What's new

My Review of Method Shaving

A few weeks ago I made the trip to Austin and visited CAR's shop. I have been very intrigued by Method Shaving for quite some time but have really struggled with decision as to whether or not I should try it. I finally decided to give it a go, as I live fairly near his shop and figured that it was going to haunt me until I tried it.

Charles has taken a lot of abuse on this board and others in regards to his communication skills and for that I do not defend the man, however, he is a true gentleman and does his best to help correct this lost generation of shavers. On 18 hours notice, Charles cleared a 3 hour window for me to have a one-on-one consultation and to shave with his products (all free of charge). After the shave, we visited briefly and he concluded our meeting without ever once suggesting that I purchase a single product from the store. This really surprised me, as I figured I would have to deal with some "pushy salesman tactics" from him. It's not often that you can take 3 hours of a salesman's time with no strings attached. Anyway, I had gone to Enchante with the intention of purchasing CAR's products, so I dragged him back across the store and had him put together all the products I would need.
For about $130-$140, I bought the Cube, shaving paste, cutting balm, spray tonic and a/s conditioner (everything with Lime/Green Tea scent except for the tonic which was Frankincense).

On to the shave... Let me first say that for the last couple of months, I have been getting terrific shaves with English creams. I didn't chose to try CAR's products because I didn't know how to shave. I chose to use them to see if they were all he claims them to be and to see just how much (if any) the health of my skin could/would improve.

The first shave (the one in the store with Charles) was a little scary. The razor angle that he suggested I use was not agreeing with my skin and I ended up a quite raw. My face was glass smooth but hot and swollen as well. This, however, did not discourage me from purchasing the products. Method shaving is not a one-size-fits-all system. It is a framework that allows for adjustments to each individual as each individual's face and facial hair are different. So, I purchased the products with the confidence that I could, in the privacy of my own bathroom, adjust the razor angle to what best fits my face.

The second shave was abysmal! My face, not fully recovered from the first shave, bled and burned like never before in my shaving career. I was confident that my lather was exactly what it should have been and my touch was extremely light, yet the result looked like a CAR accident (yes, pun intended).

The third shave, I reverted back to an English cream because I know that system and needed to let my face recover and satisfy in my own mind that I still knew how to shave.

The fourth shave. I took an incredible amount of time to make sure that my lather and technique were 1st rate (I finally went wholesale back to the razor angle that I am comfortable with). I performed 3 N-S passes, 1 ear-to-chin, and 1 jaw-to-nose, and my face was looking good and feeling good. I then worked up the cutting balm / paste mixture used for t/c and applied it to my face. The combo made my face sting pretty good, however, I continued to finish the shave. I was light bulb smooth with zero nicks, but my face was burning pretty good. The rest of the day my face was hot and looked as though someone had repeatedly slapped the sh*t out of it.

The next 2 shaves I used only English creams and my face returned to normal, both shaves being extremely close and completely irritation free. At this point I began to suspect that one of two things were going on. 1.) the system was bunk or, 2.) I was allergic to one of the products.

Shave number 7. I used the cube with paste and English cream, skipped the cutting balm, and finished with spray tonic and a/s conditioner. The shave was beautiful. Extremely close, zero nicks, zero irritation. Skin felt silky smooth and the skin was the color of skin and not molten lava.

With the arrival of day number 8 (today), I was pretty sure that the cutting balm was the culprit. I skipped the shave and put the cutting balm on my face. In 30 seconds my skin was red and blotchy and I had a definite burning sensation. :mad:

You probably figured it out before I did, but the cutting balm was killing me. I plan on calling CAR to inquire if this has happened with any of his other customers.

As a total review of the system. Despite reports of a doo-doo like smell, I really like the cube. I will continue to use it in conjunction with my English creams as I feel that the combination produces a superior lather that can easily be thinned or thickened with minimal worry of washout. The actual shaving paste I could take or leave. It doesn't do anything notably special for me. The spray tonic and a/s balm are excellent. I will continue to experiment with other a/s products but will always keep CAR's products in stock and heavy in the rotation.

