What's new

My review of the DE shavette world!

Hi! My name is Noorm and I'm an addict. I'm addicted to shavettes!

I'm not here to discuss the pros and cons of shavettes vs. real straight... I'm not here to discuss the dangers of shaving with a shavettes...

I'm here to give an overview of what shavettes styles are available on the market for regular double edged (DE) blades.

First off, kudos to Petesurfer who coined the term Shavettes Acquisition Disorder or SAD: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=606229&postcount=19&highlight=shavettes+acquisition+disorder

Now, two pictures that will be central to my "review"!

full

full

The list (in order from left to right):
Code:
Shaving Shack Shavette $11.75
Sanguine XD20          $11.69
Parker SR1             $15.75
Focus Folding Razor     $8.42
DOVO Shavette          $36.75
TRI Folding Razor       $3.48
Diane 204               $8.87

There is three basic mechanism. The Shaving Shack, Sanguine and Parker use two "massive" metal plate to squeeze the blade in a sandwich. The Focus and DOVO use a plastic holder. The TRI and Diane use some kind of sheet metal holder.

Both the Focus and DOVO use a plastic "hinge" that will no doubt break with time and use. So these two might need a replacement holder in a while. The price on the DOVO shavette is also quite mad at more than double the next highly priced shavette.

The sheet metal holder of the TRI and Diane should not break. I think it's a better solution but they are still very light. Also, in a normal straight shaving position, your thumb will rest on the metal holder. That holder remain in place by a very light friction so I think it COULD move during shaving (The blade would do a slicing motion on your face if the holder move).

Finally, the more robust and heavy Shaving Shack, Sanguine and Parker. At that price, I don't think you should buy anything else. The finish on the Shaving Shack and Sanguine is pretty good. The Parker I received was a bit warped and had some kind of scratching on it. The polish wasn't as good as the two other either. The Sanguine feel a little light. The Shaving Shack one is my favorite.

Maybe I'll find a scale to put some number in there...!

Higher resolution picture (a bit fuzzy, but still better) there: http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=30272

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! Thanks for posting. :thumbup:

You need a Feather Artist Club (or two), and a Kai Captain to round our your collection!!

I have 3 actual straight razors, but Shavette style razors interest me; perhaps I am just lazy.

I currently have a Parker, a Fromm (hair shaper), and a Weck (hair shaper with pretty handle). I will likely buy a Feather Artist Club soon.

Do you have any experience with the hair shapers?? Quite a few here have found, that if you remove the comb guard you have a non-flexible, fairly long blade that can function as a quite nice shavette (just be careful of the double spike points).

The Fromm uses the same blades that work with the Dovo Shavette's green holder: much thicker, and longer than a DE blade.

I have also heard it is possible to take the Dovo Shavette holder, and sand it down a bit, so it is capable of fitting into a Fromm Hair Shaper (I plan on trying it, just waiting for my Green Holder to show up in the mail).

Nice post. I too use only disposable blade straights. Right now I have the following:

3 Feather AC razors. The DX, the RG, and the Japanese non folding model.

1 Kai Excella, all stainless, my current favorite, and I'm waiting on the Kai non folding to arrive.

3 Parkers, the SRW and the SRB, and one of the stainless folding Parkers, which I see in your photo.

I like to ease of use of these razors, and the not having to worry about all the upkeep of them. Just a simple change of the blade. My technique is quite good with any of these straights, and the shaves are very nice indeed. :thumbup1: :w00t: :001_rolle

Just bought the dovo a couple of weeks ago. now you post this. another AD I don't need. and one or two only in Britain. gee thanks.

I always wondered what the difference between all the Shavette type razors were... Now I have somewhat of a clue

I wonder, Do you guys in the states get the Wahl branded ones? they seem to be constructed similarly to the Tri and the Dianne thingies
That's sorta the only sort I've seen for sale about the place.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks for the information in this excellent post. I've been using a "Dianne" type shavette successfully but the blades are tricky to change, the razor has no weight and the handle is too loose. I've been reading reviews on shavettes and had been leaning toward a Parker. After reading this, from someone who has been around the shavette block, I ordered a Parker SR2 today. I would have taken your advice on the Shaving Shack razor but the shipping from England put me off that one and the mechanism appears to be the same as the Parker - maybe later for that one. I'll probably end up with a collection anyway.

I am kinda sorta thinking about trying a very inexpensive (the Mrs. is looking at me kind of funny with my recent shaving purchases) shavettes myself in the near future mostly to use to trim around my beard and moustache.

And possibly try an actual shave in the unknown future once I have mastered DE Wet shaving!

$WIN_20150320_074931.jpg$WIN_20150320_075411.jpgGreat write up. I have two shavette. I started out on a Magic that I picked up from the local Sally's in a bit of frustration with the condition of my recently purchased straight. I used it for several months until I was turned onto the Universal from Italy. It is similar to the Parker but you use full size DE blades without having to break them in half. I love this razor. Great heft and balance.

Last edited:
View attachment 598723View attachment 598724Great write up. I have two shavette. I started out on a Magic that I picked up from the local Sally's in a bit of frustration with the condition of my recently purchased straight. I used it for several months until I was turned onto the Universal from Italy. It is similar to the Parker but you use full size DE blades without having to break them in half. I love this razor. Great heft and balance.
How did you like the magic shavette I was eyeing one the other day seem to cheap to be true if that makes sense

I have the Universal double as well, mainly due to Parastang's experience with it. A little pricy because of the added shipping from Italy, but man can I get a great shave from it. All in for around $30, I am not disipointed. It also gives me a way to use the 240+ DE blades sitting in my den.

Ericaw, the Magic is a good example of "you get what you pay for." It does work but you have to be careful when putting in a new blade. It takes some trial and error to get it to remain seated correctly when you slide the blade holder back into the handle. It is very light weight. To me, this is the most significant factor in its influence on your shave. I have found that heavier blades perform better. You don't have to force them to cut the hair nearly as much when compared to the Universal, which is much heavier.. They are night and day different from one another. I did shave with the Magic for several months while earning this style of shaving with no real downsides other than the ones stated. I do have to say that I have not picked up the Magic since getting the Universal and I don't have any plans to. The Magic is cheap but functional. I think that pretty much says it all.

Last edited:
Great to see the disposable blade straights get some attention! I tried the stropping and honing route, but it just didn't interest me. I bought a Parker SR1 and I was hooked. It's been my daily shaver for almost 2 years and I love it! BBS shaves are the norm...

Thanks man! This helps me! Looks like the dovo is a waste. Why use plastic in a shavette! This is a mans tool, no need for plastics! Steel and more steel!

Nice stuff. I got a Barber's Razor from The Holy Black, which is set up similar to the Sanguine razors. A full DE blade fits in with no problem, and it is one of my favorite shavers.

It is very light weight. To me, this is the most significant factor in its influence on your shave. I have found that heavier blades perform better.

I have a Facon(a rebranded magic), a Haryali(a rebranded Parker), a Dovo, and a Weck Hair Shaper. The Facon and Dovo are lightest and the Weck and Dovo are both fairly small compared to other shavettes. SADly(see what i did there?), I can see myself owning a Sanguine, Sedef, Focus Slim, a CJB, a Universal, a Strong Leopard, and maybe someday even a Feather.I've been bitten by RAD of all kinds, DE's, SE's, Shavettes, and Straights. But the shavettes are right up there for fun and cool factor.

Oh,and @noorm, great write up.

Top Bottom