time the razor started to drag, I wiped my wet hand over my face and carefully followed it with the razor, using absolutely no pressure. I was now basically shaving with water, very tentatively, barely touching my skin with the razor. The curves of my jawline were very difficult. I could only move the razor in short, flat strokes. My neck was near impossible, I couldn't stretch my skin comfortably and the front edge of my jaw was also tough to negotiate. After tackling what I could, I rinsed off.

My skin felt remarkably good, considering. No irritation, no visible redness, no blood. It's hardly a DFS, infact, I wouldn't know how to rate it. I have a bit of stubble in the hollows of my neck and around my adams apple, a bit under and along my jawline, left and right. The rest is really not that bad. My cheeks are better than after my shave with the Treet. In the final analysis, this wasn't really a fair test of the Israeli Personna but it has potential, just like the Lab Blue. Actually, it shaved rather similar.

As I cleaned up I noticed a small amount of stubborn soap residue clogging the razor. It's happened on a few occasions since I've started using the Proraso pre-shave regularly. It's something I'll be keeping an eye on.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There comes a time when you need to start another soap. That was the time lol.

Top Bottom