What's new

My Schick Dial Adjustable Experience

In general, I don't count myself as a fan of SE razors. I couldn't get the hang of the Gem micromatic or the 1912, but I decided that I'd take a swing at the Schick Dial Adjustable ("M", was it?) last week. Used it for the whole week, using the same current-production Schick production injector blade (5 shaves).

I was very pleasantly surprised. It shaves very nicely, and very close. I seem to like a setting of "7". I like the feel of the handle, the heft of the head, and it's easy to maneuver. One blade a week isn't bad. The last shave was a bit more tuggy than I liked, but it ended cleanly. Seems like 3-4 shaves is probably optimal for this ammo. I think I paid $30 for the handle, but it's money well-spent as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure that I'm noticing something that others have known for years, but I offer it only as an example of how trying new things out can yield very interesting and surprising results, and that injectors can match up pretty darn well with a DE (just as well, imho).

Just for contrast, this week I figured that I'd take out that Atra handle and give it a spin with a personna cartridge, and it wasn't that great. I'll tough it out for the rest of the week, as I think I'm not applying enough pressure, but as it stands right now, the Atra's going to lose out to the Schick Dial Adjustable.

Hope it helps, or offers something to think about.
-- Chet

While I prefer my little E3 Injector, I like taking my Adjustable out for a spin every now and again. With NOS Super Chromiums and Chinese blades, I find anything above 5 a bit too aggressive for my tastes. I'm looking forward to using it with a twin blade. A great shaver for days when I only have time for a quick, one-pass shave - results range from a very pleasant SAS to CCS. When I have more time, two passes with this fine razor give me near-BBS shaves.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Schick Adjustables are some of my favorites - very close as Chester notes & as Patrik finds a good tool when in a hurry. I also find it to be the best (along with all injectors) around the Adam's apple, that blade is just a hair narrower than a DE or SE which seems to make a difference at least on my neck ..

Just for contrast, this week I figured that I'd take out that Atra handle and give it a spin with a personna cartridge, and it wasn't that great. I'll tough it out for the rest of the week, as I think I'm not applying enough pressure, but as it stands right now, the Atra's going to lose out to the Schick Dial Adjustable.

I have some of the Personna Auto Plus carts (the ones that are only for the Atra; not dual fit that also work with the Trac II), and I think they are wretchedly bad. They tug, and pull badly even on the first shave out.

I have gotten much better results with my Atra with the Dollar General (dorco) dual fit carts. $1.25 for 6 blades; they are quite the value.

My limited testing has also shown the the new Wilkinson Sword dual fit carts they sell at Wal-Mart are also vastly superior to the Personna Auto Plus carts.

The Personna carts are so bad, I have had thoughts of simply tossing the remaining 13 carts into the trash. :mad3::mad3:

Top Bottom