What's new

My Pops Old Strop. What Have I Got Here?

I just rediscovered my Pops old strop he'd given me many years ago. I know nothing about strops except some minimal info picked up here. I'm hoping you all could help me identify, and give me some background/history/info on it please. I don't expect it to be something amazing, I'm just curious. Unless of course it is something amazing...

Pictures
Sorry these aren't great. It seems to be in pretty good shape. Looks like 2 little cracks or cuts, and its kinda bendy in the middle. Other than that...
Leather Side:
proxy.php

Cloth Side:
proxy.php

Says at Top:
proxy.php

Says at Bottom:
proxy.php

Thanks for your help and insights guys!

Never seen one but yours look to be in good shape. Draw is the amount of friction felt when stropping a razor on it. Light draw=light friction, heavy draw=heavy friction.

Never seen one but yours look to be in good shape. Draw is the amount of friction felt when stropping a razor on it. Light draw=light friction, heavy draw=heavy friction.

Ah ok! Well since I've never stropped a razor on it, can't really say! But if I had to give my best guess, it'd be on the light side as it is pretty smooth, kinda shiny, and the leather is relatively firm, except in the middle.

Awesome! Evidence of pigskin used for strops - always wondered about this with pigskin being second behind roo for strength. Anybody volunteering to start selling them ? Boar brush + boar strop + bacon fat, just need the appropriate razor.

Awesome! Evidence of pigskin used for strops - always wondered about this with pigskin being second behind roo for strength. Anybody volunteering to start selling them ? Boar brush + boar strop + bacon fat, just need the appropriate razor.

Thats interesting that you say that. I had no idea that this was an anomaly so to speak! I wish I knew more about its age, but I can almost promise it's older than I am, 32. In fact, if I were a betting man, I'd say it's closer to 50-60 years old, since my Pop was stationed with the Navy is Southern CA around that time, and given the "Los Angeles" branding on it. And $2.50 is a pretty low price for any recent decade. A google search yielded nothing on Harris B & B Supply Co. of Los Angeles. Hmm...

Looks like piggies were not common overseas, however in the US it was well used. Sometimes not marked as such, but if it has those telltale dimples, it's pig.

This is very interesting, Thank you for posting.

I am sure someone will soon find out about the background of these strops.

Top Bottom