What's new

my review of Arko shaving soap.

Arko and BLIX is made by the same Turkish company. I understand that BLIX is discontinued.
Doe anyone know where I can get BLIX?
I've looked and googled but nothing shows up as a place to buy it. BLIX is said to be VERY nice as well as ARKO.

E

eae1983

Jeff, if you can read this, (since you wrote your last message in 2006) there is a Turkish Barber in Montreal, that uses Arko shaving sticks, (and sell them too) Commando Cream (Originally made for us, Turkish Soldiers) and Straight Razors and Barber Scissors, as it is the custom in Turkey. All their equipment comes directly from Turkey too. The owners (Ali, Alim and Osman) are really good friends of me, just tell them Emir Ali (me) sent you and tell them "Hi" from me if you ever go. (I'm back in Turkey since half a year)

I can guarantee you the best shaving experience you will have in all Canada! As they are very experimented barbers on the Turkish soil already.

They are at the corner of Champagneur and St.Roch in the Parc Metro (I still have their business card) and their number is 514 - 227 5861.

The name of the place is "gold scissors" that is a direct translation of the nickname of a legendary turkish barber of the 50's in Istanbul.

I hope I was helpful.

Emir

Agreed, Arko stick is fantastic. So good and so inexpensive.

The scent won't be to everyone's taste. Out of the wrapper it was even a little strong for me, and I like eating the most stinky cheeses!

It did smell a lot like latrine puck, too much so. But as I'm learning, you can't judge the scent of a soap right out of the wrapper. In some cases, it's like 10 times more potent out of the wrapper than it is after a period of mellowing.

I learned this with both Arko and Tabac. After sitting in my open old-timey scuttle for over a month, it now has a nice, slightly sweet citrus/lemon scent that is redolent of tasty Pez candy when whipped up. Very refreshing and delightful. It's miles from the overwhelming toilet puck scent it had right out of the wrapper.

So if the scent conks you over the head at first, don't despair. Just give it some time in the open and you may love the scent as much as you will love the performance.

Agreed, Arko stick is fantastic. So good and so inexpensive.

The scent won't be to everyone's taste. Out of the wrapper it was even a little strong for me, and I like eating the most stinky cheeses!

It did smell a lot like latrine puck, too much so. But as I'm learning, you can't judge the scent of a soap right out of the wrapper. In some cases, it's like 10 times more potent out of the wrapper than it is after a period of mellowing.

I learned this with both Arko and Tabac. After sitting in my open old-timey scuttle for over a month, it now has a nice, slightly sweet citrus/lemon scent that is redolent of tasty Pez candy when whipped up. Very refreshing and delightful. It's miles from the overwhelming toilet puck scent it had right out of the wrapper.

So if the scent conks you over the head at first, don't despair. Just give it some time in the open and you may love the scent as much as you will love the performance.

Haha 4 year old thread.

I do agree 100% with this post though. I use Arko quite frequently.

Another Arko fan here! The soap is a fantastic performer- I don't believe that anyone would argue there and I am one of the lucky ones that quite enjoys the scent as well.

Jeff, if you can read this, (since you wrote your last message in 2006) there is a Turkish Barber in Montreal, that uses Arko shaving sticks, (and sell them too) Commando Cream (Originally made for us, Turkish Soldiers) and Straight Razors and Barber Scissors, as it is the custom in Turkey. All their equipment comes directly from Turkey too. The owners (Ali, Alim and Osman) are really good friends of me, just tell them Emir Ali (me) sent you and tell them "Hi" from me if you ever go. (I'm back in Turkey since half a year)

I can guarantee you the best shaving experience you will have in all Canada! As they are very experimented barbers on the Turkish soil already.

They are at the corner of Champagneur and St.Roch in the Parc Metro (I still have their business card) and their number is 514 - 227 5861.

The name of the place is "gold scissors" that is a direct translation of the nickname of a legendary turkish barber of the 50's in Istanbul.

I hope I was helpful.

