What's new

My restore que just got WAY longer!

Those are very beautiful, it looks as if just the right person was chosen to give them to.
I appreciate that Mr. Howard!
I was afforded the opportunity to partially repay my barbers gift by restoring the razor that he used in barber school in 1962.

Well, the holidays are finally over! Now I can spend some time in the shop working on things for "yours truly".

Here is the completed Butcher Brothers in "strawberry's and cream" (for lack of a better term) plastic scales, #12 on the original list. These scales are, to my eye, UGLY, but in a "bull dog with an sever under bite" sort of way. Completely tacky but it works.
$104_1425.jpg
The use of my thumb print will not gain you access to anything worth getting into!

Absolutely splendid, Dave! I like the way that one looks, personally. Then again, that is probably just appetite speaking:lol: it looks great though, well done!

This one has some serious patina. This is an assembly of random, marginally serviceable parts lying about my bench. It is the only Bengall I've been able to find in the wild and it's an EXTRA Hollow Ground Razor (about half hollow) with a pronounced Spanish point that I like, so I tried to salvage it. While the picture makes it look like there are some serious chips on the edge, that is just poor lighting and photography skills. The horn scales are still solid but have nicks, gouges, bug bites and are quite warped. I'll see if it will shave in the morning. Maybe I should update my Tetanus shots:bored:.
$104_1429.jpg

Although it did take a while to get the bevel set, it took a very nice edge. The tip is slightly muted so it is not as menacing as it seems. As rough as it looks, it gives a very close and comfortable shave.
The next installment will be a bit more visually appealing.

Well you certainly have a nice skill set with restoring these things, Dave. Very nice work! As always, I will be looking forward to the next candidate!

Things don't always go according to plan.
I was fitting the Purple Heart wedge to the Yellow Birch burl scales for this Joseph Rodgers when this happened. :mad3:
$104_1433.jpg

This one went a bit better.
A George Butler that I picked up at an antique store for $2 (blade only). New horn scales with an old lead wedge. While I think the solid pyramid washers look good, I don't like the way that work while peening. They don't adjust themselves to the shape of the scale and the slope of the wedge. I hope that makes sense.
$104_1435.jpg

I shortened the Yellow Birch burl scales from the botched attempt in the previous post and fitted them to this 7/8" Extra Hollow Ground Sheffield (no. 14 from the original list) which was short enough to fit nicely. The finish didn't turn out as perfect as I would have liked but it should be serviceable.
$104_1475.jpg
$104_1477.jpg

Here is the 7/8" Joseph Rodgers from a couple of posts ago that must have wanted to run around bare footed in the shop for a bit longer. I cobbled up a new pair of horn shoes for it. The wedge is from half an ivory billiard ball that that I've been carting around the country for 30+ years. The domed washers seem to work better for me than the solid pyramid type.
$104_1467.jpg
$104_1478.jpg
$104_1479.jpg
$104_1480.jpg
$104_1481.jpg

Well, here it is CAP!
I was "swinging for the fences" with this one. I think it turned out to be a ground rule double.

CAP's 9/16" HL Garantie in Cherry burl scales. The wedge is from the burr at the base of a small whitetail antler. I inlet the antler so that the scales would set into the wedge allowing me to keep the exposed burr a bit thicker. I think the wedge is a bit too "wedgey" which led to the gap you may be able to make out between the wedge and the off side scale (hence the ground rule double).

At any rate, my best efforts for a great American!
$104_1487.jpg
$104_1492.jpg
$104_1493.jpg
$104_1495.jpg
$104_1499.jpg

Well, here it is CAP!
I was "swinging for the fences" with this one. I think it turned out to be a ground rule double.

CAP's 9/16" HL Garantie in Cherry burl scales. The wedge is from the burr at the base of a small whitetail antler. I inlet the antler so that the scales would set into the wedge allowing me to keep the exposed burr a bit thicker. I think the wedge is a bit too "wedgey" which led to the gap you may be able to make out between the wedge and the off side scale (hence the ground rule double).

At any rate, my best efforts for a great American!
View attachment 547243
View attachment 547244
View attachment 547245
View attachment 547246
View attachment 547247
Dave, this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! You have outdone yourself on this one and I cannot thank you enough! I really like how you utilized the burr of the antler to make the wedge, a very nice touch that will remind me of home:thumbup:

The Cherry burl is just mesmerizing, too. Is it from the same cherry burl stock that you sent me awhile ago? As always, I am thoroughly impressed with your patience and skill! The scales have a nice light and dark contrast. Our B&B members have skills:yesnod:

Oh, how was the blade Dave? We probably discussed it before but I cannot recall:001_huh: Hopefully the remnants of the antler comes in handy in your various professional projects! As always, it is a pleasure to see your work sir and thanks a million!

I'm honing the blade now. It is in very good shape and didn't need much effort to get the bevel set. The Cherry burl is from a different chunk than the piece I sent you earlier but should be a reasonable match if you get the chance to make a brush for a set. Maybe incorporate some antler as well.
Glad you like it, brother!

I'm honing the blade now. It is in very good shape and didn't need much effort to get the bevel set. The Cherry burl is from a different chunk than the piece I sent you earlier but should be a reasonable match if you get the chance to make a brush for a set. Maybe incorporate some antler as well.
Glad you like it, brother!
:thumbup::popc:

I intend on it, Sir! I still have it sitting with some black walnut that I may or may not include with it for a sweet two-tone brush like those you make. It will be a very nice set and it will have a special place in my so-called "den". Thanks again brother.

Top Bottom