What's new

my review of Arko shaving soap.

Gentlemen, a week ago, I received a bar of Arko shaving soap from a lovely gentleman who lives in Europe, and this soap is one I always wanted to get, but to my chagrin, it doesn't seem to be available in Montreal where I live. Although it seems to be a soap stick, I use it like any other shaving soap, I put in a mug that I've got. Last Saturday morning was my first spin with it, I showered first, then splashed some hot water on my face, then applied a hot towel for 1 minute. Then, I wet my brush, and scrubbed it against the Arko bar for a bit, and within a second, rich, clean and soapy smelling lather billowed from my face. Normally, my weekday shaves are one pass N-S and no more than that, but every Saturday, I give myself the whole treatment. I decided to take my time, clue out, and enjoy a barbershop shave, Turkish style. I did the first pass with my trusty Dovo straight N-S, nice and slow, then rinsed my face, applied another hot towel for 2 minutes this time, then relathered with the soap, and enjoyed my second pass again N-S so thoroughly, that I didn't want it to end! When it finally did, I rinsed off again, and dried off, moisturised with some Lubriderm unscented lotion, and then finally some Swiss Pitralon aftershave which smells great! I swear guys, this Arko stuff, whether be it soap or cream, is to die for. All I can say is, it's magnificent, and I know that a lot of other guys give these creams and this soap a rave review which these products deserve.

Jeff

Richard and others also wax philosophic about this soap - it would seem to be a superb product at bargain-basement prices. Thanks for the review!

I'm telling you this stuff is enough to want to make you rob a store to get it!:lol: Pricewise, it's apparently cheaper than cheap.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Scott echoes my sentiments about Arko exactly. I could shave with it everyday and not tire of it.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

I know, Richard, I love it as much as you do. Until I get some more of it, until I can stock up a bit on it, it looks like I'm going to have to ration it. Just one shave a week or so. Even the other creams, because they're too precious.

Jeff

Do you slice off an end of the cylindrical cake and place it in a mug, or do you just mash the entire thing down into a mug or bowl?

I've also though about using it like a stick: lathering the end of the soap in one hand with the brush in the other. But I'm worried about dropping everything if I do that, do to the slippery nature of the beasts...

Help! :eek:

Thanks!

Tom

Hello Tom,

I just jam the stick in my ceramic jar. If I could fit two sticks in there, I would!

Yes, you can use the Arko as a shave stick, I believe it was originally designed for that use. I think the wrapper will facilitate that use.

But I think that will get slippery and messy.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

That's exactly what I do with it, Richard, it fits perfectly in one of my big bowls. I use it like any other soap I have. Does it ever smell nice, and that lather......................, wow!!!

Jeff

Richard and Tom,
I saw this thread on Arko shaving sticks, and it seems to me that there is confusion on how shaving sticks are intended to be used. After washing my face and steaming it for a while with a hot towel, I wet the area to be shaved with hot water, then rub the end of the stick over the area to be shaved. Then I run hot water over the brush, and shake some of the excess water out.
I then use the brush to make the lather directly on my face, adding a little more hot water to the brush as necessary.
I found these directions for the use of a shaving stick in an old advertisement for Colgate's shaving stick, and it works just fine.
I am glad to have found the Arko stick, as I used to use shaving sticks that I found in Spain and Australia; in the early '70s, in the US, I used to see Williams' shaving sticks in drugstores, but at that time, I had no idea how to use one. I really like the scent of the Arko stick, and it produces ample lather, too.

I know, Caloy, I never saw so much lather from a soap stick like that, and the beauty is it's so damn cheap. It's clear and away the best soap I ever used! :biggrin:

Jeff

caloy24 said:
Richard and Tom,
I saw this thread on Arko shaving sticks, and it seems to me that there is confusion on how shaving sticks are intended to be used. After washing my face and steaming it for a while with a hot towel, I wet the area to be shaved with hot water, then rub the end of the stick over the area to be shaved. Then I run hot water over the brush, and shake some of the excess water out.
I then use the brush to make the lather directly on my face, adding a little more hot water to the brush as necessary.
I found these directions for the use of a shaving stick in an old advertisement for Colgate's shaving stick, and it works just fine.
I am glad to have found the Arko stick, as I used to use shaving sticks that I found in Spain and Australia; in the early '70s, in the US, I used to see Williams' shaving sticks in drugstores, but at that time, I had no idea how to use one. I really like the scent of the Arko stick, and it produces ample lather, too.
That's one way. I clearly remember when the most widely used shaving soap in Italy was the Palmolive shaving stick: everyone used it! It was Palmolive green, with a green paper wrapper and a foil wrapper underneath. I even remember the Palmolive name etched on the foil wrapper.
Most people just rubbed the wet brush on the end of the stick. As the stick wore down, you'd peel off some more of the foil wrapper. You had te be careful with hoe you rubbed the brush or you'd end up with a pointy stick!!
It was a great soap and it brings back lots of memories of Tuscany in 1959...

Is there a good online retailer of Arko products (I've never run across them)? Also, where is Arko made? Italy? Thanks.

Thank you gents -- now that's what I call service! I live very near a middle eastern market that carries a few Turkish products so I'll check there on the way home tonight. Otherwise it looks like tonight I'll be explaining to SWMBO why I spent money at a Turkish Web site. :blushing:

ME: "Well you see dear, this Turkish shaving soap offers fine lubrication and incredible lathering capabilities. It will provide a nice counterpoint to my creams from Portugal, Italy and the U.K."
HER: "Why can't you just buy a can of Edge gel at Safeway like everyone else?!"

Top Bottom