What's new

My Public Apology

Well done, and if I might suggest an even more appropriate word, try "wabi-sabi". It's something collectors of Japanese watches are very familiar with.

From Wikipedia:

"Wabi now connotes rustic simplicity, freshness or quietness, and can be applied to both natural and human-made objects, or understated elegance. It can also refer to quirks and anomalies arising from the process of construction, which add uniqueness and elegance to the object. Sabi is beauty or serenity that comes with age, when the life of the object and its impermanence are evidenced in its patina and wear, or in any visible repairs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Hey Chris, I think it would be cathartic for you to put together a photo and place it here of all of those pristine beauties.

Can I get someone to second the motion....

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you're looking for a little tarnish, have I got some razors for you!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
From now on I am learning to appreciate the fine imperfections that come with vintage razors--spotting, brassing, whatever.

Even the serious collector can [and probably should] appreciate a little tarnish now and again.

Christopher

I'm guessing that the infamous "Andrea Doria" Gillette might not make your PATINA standards...This baby had TONS of Patina!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Oh great. Now all these tarnished and dinged-up razors are now going to get top dollar in BST. :rolleyes:

BTW Mike, do they know what kind of blade was in that razor? :biggrin:

Beautifully put, Christopher. Frankly, I enjoy shaving with the less attractive razors I've collected (with a couple of exceptions). Something just feels good to me about finding the utility in 50+ year old chunks of metal that show their age!

In the vintage guitar market, the "wabi-sabi" mentality has gone so far that some manufacturers are selling brand new instruments that have been distressed at the factory and made to look like they've been through decades of heavy use. They go for top dollar.

Regardless of the appearance of any tool, does it do the job well? If so, it wouldn't make much difference to me how it looks.

In the vintage guitar market, the "wabi-sabi" mentality has gone so far that some manufacturers are selling brand new instruments that have been distressed at the factory and made to look like they've been through decades of heavy use. They go for top dollar.

Regardless of the appearance of any tool, does it do the job well? If so, it wouldn't make much difference to me how it looks.

+1.

That apology took.....................

proxy.php

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The way I see it, if a razor shaves really well, it gets used, a lot, so chances are that SS with no nickel left got used every day for decades. The razor that got used once... Well it probably bloodied somebody up and they said "never again." I collect, but I collect to shave. I will not buy or keep any razor that I do not plan to shave with.

+1

Hey Chris, I think it would be cathartic for you to put together a photo and place it here of all of those pristine beauties.

Can I get someone to second the motion....

Seconded

and congrats to Christopher for the breakthrough, as they say, this is where the healing begins, or some crap like that :biggrin1:

In my Gillette collection, I have made it a point to NOT buy anything from ebay, but to only find things in local stores and what not. But I will tell you- for the persistent person, there are some gems out there, no pun intended :biggrin:

Top Bottom