What's new

My replacement for Tabac

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Don't get me wrong, I like Tabac, but it can be a bit much sometimes in the fragrance department. I used Stirling's Scots Pine Sheep this morning and got an excellent shave. I even used the Derby Extra blade that has been hacking me up. Oh one small nick. After the first pass my face felt smooth, supple and hydrated. I went again across the grain and against the grain. Very nice shave. I have to admit though it's a little heavy for warm weather and the pine scent makes think of cooler weather, but this soap really performs. It checks all of the boxes for me. I haven't used my sample of Mitchell's Wool Fat, but it dosen't smell good to me and I won't be buying a full jar of Saponificio Varesino, way to expensive for me. So it's going to be Stirling's mutton tallow from here on out. The sample picks are affordable and last a long time especially if you are rotating soaps.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Don't get me wrong, I like Tabac, but it can be a bit much sometimes in the fragrance department. I used Stirling's Scots Pine Sheep this morning and got an excellent shave. I even used the Derby Extra blade that has been hacking me up. Oh one small nick. After the first pass my face felt smooth, supple and hydrated. I went again across the grain and against the grain. Very nice shave. I have to admit though it's a little heavy for warm weather and the pine scent makes think of cooler weather, but this soap really performs. It checks all of the boxes for me. I haven't used my sample of Mitchell's Wool Fat, but it dosen't smell good to me and I won't be buying a full jar of Saponificio Varesino, way to expensive for me. So it's going to be Stirling's mutton tallow from here on out. The sample picks are affordable and last a long time especially if you are rotating soaps.
I’m right there with you. Stirling mutton base has overtaken every other soap base in my den (DG, WK, B&M, M&M Kodiak, A&E). They all bow to the lamb.

The hills are alive, with the sound of Stirling mutton tallow! I will always sing its praises :)
For something a little more summer scented in the mutton, I highly recommend Electric Sheep. Off the puck it is very citronella forward, but don't let that scare you off. Once lathered, I get mostly bright lemon with the citronella in the background.
Of course you cannot go wrong with Varen or Glasotnbury either! Heck to me, they are all winners.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Certainly my favorite soap base (that I've tried). Huge fan of Stirling. Great prices and great people. I have a few samples of their mutton varieties and I save them for special occasions. :)

My special occasion is when I rest my face on my hand, I don't feel any whiskers. I try to shoot for that every day. For me shaving isn't just a routine thing, it's something I actually enjoy. I also like it when people tell me I don't look my age.

The hills are alive, with the sound of Stirling mutton tallow! I will always sing its praises :)
For something a little more summer scented in the mutton, I highly recommend Electric Sheep. Off the puck it is very citronella forward, but don't let that scare you off. Once lathered, I get mostly bright lemon with the citronella in the background.
Of course you cannot go wrong with Varen or Glasotnbury either! Heck to me, they are all winners.
Can you or anybody else describe varen and/or Glastonbury please?

Tabac (tallow) is like my first love - late teens, hot and steamy, not able to continue seeing each other yearlong and we both needed break from after every few months.

Now when she (Tabac) will be gone and I'm left with the memories of how great it was, sometimes I won't know half of it was my imagination or was it really that great.

Having said that I'm looking forward to the Mutton Tallow soaps and glad to have some great memories.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Varen is a very green fougere with a richness and a sweetness to it. I’ve also seen others describe it as heavy on the oakmoss.

Glastonbury is patchouli-forward and reminds me of high school parties. It’s designed to recall 1960’s/1970’s outdoor rock concerts.
I had a sample of this yhat cane with an order. I didn't know it was sheep tallow based at the time, I really enjoyed it. The shave snd the fragrance. It didin't get realeased until 2 years later.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
While initially disappointed over the Tabac formula change, gotta admit I’m enjoying the quest of finding a replacement go-to soap. So far, Pre de Provence No. 63 is my top choice, followed by Stirling mutton-based soaps (Scots Pine, Sheep). I’ll give Haslinger a go for the first time tomorrow morning.

May never have tried these soaps had Tabac not messed with success, yet now enjoying the journey, and not missing the original Tabac one bit.

Well, maybe just a teensy bit.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Repost from “First time using Haslinger” thread, and a follow up to the post above:

Today was my first time using Haslinger (v2) in any form. Thanks to @Marco glowing reviews, I added a puck of Schafmilch to a Pasteur order to avoid shipping costs. Thankful I did, as this slippery lather bomb yielded a beautiful shave and a moisturized face for the rest of the day. A unique observation: as I gently squeezed water from my Zenith boar, I noticed the knot was much softer. Soft as a murmur. Soft as a clear conscience.

More shaves are needed before deciding where Haslinger will rank on my list of soaps. But I was so impressed that I am already scouting for a dedicated container for this Austrian gem.

View attachment 1343499

Tabac (tallow) is like my first love - late teens, hot and steamy, not able to continue seeing each other yearlong and we both needed break from after every few months.

Now when she (Tabac) will be gone and I'm left with the memories of how great it was, sometimes I won't know half of it was my imagination or was it really that great.

Having said that I'm looking forward to the Mutton Tallow soaps and glad to have some great memories.
I only started using Tabac (tallow) after having tried other soaps. I can see why it is so well loved! Though it's not my first love, I have also come to love it (enough to order a couple extra pucks of the tallow formula). I don't understand why Maurer Wirtz changed the formula* from something that worked so well. I wonder if it is a matter of EU regulations or if Maurer Wirtz was making a cost-conscious decision.

*TBF, I have not tried the new non-tallow version. Some people have reported better results and other have reported worse results with it relative to the tallow version. I suppose I'll try it at some point; I have no objection to using no -tallow soaps. One of my favorites is TOBS Sandalwood! 🙂

Top Bottom