What's new

My Review of the Wilkinson Sword Classic DE

I took delivery of a Wilkinson Sword Classic De razor from Italian Barber yesterday. Let me start this review by saying that I really like the razor. I'm a fan of mild razors, which is why I founded "The League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers," and this certainly is a mild razor. I have a heavy beard, and mild razors work well for me. I don't think one needs a skin grafter to get a close shave. My main DE razor is a Merkur Progress which I keep set to 1.5. My Progress zeros at about 5.5, so I set mine about 2 notches above zero. It's mild, but not as mild as the Wilkinson Sword. Turned all the way down to zero, the Progress is actually milder than the Wilkinson. So the Wilkinson isn't the mildest razor available, but it's pretty close.

O.K. Let's get to the nitty gritty.

Fit and Finish: The razor is well made. It's made from Delrin which is a very durable plastic. This razor should be far more durable than other plastic DE's on the market like the Merkur Bakelite. The parts all fit together well, the blade is held dead center and solidly, and the threads on the post on the head cap are very coarse so I don't think there is any reason to fear stripping them. The handle has a metal rod (aluminum I think) inside for added weight and balance. The cap actually threads into this metal rod when the razor is assembled.

Grip and Balance: The razor weighs in at 1.5oz and feels good in the hand. It's well balanced without feeling handle heavy or head light. To my hand, the razor is perfectly balanced, and the lighter weight makes it very nimble. It also has outstanding grip. Even with wet hands, there's no worry about the razor slipping out of your grip. Heavy razors are something of a problem for me. It's mostly due to the fact that I sometimes have sore hands in the morning from the work I do. A heavy razor can be uncomfortable to hold during a shave and can hinder my technique. Even super grippy heavily knurled stainless steel handles can make my hand begin to get uncomfortable by the second pass due to their weight. The weight of this razor is very comfortable for me.

Aggressiveness: As I've already said, this is a really mild razor. I would say it's about ball-end Tech mild, maybe a touch milder, but also more agreeable to my face. The Tech always felt mild but harsh to me. This razor feels very nice on my face. I've heard from another member here that this razor is comparable to the Feather ASD2 in aggression. It would be interesting to hear from others who have tried both about their impressions.

The Shave: I loaded the razor with an Astra SP. Finding the right angle was very intuitive, and unlike a razor like the Merkur Bakelite, the razor glides on the face very nicely. I always thought the Merkur Bakelite dragged a bit on the face. Not so with the Wilkinson Sword. It glides as well as any other razor I've tried. After my first pass, I rinsed my face and felt around. It was as smooth as it would be with any other razor. Impressive! I'm a two pass shaver, and after my second pass, I had just as close a shave as I would with my Progress– very smooth and comfortable with no irritation.

Conclusion: I really like this razor, and I wish that I'd ordered one sooner. It's well made, inexpensive (I paid $10.00 for mine), and very forgiving and easy to shave with. I wonder if lots of wet shavers look down on this razor because it's plastic or because it's inexpensive. I think this would be a great daily shaver for those who love mild razors, a great way for newbies to get into DE shaving, and also would make an excellent travel razor. It's made of a durable material, there's no plating to flake off, no cheap pot-metal to rot away, and the head probably won't snap off if the razor is dropped. If mild razors agree with you and you haven't tried this razor, I think you're missing out on a real gem. Pick one of these up. I think you'll like it.

$P1030114.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Foyle,

I agree with your assessment. I have one and like it so much, I bought two more, and stowed them away for emergencies or whatever. It gives a really nice, mild shave with no irritation, and the head glides easily. I find the head a bit wider than most razors (extra plastic on the sides). This helps protect from accidentally scratching on the side of the blade, but it also makes the head bulkier, and a bit trickier to follow the lines of my beard as precisely as with a smaller headed razor. But altogether, based on shave quality, I'd give it four stars out of five for a razor at any price point. Given the $10, price point, it gets five out of five stars, and is the best "under $20" razor I've used. I also have the Feather AS-D1, and they have very similar mildness.