For those of you who are thinking of trying Method Shaving, I say do it. If it weren't for my skin allergy, I think I would love the whole system. As it is, I have added a few things to my daily shave that improve it and make it more enjoyable. Don't let his articles/essays cause you to miss out on some great products.

Kyle

Kyle,
Thanks for the review! Kinda interesting.... you and I had the same exact outcome (save for the cutting balm which doesn't burn me). I dunno what it is - but that shaving paste on its own (with just it and the cube) just doesn't work for me - but couple the cube with english cream, and follow it up with the tonic and moisture cream = perfection!

I was told that the cube is not just traditional Marseilles(sp?) soap. Although they appear similar; I was told that the "cube" contains chlorophyl, which is what makes it so conditioning/slippery.

If you've used the "cube" you know that it gets SLICK when wet...

Randy, as Howard states, the 2 main ingredients to the cube are olive oil and chlorophyll. I have, however, been contemplating the purchase of some Savon de Marseille soap to experiment with. If it doesn't work out in the shave, it is supposed to be an excellent bath soap, and it's only about $14 for 1KG.

Joel, it is interesting that we've ended up with the same result / point of view. I think my favorite part of the cube and English cream mix is when you are at the t/c phase of the shave, you can use some of it that is almost gummy in consistency to clean off those last few stubborn whiskers without risk of irritation.

To any of you guys using the a/s and tonic, do you find yourself going through the tonic at a fairly high rate? I have only been using my current bottle for about 2 weeks and it's almost halfway gone.

Anyway, I had another absolutely beautiful shave this morning using the cube/cream method. Also, I've been using some pure virgin olive oil in conjunction with the a/s products (very small amounts) and my skin feels incredible.

Kyle

Its been a hectic life these days so I don't get to hang around and too often anymore. Glad you got a chance to go to Enchante, as I am sure nearly everyone one of us would welcome the opportunity to see, smell and touch so many products we talk of.

I am surprised to here about the cutting balm as it seems to be the cube that people have a problem with more often than any other product.

As for the tonic, some time I feel like I drink it and then again the 8oz bottles seem to hold me 2 months or more. Coupled with the afterhsave cream it is pure luxury.

Kyle said:
To any of you guys using the a/s and tonic, do you find yourself going through the tonic at a fairly high rate? I have only been using my current bottle for about 2 weeks and it's almost halfway gone.

Kyle
By tonic, I take it you mean Charles' Hydrosol ? Actually, for me it's just the opposite. I'm on my second bottle in sixteen months and my second bottle is 1/4 full. I decant it to a 2 oz spray bottle and use it that way...and I use a bunch of it too.

The moisturizing After Shave (which is now called "Conditioner") lasts even better. I just, after sixteen months, acquired my second tub, a little bit goes a long way.

Cliff

Cliff,

No doubt about it, the conditioner appears as though it will last the better part of a year. Also, on further inspection, I think my Hydrosol leaked in my overnight bag so I haven't really used as much as I thought.

Kyle

All,

A member of the shaving forums generously sent me a "slice" of a cube a while back and I've been using it 2 wash my face instead of the suggested manor. I have to say that my face has never felt better. I haven't had any problems with ingrown hairs or razor bumps for 2 weeks now.

I also use the CAR Peppermint a/s balm and all I can say is WOW! magnificent stuff.

I will definitely be buying another cube and some tonic in the very near future.

Patrick

Anybody have any problems with "Da Cube"? I purchased a cube sliced into three sections,this way they travel better. So far all three sections have broken into twenty or so pieces after several uses (about ten or so). This makes the use of the cube real difficult, I've had to throw out a lot of cube so far - the last section has pieced together and I've been able to use it fairly whole.

The first sample (a slice) that I had lasted a long time and stayed intact 'till the end. Anybody notice this happen with slices ??

Cliff

Generally it has to do with your weather. During dry times the cube will dry out a lot faster after use without time to contract from being saturated with water and this leads to cracking. It also can happen if it is just really dry in the first place as moisture gets pulled from it to a relatively high degree.

Hey Graham!
I don't know if all olive oil soaps contain chlorophyll, but KMF does:

KISS MY FACE offers you an alternative. We believe that superior, basic cleansing can be achieved without the use of synthetics or animal ingredients. Our soap is manufactured in Greece by the largest, most respected manufacturer, boasting five generations in soapmaking, and upholding the old traditions that create a pure, unadulterated product. In producing KISS MY FACE PURE OLIVE OIL SOAP, the traditional olive oil formula is strictly adhered to. Of course, we use no animal ingredients, foaming agents or preservatives. From time to time, you may see variances in shade and color. These have no affect on quality or performance. The color of 100% pure olive oil depends on the season of the year and the orchard from which the olives are selected. Our soap also contains chlorophyll, which is light sensitive and will change in tone and shade as exposed to light.

Hey Shogun!
I guess the best way to prevent the cube from drying out is to keep it imoist, such as by keeping it in a container with a wet/damp sponge nearby.

~Tim :cool:

Shogun said:
Generally it has to do with your weather. During dry times the cube will dry out a lot faster after use without time to contract from being saturated with water and this leads to cracking. It also can happen if it is just really dry in the first place as moisture gets pulled from it to a relatively high degree.

I just started into the whole wet shaving thing and I thought I'd post my experiences here since they seem to be related.

First of all, I have never enjoyed shaving in any way. It has always been something I did out of necessity and even then only when it was asolutely necessary. Prior to my discovery of wet shaving about a week ago, I had only shaved once in 2006 with a razor. All other facial hair removal was done with hair clippers. The source of my reticence was intense razor rash after each shave.

Backstory (Skip this if you wish)
I was never taught to shave by my Dad. I think this is something that most people my age would have in common. I did, however, see him shaving and he used those Bic single blade disposables with Colgate shaving foam. When I came of age, it was with these products I started my shaving career. It was horrid and I hated every second of it. Quickly I asked for an electric shaver for Christmas, hoping to alleviate the pain. I received a Norelco 2 head electric shaver. With it the rash was a bit better, but my adam's apple looked more like a strawberry and my shaving took about 30 mintues for only mediocre results. After losing the Norelco in a move, I switched back to Bic.. ugh. I then discovered the Gillette Sensor. It was by far the best shave I'd ever had, but the rashes were still persistant. I then moved up to the Mach III which slightly improved the rash, but it was still there in full force. All this time I had also been switching from one foam to another with various gels and pastes thrown in for good measure. If there was a difference I could not tell. I also tried various aftershaves from Skin Bracer to Nivea. I thought I had a breakthrough with the Mach III Power and the Nivea aftershave, but the success lasted only about 2 shaves and the rash was back in full force. Since then I've avoided razors at all costs and used the clippers.

Fast forward to the present. About 2 weeks ago I was sitting at my computer , scratching my facial hair and reading Wikipedia. Somehow I ended up searching for information about shaving. It was at this point I discovered wet shaving. The more I read, the more it seemed like wet shaving was the way to go. Since I live in Austin, I decided to go meet Charles A. Roberts and see what this was all about. I drove over to his shop and "cased" it. I looked inside to see Charles at the counter and no one else in the store. I decided to come back another day because I wasn't looking for someone to put the hard sell on me.

The next day as I scratched my growth and busted out the hair clippers, I decided I was going to find out what this wet shaving was all about, hard sell or not! So it was time for another trip down to Enchante.

(Rejoin here)
I walked into the store and was greated with the fresh smells from all the products in the store. Charles walked over and said, "Interested in some shaving products?" I said, "I'm thinking about it." And thus began my education. Charles talked about the history of shaving, the generation gap, shaving theory, and topics I didn't even pretend to understand. I kept waiting for the hard sell to come on, but it never did. He just kept talking about shaving and all the pitfalls of the modern shaving method. Then he took me back and demonstrated the shaving cube and paste. He had me rub it between my hands for about 30 seconds, then I rinsed it off. When I put my hands back together, I knew there was more to all this than just talk. After little more chatting he invited me to come back to the store for a clinic on wet shaving.

