What's new

My Revisor 6-0035

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I finished my week shaving with the Revisor yesterday. (Today was my first shave with my 1870 George Buttler "Shakespeare" SR.)

My enjoyment shaving with the Revisor is much improved over this past week. I think that what I had to do was learn how to use it to get the best results from its geometry. That has been achieved and the Revisor 6-0035 is my most favoured SR - for now.

I would now highly recommend the Revised 6-0035.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s possible that you are favoring a more hollow grind than your Titans once you get used to it? I don’t know how thinly ground your Revisor is, but the Titans should be half hollow at best.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It’s possible that you are favoring a more hollow grind than your Titans once you get used to it? I don’t know how thinly ground your Revisor is, but the Titans should be half hollow at best.
The Titans and the Revisor have VERY similar grinds with the Revisor being possibly just a little bit more ground. Both Titan and Revisor claim that their blades are full hollow. I consider then a half-hollow+.

I think that the main difference might be in the bevel angle. I don't have the gear (yet) to measure the Revisor's bevel angle.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Could be. All you need are decent calipers and a decent machinist’s 6” scale. That’s good enough.

Don’t be mislead by the specs/eyeball, Filarmonicas are mostly half hollow by the optics, but they are extremely thin at the edge, especially the earlier ones. What the thinness of the razor steel is like at the hair‘s width front of the bevel is far more important than what the top half of the razor is made like.

I have a Hisha-kaku 500 Japanese that’s likely 1/4 hollow, but it is ground so thinly at the edge that it’s difficult to hone because the bevels are so thin that you almost can’t see them even with moderate magnification. That’s some master razor grinding.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yesterday I got the gear to measure the bevel angle on this 6-0035. It measured out at 17.1°. the bevel angle that I have been use too has been between about 18° and 19°. This explains a lot of the reasons why I initially had difficulties liking this SR.

BTW, the 6-0035 is now my preferred SR (but I don't let my other SR's know that).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yesterday I got the gear to measure the bevel angle on this 6-0035. It measured out at 17.1°. the bevel angle that I have been use too has been between about 18° and 19°. This explains a lot of the reasons why I initially had difficulties liking this SR.

BTW, the 6-0035 is now my preferred SR (but I don't let my other SR's know that).
Now you got it! The sweet spot for most shavers and most razors is around 16.5° give or take a degree, but the finer bevel angle calls for more control and a lighter touch, and a very low shave angle.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Now you got it! The sweet spot for most shavers and most razors is around 16.5° give or take a degree, but the finer bevel angle calls for more control and a lighter touch, and a very low shave angle.
You are not wrong there. With the more acute bevel angle, I find this SR to be less forgiving in technique errors. Helps to keep my concentration up.

For a beginner in the gentlemanly art, I would suggest a well honed SR with a slightly more obtuse bevel angle.

You are not wrong there. With the more acute bevel angle, I find this SR to be less forgiving in technique errors. Helps to keep my concentration up.

For a beginner in the gentlemanly art, I would suggest a well honed SR with a slightly more obtuse bevel angle.

Hey, I wanted to ask,
when you ordered from revisor did you send your full ID or is that just for EU?
I've tried emailing them and their own message and haven't received a reply in a month.

Want to order from them but that irks me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hey, I wanted to ask,
when you ordered from revisor did you send your full ID or is that just for EU?
I've tried emailing them and their own message and haven't received a reply in a month.

Want to order from them but that irks me.
I didn't order directly from Revisor. I bought mine through eBay. Early this year I tried to contact Revisor about buy another of their SRs. Like you, I received no reply. That saved me quite a few dollars that I was able to spend on a Ralf Aust.

I didn't order directly from Revisor. I bought mine through eBay. Early this year I tried to contact Revisor about buy another of their SRs. Like you, I received no reply. That saved me quite a few dollars that I was able to spend on a Ralf Aust.
Appreciate the reply!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Their razors are generally good and a good value for the price. Their customer service can sometimes be a little rough around the edges, though. I have bought from them and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. On the positive side, they don't spam you twice a week like so many other vendors who think they should decide when and what I should buy, instead of the customer. I find unsolicitated emails from vendors to be irritating, and irritating me is not going to help them to get more of my business.

Top Bottom