Nice review! I agree with all those who believe others look down on the Wilkinson because it's plastic. But as for the metal in the handle, I don't believe it's aluminum, 'cause it's fairly magnetic:
$100_1220.jpg

Look Ma, no razor stand!:biggrin1:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I managed to pick up a Wilkie in this year's Sue Moore auction and have two shaves on it so far with a Shark SS blade. It has a nice and comfortable weight and balance due to the handle and, while the head is larger than I am used to, I had no issues maneuvering under the nose at all. It is a mild razor, but one shouldn't equate mild with bad.

Good grip, good weight, good balance, good price, good shave .... What's not to like? :thumbup1:

Tried the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor today, got a much better shave than anticipated, very mild & forgiving yet efficient. Works well when paired with a more aggressive blade. For under $10 this is a good fun buy, will see a spot in the rotation.

$wil.jpg

I like my Classic... great razor for the money. In Europe you can pick it up for around $4 with a 5 pack of blades included... whats not to like about that:thumbup1:

I started DE shaving with one of these. I gave it away to another beginner when I upgraded to a Muhle R89. Kinda wish I kept it now. I still use the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades they come with everyday.

This was my first DE razor. Its price (close to nothing in Europe) convinced me to give it a whirl. Personally, I needed some sharp blades to see a result. The Wilkinson blades that came with it were ok but Astra blades worked better. Also tried Shark which are smoother - that did not go down very well.
The razor lasted 3 months. Since it is a two-piece TTO it relies on a plastic screw -which broke. Don't get me wrong, I loved it because it introduced me to the joy of DE shaving. In that regard, it's great for testing purposes. In fact, I will buy it again and stick it in my travel bag. It's a lightweight, cheap razor that does the trick.

Reviving this post. It' my only rrazor and I am at the first steps. I think it is helping me into the De world.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had one of these as my only DE for over 20 years. I still have it, it still works great, and I shaved with it yesterday. It gets some very unfair negative attention at times, but it's great value, and I possibly wouldn't be on this site if I hadn't started out with this razor all those years ago.

I tried the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor this morning. I agree with the OP that this is an extremely mild razor. More mild than a post-War Gillette Tech by quite a bit. It took some work, and resulted in a socially acceptable shave, not more. But it's cheap, easy to use, more weighty than an all-plastic razor, virtually indestructable, almost impossible to get cut by, and takes inexpensive DE blades. I can see a place for it as an extra razor, a camping razor, a travel razor, a rotation razor for guys who like or need mild razors, or a razor for a young man with fair whiskers and a fair face just starting to learn to shave. Your 13 year old son isn't going to emerge from the bathroom with blood all over with this razor.

Does anyone know where they are made? I threw out my packaging long ago.

As this is the same razor as the Treet Platinum (other than the Wilkinson logo), it is likely made in Pakistan as the Treet Platinum is.
This was my intro DE razor so my recollection is a bit faint and before my technique was dialed in. Alas, it broke early on. The plastic threaded shaft just broke off for no good reason.
The other flaw would be that this is head light and handle heavy which is likely not the best balance to let the razor weight do the work.

A similar design razor I ended up liking better is the Lord Racer which has a metal top cap (also knownas the Lord Super)

the ones they sell in romania are made in germany (as per package inscription).
i should know, i have 2 of them.
there is something about 'em wilkies that makes me reach out and grab one whenever i shave.
working great with aggressive blades, smooth gliders. a bit of work required under the nose but that's ok, part of the ritual.

I think that this razor who helped me to use de blades, is good only for the first 10 or 15 shaves. Its light head doesn't help a beginner to understand the pressure of blades and that' why I got a lot of irritation.

I am using another razor with heavy head and irritation on skin are gone.

Received and used for the first time today. I haven't used a DE for decades but this is a great razor in my opinion. Only one tiny nick despite the lack of practice (using Arko for lather and a Derby blade). It made me feel confident - and for a long-time cartridge user like me that is very helpful.

Top Bottom