What's new

My review of Van Der Lovett shaving soap

I recently found this Van der Lovett shaving soap at Marshalls in Canada.
Let's get a look at that puck. It is definitely not an extremely hard soap. I would say somewhere around the hardness of Haslinger Schafmilch.
000.jpg 001.jpg

This shave was performed with a 1951 Gillette tech (except the handle) with a new Gillette 7 O'clock green blade, a Vie long horse hair brush, and a custom Germiyon painted bowl.
I first let a thin layer of water sit on the puck while I showered.
003.jpg

I loaded it up for about 30 seconds
004.jpg

This is after lathering for about 20 seconds.
005.jpg

I added about 3 drops of water and lathered for about 30 more seconds and poof:
006.jpg

Here is my ugly mug, this one didn't turn out well but my description of the lather is that it is very cohesive, it really sticks together, similar to how proraso often does. It was not quite as thick as I was hoping, but still very acceptable and if I had loaded for maybe another 5 seconds, it would have been noticeably better, I think.
007.jpg

It was definitely not the slickest soap I have used, but definitely not poor. I would, and will use this again. I would use this over proraso, personally, and any geo F Trumper. In the end, I got only 2 small nicks that didn'teven need styptic, and overall I would say a DFS, that I finished off with skin bracer.

M

Member 113878

Fendrihan in Canada just got them.

FRAGRANCES
  • Dutch Blue: Top notes of bergamot, heart notes of dried fruit and honey and vanilla and tobacco base notes.
  • Grey Edition: Top notes of fresh lime with heart notes of jasmine and herbs and tonka bean and musk base notes.
  • Sailor’s Blend: Top notes of bergamot and green apple, heart notes of jasmine and bamboo, and base notes of cedar wood and amber.
  • Sweetwood: Top notes of subtle citrus, lilac and lavender heart notes, and base notes of sandalwood and moss.

Just got the Van Der Lovett Grey Edition the other day. It is a in3xpensive hard puck and the scent is similar to Stirling Sandpiper or Folsom & CO Black Powder A/S to my nose. Soap lathered very well and provided a remarkably smooth drama free shave. Was quite impressed with this soap and surprised by the lack of internet buzz.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Fendrihan in Canada just got them.

FRAGRANCES
  • Dutch Blue: Top notes of bergamot, heart notes of dried fruit and honey and vanilla and tobacco base notes.
  • Grey Edition: Top notes of fresh lime with heart notes of jasmine and herbs and tonka bean and musk base notes.
  • Sailor’s Blend: Top notes of bergamot and green apple, heart notes of jasmine and bamboo, and base notes of cedar wood and amber.
  • Sweetwood: Top notes of subtle citrus, lilac and lavender heart notes, and base notes of sandalwood and moss.
I have it on my radar to buy from Fendrihan once my sabbatical is up. My only complaint is Fendrihan lists the Country of Origin as Holland. :letterk2: Holland is a province not a country. :letterk2: Have you tried the soap? How does it compare to Fine Soaps which are also made in the Netherlands...that's if you've tried Fine?

I have it on my radar to buy from Fendrihan once my sabbatical is up. My only complaint is Fendrihan lists the Country of Origin as Holland. :letterk2: Holland is a province not a country. :letterk2: Have you tried the soap? How does it compare to Fine Soaps which are also made in the Netherlands...that's if you've tried Fine?

I have a few fine soaps left in the den and have used a most all of the line up at one point of another as well as Tabac. The lather texture was similar to Fine & Tabac in that it's structure was more cream like than large bubbles once fully lathered. Pretty sure they are entirely different soaps although I haven't compaired ingredients yet. It's a decent soap and well worth the price for how hard the puck is, despite it being smaller it's a good deal IMO.

Unless they have changed the composition since the time it was available in the "discount" stores, it's identical to Fine. Considering Fine's supplier went out of business, this may not be available once their supply disappears.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Unless they have changed the composition since the time it was available in the "discount" stores, it's identical to Fine. Considering Fine's supplier went out of business, this may not be available once their supply disappears.
It seems like the supplier for Fine was DeVergulde Hand which has gone out of business I've heard. I'm really hoping Van der Lovett was it's own entity. Seems like they may be connected though? I better get some soap and balm while I can.

Last edited:
It seems like the supplier for Fine was DeVergulde Hand which has gone out of business I've heard. I'm really hoping Van Der Lovett was it's own entity. Seems like they may be connected though? I better get some soap and balm while I can.

It is a Belgian brand. Made in The Netherlands. Or...was...

A Belgian brand made in the Netherlands kind of hurts my brain lol. I have wanted to try BAUM.BE as well. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Baume.be may be the best balm I've tried. Top three anyway. The cream is excellent too, although it was a bit tricky to dial in the sample I had. The days I did have it dialed in were great shaves.

M

Member 113878

No, sorry, I didn't buy it. (yet)
:)

Recently went back and picked up the SweetWood scent of VDL and it is a good soap. The puck is thinner than average yet costs a lot less than many other soaps of a hard texture like this one. The lather is similar to Tabac in that it has a creamy texture with no large bubbles. Will continue to use these soaps and hoping to hear more peoples thoughts on this lessar known soap.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It seems like the supplier for Fine was DeVergulde Hand which has gone out of business I've heard.

You heard wrong, seems to be alive in 2021 :a14:

In terms of ingredients, DVH is different from Fine/VDL.

Could be Siderius & Coers BV made Fine (and makes VDL).

Indeed great tallow soap. I switched from the old Tabac to VDL (grey edition including aftershave balm). Performance is almost the same as Tabac and it smells a lot nicer according to my daughter..

Top Bottom