What's new

my review of Arko shaving soap.

Tulumba is shipping me...
- Arko Shave Stick (Berber Traş Kremi)
- Tube of Arko Commando (curiousity got the best of me)
- Alum block (only $2.99!)

The middle eastern grocer in my neighborhood didn't carry any toiletries, but I ended up buying a can of Turkish coffee and a special pot to make it in... Mmmmm, I can get used to that every morning!

reginald-van-gleason said:
Arko Commando makes you feel so free and natural that after using it you decide to "go commando" :eek:

LOL! Now I'm curious where on my bod I'm supposed to use Commando cream... :blush:

inkling said:
Tulumba is shipping me...
- Arko Shave Stick (Berber Traş Kremi)
- Tube of Arko Commando (curiousity got the best of me)
- Alum block (only $2.99!)

The middle eastern grocer in my neighborhood didn't carry any toiletries, but I ended up buying a can of Turkish coffee and a special pot to make it in... Mmmmm, I can get used to that every morning!

Good stuff and great service, although the alum block does not look as clear and smooth as the stuff I used to get in Italy for just a few lire.

Tryphon, Commando's a hell of a cream, but that soap stick is the BOMB!!!!! Wait til you smell that clean, soapy scent, and wait til you lather up with it! I use it by placing it in a big mug, and with a brush I just scrub myself up a mountain of lather. I believe you'll love it.

Jeff

tryphon said:
Good stuff and great service, although the alum block does not look as clear and smooth as the stuff I used to get in Italy for just a few lire.

This is my first alum block, so i have no comparison. I believe this block is smaller than most as well, but it seems to work well for me.

I used the Commando twice and the scent is familiar, but I can't quite place it. It is citrus with a hint of something darker.. musk maybe? I'm no fragrance expert, so perhaps crackstar could help on this one. Nevertheless, I really enjoy it; light but not trivial.

I used the shave stick yesterday. Since it was my first time with any shave stick, it took a while to get going, but then the lather exploded. I'm looking forward to using it again tomorrow or Saturday. I have a my first tube of Tabac cream being delivered today, so that might take precedence.

In a related issue, I am still stunned how fast Tulumba.com ships this stuff. I ordered it at 8 am Saturday, choosing the cheapest shipping option (USPS Priority Mail) and it was sitting in my mailbox at 11 am Monday. That's all the way from Brooklyn to Phoenix!

I have definitely become an Arko convert! :cool:

Commando reminds me vaguely of an Israeli made cream called Lavendor, but without the menthol. It is a sort of citrusy-woodsy scent, which is very pleasant.

Jeff

crackstar said:
Commando reminds me vaguely of an Israeli made cream called Lavendor, but without the menthol. It is a sort of citrusy-woodsy scent, which is very pleasant.

Jeff
Yes, a definite wood scent rather than musk. Whatever it is, I like it.

Jon

Jon, enjoy it, it's a wonderful cream. I also have the aftershave/cologne to compliment it when I shave with it.

Jeff

Jeff, I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down and paid the hefty shipping at Tulumba and got 5 shave sticks of Arko soap.:eek:
To make it worthwhile :biggrin: I grabbed 2 tubes of the Commando, I've only used a sample of it before and liked it very much.
I do have the Sensitive and Moist and love :tongue_sm those very much, but these are the only ones I've found locally.

Nitrox said:
Jeff, I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down and paid the hefty shipping at Tulumba and got 5 shave sticks of Arko soap.:eek:
To make it worthwhile :biggrin: I grabbed 2 tubes of the Commando, I've only used a sample of it before and liked it very much.
I do have the Sensitive and Moist and love :tongue_sm those very much, but these are the only ones I've found locally.

how much does Tulumba charge for shipping?

TraderJoe said:
how much does Tulumba charge for shipping?

To ship to Canada is way more expensive than to ship within the USA.
Let's just say it's about $10 a pound, maybe twice as much, if not more, as within the USA.

crackstar said:
Tryphon, Commando's a hell of a cream, but that soap stick is the BOMB!!!!! Wait til you smell that clean, soapy scent, and wait til you lather up with it! I use it by placing it in a big mug, and with a brush I just scrub myself up a mountain of lather. I believe you'll love it.

Jeff
I tried the stick and it is great! It smells like old-fashioned Savon de Marseille, the stuff my grandma used to wash linens... Great trip into the past!! I tried the sensitive skin cream and I liked it. It gave me a very smooth shave.
I also tried the Lemon cream and did not like the scent at all, although it also gave a good shave. There is an after-odor that I'd rather not describe... very odd. Reminds me of a latrine... I was looking forward to a good citrus scent and was disappointed. Monsavon in France make a cheap soap with a superb citrus scent. It comes in a cream-colored bowl and costs only a couple of Euros. Highly recommended!
Anyway, the Arko stick is great and will become my travel soap!

Even though I don't like the scent of the Arko soap as much as the Arko creams, Arko soap gives me the best shave of ANYTHING that I own. Always a BBS face, regardless of poor technique, shoddy strokes, etc.

I love the stuff!

P

polat

it is obligatory to serve in the military in turkey and it is obligatory to shave every morning in the military.
so the arko commando is intended for the turkish soldiers.

Welcome, Polat!
I had a couple of roommates in college who were from Turkey. I don't remember what they shaved with! I learned a few words so I could talk to their parents on the phone!
Oh, I love the Arko shave stick as well. Works great!

Norm

I tried the arko shavestick for the first time today. (Giovanni sent me a complimentary stick with my blade order)

The stuff lathered up REALLY well. It was one of the best shaves I've ever had. It seems easy to shave recklessly with this stuff.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom