What's new

My post shave razor and blade drying

Just wanted to share with you to see how common/uncommon it is. I just got into DE shaving, got an Edwin Jagger DE89. When I finish shaving, I remove the blade and blow dry it with a hair dryer. I do this to prevent micro-rust on the blade. I then polish the rest of the razor with a handkerchief. The Edwin Jagger is really shiny so I wanna keep the chrome look and this is the only way to do it.

I know a lot of people here say to just hang it up to dry.

Just wanna hear your thoughts.

I don't go as far as to pull out a hair drier but I do dab my blade dry and wipe off my razor because of the soap scum that can build up on it over time. I think it may have something to do with the water in my area, rinsing doesn't seem to get rid of soap it clings to my razor like a cloudy finish on the chrome

If I'm going to reuse a blade, I spray it with rubbing alcohol to prevent rusting. I don't clean my razor every time. Usually I'll hit it with some Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush if too much soap scum builds up.

In my Gillette's, I open the bay doors, drop the blade into a small container with isopropyl alcohol, wash the razor with hot water from my water heater, towel dry, then pick the razor with some tweezers and reload it.

I believe a similar method is deployed from Ackvil, from whom I stole the idea.

I do remove the blade- dry the razor after a rinse- gently wipe the blade on my towel and reinsert. I think the blow dryer thing is a little bit much- but whatever floats your boat!

I used to do the OCD routine to try and extend blade life ie; break down the razor and clean it after every shave and blot the blade dry on toilet paper. Then I just got sick of doing it, my blades are only 8 cents and I have over 1000 of them so it's not like I have to ration them out. Now I just rinse my razor under a hot tap, shake it out and hang it up. Funny thing is, I was getting 3-4 shaves from them and I'm still getting 3-4 shaves....

$img_4213.jpg

I take the blade out, rinse it, and just let it dry out.
A clothespin is very handy and can hold the blade.

I run the razor, blade in, under hot water then dunk it in a jar of alcohol, hang and let dry. If it is a TTO, I'll open the doors too. Between blade changes, I hit it with a toothbrush and some soap, then wipe down with a terry towel.

i just rinse the razor with blade under the hot tap, shake it and put it on the stand.

when i change blades or razors i spray the razor with dettol and clean it up.

A quick rinse of the razor, a shake or two to take care of excess water, and hang to air-dry.

Every two or three weeks, I wipe the epmty razor with a clean, dry towel to get off the worst of the soap buildup.

I used to do the OCD routine to try and extend blade life ie; break down the razor and clean it after every shave and blot the blade dry on toilet paper. Then I just got sick of doing it, my blades are only 8 cents and I have over 1000 of them so it's not like I have to ration them out. Now I just rinse my razor under a hot tap, shake it out and hang it up. Funny thing is, I was getting 3-4 shaves from them and I'm still getting 3-4 shaves....

+1

I do it simple, I dry the razor with a towel and I put the blade between 2 sheets of hygienic paper + I always have a couples of silica gel satchels in the cabinet, near my razors.

Update: No more hair dryer. But I do still polish the razor with the handkerchief, and now the blade too. The Chrome on the EJ is too beautiful !

I subscribe to the manufacturers opinion..... Modern blades are made of stainless steel alloys, and rust (micro or macro) is not an issue over their functional life. Applying pressure to their edges with anything other than a face and beard can damage the edge. So, I rinse my blades in the razor during each shave, rinse it again after each shave, and put it back on the shelf to dry naturally.

Modern blades are not made to last very long, only to be very good until they simply wear out. At 10 cents a pop, I don't see any advantage to fiddling with a blade that is only expected to last a week in a manner that might cause more harm than good. Then again, some people just enjoy a detailed, time consuming routine, even if there is no real rhyme to the reason. God bless them!

There is a false impression among some that stainless steel doesn't rust or corrode. It will, and does. I've been in water treatment for decades and have worked in product development, working with many materials in wet environments. Dissimilar metals create electrolysis. Water is a solvent. There are many types of stainless steel. The harder, more durable alloys are the least corrosion-resistent. If you've invested in a nice razor, regardless the material it's made of, never put it up wet, and especially with a blade in it. I like oils on my razors. Most of us have pre-shave oils available, so I remove the blade, dry the razor, and oil it. Oil displaces water and air, the two primary contributors to corrosion. Any machinist does the same thing with their tools. It's easy, quick, and it works. Don't worry about the blades, as the poster above notes, they're disposable and cheap. Its my razor I'm taking care of. Oh, and heat isn't just a contributor to corrosion. It's a multiplier.

Last edited:
Wow, I just rinse it and set it on the counter, seems to work fine.

Likewise, I loosen the head/open the silo doors, give it a rinse, tighten everything up and put it on the counter until the next morning. Never had any issues. I give the razor a clean when I change blades or change razor.

Blow dry the blade? Do you style it while you are at it :smile:

I just drop the blade on a towel, fold a corner over, pat it dry, then sit it on an unfolded blade paper on the counter.

Shake then dry the razor with a towel. I leave it sit it on the counter to fully dry before putting it away. I use a different razor every day so I like to let the razor I used sit over night before putting it away for a few weeks until the next time I might use it

Top Bottom