What's new

My RazoRock 400 ReKnot

I really wanted a Badger knot for this one so I swapped the original knot out for one, and after a few test drives, I'm happy to report it's working great for me. :001_smile

Attachments

• IMG_0369[2].JPG
    IMG_0369[2].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
Thanks everyone for the kind words. This was the first brush that I've ever replaced the knot in. It wasn't very difficult to do and was a good learning experience for me. :001_302:

Decided to follow suit tonight. I’ve never been as happy with this brush with the black plissoft knot. It’s just not a good balance, the handle is so heavy and the knot is so light and soft. I love boars. I am lucky enough to have acquired and use an original Rubberset 400-4 with the original boar knot and love it as well. I had a cheap plastic zenith boar hanging around, so I opted to recreate the classic. I really like zenith boars and this pairing. Now I’ve got one that can be used a bit more often without concern of damaging or wearing out an original.

9D9983B5-B145-49AB-B02F-9D3DBB1A2DF6.jpeg

How did you pick all the remaining glue in the handle? I steamed the knot out of a handle but don’t know how is best to do that.
Did the weight change noticeably? Or just the balance with a knot with more back bone?
Yours looks great!

Steamed for 30 minutes then pulled the knot out. I’d steam longer next time and let it sit with the lid on for another half hour. The original synthetic plissoft knot came out all at once but in 3 pieces.

There was still a good bit glue and what looked like plaster in the socket. I put the handle in the boiling water for 2 more minutes and was able to us the flathead blade of an SAK to clean it all out.

The donor knot had to have a nickel band/cup removed from around the base, but wain’t too bad. The only thing i am not happy with is the glue holding the knot together. I could have filed it down as it is more like a plastic, not a soft rubberized glue. This would have let me set the knot base in about 2mm deeper, concealing any of the factory glue on the knot. Its not too noticeable, but it will taunt me. I set it into the socket with the clear 5 minute Gorilla epoxy. I used it this morning on some SV Manna Di Sicilia. My wife requested a lather for shaving her gams today, so i also used it to Marco method off the same SV puck. In under a minute on the puck, i was able to move over to her captains choice copper bowl and whipped up a voluminous lather for her.

Despite the loft of the knot being on the taller end of the spectrum, i face lathered and was pleased with the splay, and backbone when painting. It was not, to my surprise, a lather slinger when face lathering. Being that this was the cheapest boar brush knot ive bought from zenith, i was not sure what to expect from it. It feels soft when dry, and the ends are split already. However, the backbone being pretty good at this loft, i do notice a little more new boar scritch from this knot that i have not experienced in my other zeniths. Nothing bad, and will improve with use.

Thanks for your detailed report.
I think I will be throwing my handle in some boiling water. I have an Omega waiting for a new pair of pants.
Have fun braking in that knot. Sounds promising.

Someone stated elsewhere you have to be careful with gorilla glue products because they have a tendency to swell... Have you faced that yet ?

Top Bottom