What's new

My Public Apology

This is my public apology to Thirdeye (Ray):

I apologize. I was wrong. In a discussion about collecting razors, I once said that any serious collector knows that the better condition the razor, the more valuable the razor. Ray disagreed, arguing that some serious collectors may appreciate a little tarnish every now and again. I thought he was a lunatic.

After so much serious collecting--buying, trading, selling, trading-up, replacing good for very good, very good for excellent, excellent for mint--I have come to the conclusion that Ray may be right. (I think we can all agree he is still a lunatic.)

I am so very tired of the neverending search for upgrades and replacements and struggling up the rocky hill of MINT. From now on I am learning to appreciate the fine imperfections that come with vintage razors--spotting, brassing, whatever.

Henceforth, my private collection will consist ONLY of razors in good condition--nothing more, nothing better. (Okay...I may keep one excellent condition 1950s English Rocket FT. Sue me!)

So this apology is for you, Ray. You were right. I was wrong. Even the serious collector can [and probably should] appreciate a little tarnish now and again.

Christopher

Wow. That took guts. But I think you're right, I certainly appreciate a little tarnish now and again. Though I am hardly a serious collector I still like the history associated with a vintage razor.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
:crying: I think Christopher just bared his soul. It takes a big man to do what he just did in front of 8000 people.

Christopher,

Congratulations and welcome to the "light" side of razor collecting.

I wouldn't trade my spotted Aristocrat or ball-tip Tech; nor my dull-doored Krona; nor the faded black Army-issue bakelite Gillette; nor my brassy Knack for anything.

They work beautifully, they look great in the razor stands, and they have character. At least I don't have to worry about the "putting the first ding in the new car" syndrome. :lol:

Not only do they shave perfectly, they're valuable to me for their history, for being some of the first razors I shaved with (or first ones I found in second-hand stores/flea markets). I actually prefer the razors I've found in the real world vs. the ones I've found online.

Cool post!
Yeah, a little patina that shows that some collectible item has been "well loved" is sometimes better than having it "NOS."

Christopher,

What can I say to this other than Thank you man!!!! Other than that I am without words. An elder once told me, " the heart does not speak words, it feels" and feel it does. With all the banter here on the boards, PM's, emails and phone calls we've shared. I am honored to call you my freind.

But bro please, "(I think we can all agree he is still a lunatic.)" why did you have to bring this up again, you know I've been in theropy for years because of this. There could have been a slim chance that a newbie might not have realized this for a few days anyway...:biggrin:

Peace Brother, you are the man.....

BTW can I get all the NOS stuff you have now that you don't want it?????

The way I see it, if a razor shaves really well, it gets used, a lot, so chances are that SS with no nickel left got used every day for decades. The razor that got used once... Well it probably bloodied somebody up and they said "never again." I collect, but I collect to shave. I will not buy or keep any razor that I do not plan to shave with.

After reading this thread It is obvious that I have made the right decision to join this forum. You folks are great people!

Well said! I have a W&B straight that I paid too much for that has lots of imperfectitons but I still love the shave I get from it.

The way I see it, if a razor shaves really well, it gets used, a lot, so chances are that SS with no nickel left got used every day for decades. The razor that got used once... Well it probably bloodied somebody up and they said "never again." I collect, but I collect to shave. I will not buy or keep any razor that I do not plan to shave with.
+1 My 1952 Super Speed has brassing under the head and shaves like a dream! I guess the last guy liked it alot too!

From time to time I have thoughts about who used that particular razor before, what their lives were like, where they lived, their children, their hobbies etc. How many personal items are there left that can be passed from generation to generation and from family to family. With todays buying methods I could be using a razor owned by a tycoon or a everyday joe busting his axx at the plant. These feelings sometimes seem very real - like the prior owners were enjoying the experience with me. Call me crazy.

From time to time I have thoughts about who used that particular razor before, what their lives were like, where they lived, their children, their hobbies etc. How many personal items are there left that can be passed from generation to generation and from family to family. With todays buying methods I could be using a razor owned by a tycoon or a everyday joe busting his axx at the plant. These feelings sometimes seem very real - like the prior owners were enjoying the experience with me. Call me crazy.
+1 I know the feeling..............Not crazy!

I am a carpenter, and my tools are kind of a part of me, same as the tools of the shave. They all have a story and a life, if you know what I mean ? Anyway keep on enjoying your tools , tarnished or not !!! ............Pete

Top Bottom