What's new

My restore que just got WAY longer!

Next up is #1, the Celleperes 42. Never been around french steel before. This one will get some new horn scales. Anyone know anything about this maker?
$102_1167.jpg
$102_1168.jpg

Attachments

• $102_1113.jpg
    $102_1113.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
While I was seeing whether or not the horn scale blank for the frenchy would un-warp, I decided to play with the Wm. Elliot I picked up at the antique store. I was a little leery of removing the scales because of the cracked off side, so I cleaned up the inside of the scales a well as I could and polished up the blade. I think I'll leave it in this condition until I find a suitable replacement for the off side scale.
$102_1173.jpg
$102_1177.jpg

Will do CAP. It's in the lineup for tomorrow morning, although that point is a little frightening. I like the inlay as well. If it weren't for that, this one was probably going to have some figured walnut or cherry burl scales.

The Celleperes or (Celleferes?) put up a struggle. It sat in the scales on a fairly severe slant as seen in the first pic.
$102_1184.jpg
After trying a few different things to remedy the slant with little to no help, I put the tang in a wood jawed vise and used a crescent wrench to "adjust" the angle. A risky maneuver, I know, but I was running out of options and patience. I succeeded in straightening the way it sat in the scales without busting the tang off of the darn thing.

Here it is in my first attempt at new horn scales. Probably a little thicker than necessary, but I like them.
$102_1192.jpg
$102_1194.jpg
$102_1199.jpg

You're saying you bent the steel at the tang? Does it still sit right on the hones? If so, nicely done. Making good work on these restores. Every time I mention to an antique dealer that I collect straights, they get super excited and show me a box of 20+ razors I'd throw in the trash for $350+. It's pretty slim pickings out this way. Surprising as we are weighed down with antique shops, but they're better for shop tools and furniture than razors (they're out in Amish country).

You're saying you bent the steel at the tang? Does it still sit right on the hones? If so, nicely done. Making good work on these restores. Every time I mention to an antique dealer that I collect straights, they get super excited and show me a box of 20+ razors I'd throw in the trash for $350+. It's pretty slim pickings out this way. Surprising as we are weighed down with antique shops, but they're better for shop tools and furniture than razors (they're out in Amish country).

Thanks and Yes, I bent the steel at the tang. I put the tang in the vise with the pivot area just inside the jaws with the blade sticking out. Put the adjustable wrench on the exposed part of the tang and twisted VERY slowly and a little bit at a time until the blade was oriented in line with the pivot point. I also bent it a little sideways to get it to center in the scales. A pretty dicey operation, but this one was just about to become a fixed handled razor. Since I only bent the pivot area it had no affect on the blade itself. But what do I know, I'm making this stuff up as I go along.
Decent straights seem to be few and far between here as well. A lot of heavily serrated blades.

I was on a restoration hiatus while getting my daughter married off this weekend. While I was busy with that, this Genco arrived on my doorstep. What is the purpose of the square notch at the heel of the blade and the small, threaded hole at the toe? Was there some sort of attachment for this blade?
$102_1205.jpg
$102_1207.jpg

Also, here is the next of the barber's bequeathment to go on the operating table. I assume this is a rebrand as Buhl Sons Co. was a mail order hardware supplier in Detroit until sometime in the '40's. I also assume this was a special order personalized version that may be stainless. There was one small, lightly pitted spot on the non-show side spine, but the rest is uncorroded, even under the scales at the pivot. I thought I would give my poor arthritic fingers a break from blade sanding. This one will get some birdseye maple shoes when the finish is done.
$102_1203.jpg

Interesting straights you have there, Dave. No clue on the notch and threaded hole..I'm sure you will get an answer on that. Can't wait to see that birdseye maple all finished up next to some steel![emoji3]

Finally got around to finishing up the Buhl with birdseye maple scales and blackwood wedge. Shown with yesterday's antique store acquisition, what I believe is a coticule 6"x1"x3/4".
$102_1224.jpg
$102_1229.jpg
$102_1231.jpg

Thanks, CAP! The scales took a long soak in spar polyurethane then a few finish coats to get to that point, but it does "wink" at you when you turn it slightly in the light. Worth the effort and a far sight better than the plastic shoes it came in.

What finish on the Birdseye... It's nice!
Thank you, sir! I appreciate the compliment.
It is Helmsman Spar Polyurethane, a finish I use on wooden fishing nets and duck calls, so I figured it would work for these as well. I just put the scales in the almost full can of finish for 4 or 5 days to get a much penetration as possible. Take them out, wipe of the excess and let them dry for a day, a few thin finish coats....viol la. Probably not quite as durable as CA, but a little more pleasant to work with for me.

Top Bottom