What's new

My restore que just got WAY longer!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Geez, last time I went hunting (we got one!) was back in the fall of '84. All I remember is sweating and getting eaten by mosquitos as we slogged out through the marsh with ~100lbs of meat slung over our shoulders.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
ahhh! I had it backwards! Based on what you've done so far, I know you'll figure out how to make it work.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. The thought of 100 lbs of moose meat strapped to my back is making me hungry!

It's more a matter of design to incorporate what I have with the size and shape of the blade. I've just been a little too busy to devote what little brain power I have to the project. Can't rush art.

Here are a few that I have worked on in the last few weeks.

This one is a Geneva Pyramid in plastic tortoise scales that I freed from a local antique store. I didn't put new scales on this one because of a slight discoloration of the metal at the end of the blade. You may be able to make it out in the picture (just look past the finger prints). I was worried that the temper was blown and didn't want to waste time installing nice scales (although these are not bad) if it wouldn't take an edge. Doesn't seem to be a problem.
$104_1367.jpg

The next one is also a Geneva Pyramid found in a different antique store. Nothing fancy here, just clean it up and hone it.
$104_1368.jpg

This one is a flea bay purchase. A Hermann Mehl obviously from Soligen. I liked the faux tortoise scales and the heavily etched blade. It took a loooong time to remove the minor pitting, must be very hard steel. While reinstalling the scales, I couldn't find the original wedge and concluded that my young lab had found it on the floor. Had to make a replacement out of horn. Ah well, looks better anyway. Three pinned scales are a PITA!
$104_1369.jpg

Dave, as always, outstanding work on the straights! I really like the look of those tortoise scales and three pinned scales? It's my first time seeing that (now I am curious as to the purpose). Then again, I am still locked up in DE prison!:laugh: Nicely done my friend, keep up the great work!

The third pin,to the best of my knowledge, is only to set the gap between the scales. I too like the looks of tortoise, but the real stuff is hard to find and expensive. Maybe I'll try snapping turtle shell. Probably smell awful though.

The third pin,to the best of my knowledge, is only to set the gap between the scales. I too like the looks of tortoise, but the real stuff is hard to find and expensive. Maybe I'll try snapping turtle shell. Probably smell awful though.
Hmm...interesting design. Are these three pinned straights more rare? Earlier designs? You could always try alligator Gar scales:laugh: :lol:

Too funny! I don't think those would smell much better.
Three pinned straights are not particularly rare and seemed to be used on "fancied up" razors. This one, and most that I know of, are from the period between the World Wars, but I may be mistaken. A common occurrence.

Beautiful razors! I love getting a solid lot of razors like that.
Thanks! There were a few duds in the bunch, but, overall a nice bunch of razors to start playing with. There are still a few of the original batch waiting for their chance.

Top Bottom