Emir

I went to "Gold Scissors" today and had a haircut and a straight razor shave
this is the best barbershop i ever went to

I love Arko also !! I had a great shave with it tonight with one of my my 57 flare tip superspeeds before taking my wife out to dinner to a nice resturaunt. I smash two sticks in a VDH bowl.

Guys if you like its scent, then just try the "regular" cream. It has a very similar clean soapy scent but without the lemony addiction, which I think most will like.

Clearly, this will be one of the threads that never dies, as there will always be us gnubs coming in and adding to it. Oddly enough, I just got two Arko sticks in the mail yesterday, and had my first Arko shave experience this morning. My experience will probably not be the same as most, as I got mine into a mug in a novel way. I had purchased two over the Internet because I have an old travel set with the tubes for a stick and brush that I am rebuilding. I had figured that if this was going to be my travel set once I get the new case built, I should have a shaving stick in its proper place. When the Arko sticks arrived, I realized that they were bigger than the tube by just a bit. It actually took me a minute to realize why these old tubes had the sliding bottoms in them, and I crammed that stick right in, the tube shaving off the excess. That left a chunk of Arko the size of a walnut left over, which I put in the bottom of a spare mug. Thus used with my badger brush, gave me an amazingly rich lather. As all the rest have said, it is a very effective soap, and help produce a good shave. It has a very clean tallow soap scent, with a hint of lemon. I find it pleasant enough. It is only because I love basking in the scent of the artisan bay rum soap I usually use that the Arko will not replace it as my every day shaving soap. It will, however, most certainly be used now and then for variety, as I love the lather.

it is obligatory to serve in the military in turkey and it is obligatory to shave every morning in the military.
so the arko commando is intended for the turkish soldiers.

National Service is also required of all medically fit male permanent residents and citizens of Singapore (one of two branches of the military or the national police force, two years plus 30 days a year thereafter until age 40) and Germany (nine months at age 19). I wonder what they use to shave in the morning. I personally think something like that should be adopted here in the States, especially the Singapore model -- the FBI and the Marines would really appreciate that.

I just finished up a shave. My first with Arko. And I have to say I share a lot of the same sentiments as Jeff. Great lather, glide and smooth, cheap, all and all a great shave. I'd say I'm in the middle Arko camp though, as I still can not find love in my heart for the smell. I tried. I really really tried. I even let it air out for a month.

In the end, it's still a great soap. Dollar for dollar perhaps the best soap I've used. And it will remain in my rotation for a good long time.

i've had a stick of Arko for the past few months just sitting in my room it was a gift from a relative. i don't know why i've waited so long to try it but this stuff is amazing. i used my shavemac brush w/ the Arko stick and i've never had such an explosion of lather. i didn't think it could get any better than Tabac but Arko is a true treasure.

tryphon, commando's a hell of a cream, but that soap stick is the bomb!!!!! Wait til you smell that clean, soapy scent, and wait til you lather up with it! I use it by placing it in a big mug, and with a brush i just scrub myself up a mountain of lather. I believe you'll love it.

Jeff

+10^100 :laugh:

I just opened my Arko stick and smashed it into my shaving mug with a large empty prescription bottle. It took a fair amount of force but eventually after about a minute of pushing, I did get it to smush into a puck. As for the smell (which many on here hate), it smells like an older laundry soap (the kind you use in a sink with a scrubbing board, my grandmother didn't have a washing machine until 1990) to me. Actually it brings back memories of childhood. I don't get much of the urinal puck smell that others comment on. I was going to use the Arko cream for all of my sampler blade testing, but I am tempted to lather it up for tomorrow's shave. Since it is softer than most pucks or sticks, I would expect it to lather up easier and fill the brush better than most pucks.

Arko is very easy to get a quality shaving lather from I noticed. I don't really mind the smell at all. It is an excellent soap to recommend to people just starting out wetshaving(due to price). Ironically my brother lives in Istanbul, and I never thought to ask him if he even tried it.

Top Bottom