I walked into the store two days later with t-shirt on and towel in hand. Charles immediately took me back to the small bathroom and started running water in the sink. He kicked the small shaving cube into the sink and told me to wash my face. After washing my face I lathered up with the cube and he put some paste in my hand. I put it up on my face and was ready for my first experience with the Double Edge. He walked right up behind me and started doing N-S on the right side of my face. It was so quick I was almost startled. Then he handed me razor and told me to do the left side. It was a lot easier than I thought. It was also a lot bloodier. By the time I had made it through all the shaving forms my neck was a bloody mess and I was starting to get concerned. I let Charles know how I was feeling and he told me it was my technique, I was shaving too hard. Sure enough, when I cleaned my face off and patted dry, I discovered it was the side of my face that I had been shaving that was so bloody, there were only a few nicks on Charles' side. Charles then pumped out some conditioner for me and strayed on some tonic. We then went back out to the showroom and he finished me off with some Trumper's Extract of Limes aftershave. My skin felt great and the shave was the closest I had ever experienced!

Again I asked about all the blood, and Charles had to admit there was a lot, but he asked me if there was any burning. I had to admit there was not. I was still uncertain about all of this, but I decided to give it the old college try. Without any pressure, Charles started making his recommendations. He recommended 2 different brushes, I selected the Edwin Jagger Super Badger. Then he got me a cube (sliced) and I selected the Lime and Green Tea Hydrolast shaving paste and Peppermint Hydrolast conditioner. When it came to the razor he did not give me a choice. He handed me the Merkur HD and said it was manditory (!!!). He wanted to put me into Feather blades right away, but I balked at that and went with the Derbys. I also picked up some of the Trumpers Extract of Limes aftershave I'd tried earlier. After checking out Charles threw in some Eucalyptus tonic at no charge (a nice touch).

At this point we talked about a few non-shaving related topics. Whatever your opinion of Charles Roberts, he's a person you really should try to meet. He is SMART and is the type of person who suffers no fools. I enjoyed just listening to his opinions and views on a variety of topics. We then parted ways and he invited me to come back for another shaving clinic whenever I wanted.

The aftermath
The next day I awoke to burning on my neck. The rash was back. I did not shave because of the rash and also I didn't really need a shave. I was a bit disappointed, but decided to give the method a shot before deciding it didn't work. As the day went on, the rash didn't seem so bad and it was mostly confined to the left side of my face where I had done all the shaving. I decided that the rash had more to do with my heavy handed technique.

Since then I have shaved each day using the RMWS (well, I'm trying at least). Although I am still searching for a shave as close as that first one, the rash has all but disappeared and the blood has almost completely vanished. I look forward to shaving each day, to see what new lesson I will learn. Shaving is now a pleasurable part of my daily hygiene regimen.

Cliff said:
Anybody have any problems with "Da Cube"? I purchased a cube sliced into three sections,this way they travel better. So far all three sections have broken into twenty or so pieces after several uses (about ten or so). This makes the use of the cube real difficult, I've had to throw out a lot of cube so far - the last section has pieced together and I've been able to use it fairly whole.

The first sample (a slice) that I had lasted a long time and stayed intact 'till the end. Anybody notice this happen with slices ??

Cliff

Soap can be re-milled or reformed several times.
Cut or grate your pieces into a heat proof pan and heat over a double boiler until the soap becomes gelled keep mixing -you can add some water or goats milk or extra virgin olive oil to super-fat the soap -scoop/pack into your mold (ice cube tray) and let set up.
a couple of caveats;
This only works with REAL soap- don't overheat 110-120 F should do it, add liquid very sparingly a little at at time if you screw up you can most likely do it again.

Good luck,Jim

Kyle, Joel, and others can chime in... So in your opinion, if I was going to give methodshaving a whirl, would you recommend just getting the cube, balm, tonic, and a/s? I really like my english creams too, so assuming the paste isn't supposed to serve some "special" purpose in it all, I'm sure i'd prefer using those anyway... Anyone know if Charles has ever mentioned a reason to use HIS paste over a cream?

Top Bottom