What's new

My Recent Injector Acquisition and a Question

So, I was bitten with the injector bug a few months ago and have been stocking my shave den with them as I find ones I like (in other words...in pristine condition). I recently came upon an eBay ad that had really bad blurry pics (I know mine aren't much better :laugh:) of what I thought was a Schick Golden 500. Normally, I flee but that little voice in my head said check it out. I asked the seller if it had a blade in it (not sure why...the pics didn't even show the underside of the head) and they said yes. Well, I listened to the voice and purchased it anyway. And am I glad I did. The case is nothing special and it has a few minute scratches on the outside that should buff out but the metal hinge operates as it should. The razor itself? Pristine. The razor blade rusty from the last shave decades ago? Nope, that's the blade blank that came with the razor. 7 Schick Injector Blades? All present and accounted for. No lint or dust inside the case. The only non-NOS part of this razor is the fact that no instructions are present but I fully believe this razor never saw water. I know the blade blank can be removed and reinserted...I do that with my other injectors when I am not using them but this one does not have a scratch on it anywhere. I bought a NOS I-2 and it had a mark in the plating on the head most likely from sitting so long in plastic but this razor is practically flawless.

Now on to my question. The razor itself says Schick "500". I was always under the assumption that if the razor was gold and it said "500", it was a golden 500. I know most golden 500's come in a black case and even say Schick "golden 500" on the head. So I went to the Schick ID Guide. It says Golden 500's are J3's and it says a 500 is a J4 but it also says that J4's came with a silver head. So I'm confused. What exactly do I have? It didn't come in the black case like a golden 500 but it isn't silver either. Or is just an anomaly? Does anyone else have one of these? I was wondering if maybe it was a precursor to the golden 500's but maybe it came later. Any info appreciated. And thanks for looking at my crappy cell phone pics.

$IMG_2294.jpg$IMG_2295.jpg$IMG_2296.jpg$IMG_2297.jpg$IMG_2298.jpg

I guess I should listen to the voices in my head more often! :blink:

My understanding is that the Golden "500" has the Hydro-magic lever, the J1 I read somewhere also came in a black handle gold head. Tom(HoosierTrooper) will be along.

Tom

This razor has the hydro-magic lever. I just didn't take pics of it. Sorry I didn't clarify that earlier.

Some of them just don't fit into the various categories for some reason. A while back I picked up one that has an E frame, but a G handle that is plastic with the mold seam on it. I chalked it up as one made as they were transitioning to the new G handles and still had some E frames to use up.

Anyway, that is a very, very nice set!

Sounds good to me Tom. I was thinking this might be one of those transitional razors which is cool too as there aren't that many of them. I am very happy I took the chance. Of course you realize, this is all your fault. :001_smile And I thank you!

Sounds good to me Tom. I was thinking this might be one of those transitional razors which is cool too as there aren't that many of them. I am very happy I took the chance. Of course you realize, this is all your fault. :001_smile And I thank you!

:lol: You're welcome. Or, I'm sorry. Whichever is appropriate.

:lol: You're welcome. Or, I'm sorry. Whichever is appropriate.

I am sure Tom gets blamed for a lot of purchases. Following this thread (and others) I now have a cased white handle "Golden 500" hydro-magic on the way to me too :incazzato

Some of them just don't fit into the various categories for some reason. A while back I picked up one that has an E frame, but a G handle that is plastic with the mold seam on it. I chalked it up as one made as they were transitioning to the new G handles and still had some E frames to use up.

Anyway, that is a very, very nice set!
True enough ...and then there's the goofy Canadian models!

Top Bottom