What's new

My pipes!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
My inherited pipe stand/humidor and pipes. The churchwarden is the one my wife gave me a couple months ago that started this particular illness, and I am enamored with it, very relaxing for me.

Can anyone shed some light on how to use the little black pillow doohickey? I believe it says Medico Humidipak or similar. Do you just soak it and throw it in the humidor on top of the tobacco?

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 25
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 23
  • pipe3.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 23
  • pipe4.jpg
    pipe4.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 23
  • pipe5.jpg
    pipe5.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 24
  • pipe6.jpg
    pipe6.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 25

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice little starter set! :biggrin1:

No idea on the pillow jobbie. I'd have probably tried what you suggest, but wouldn't know if that's correct or not. Is there a place in the jar lid for it to live?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The modern Humidipak (such as for guitar cases) is a 2 way regulator that lasts for a few months maintaining 45% humidity, increasing or decreasing humidity as required.
When they harden, you take the replaceable pack out of the bag and toss it, and replace it with a refill in the bag.
Does yours have a slit or opening on it for pack replacement?

ylekot

The modern Humidipak (such as for guitar cases) is a 2 way regulator that lasts for a few months maintaining 45% humidity, increasing or decreasing humidity as required.
When they harden, you take the replaceable pack out of the bag and toss it, and replace it with a refill in the bag.
Does yours have a slit or opening on it for pack replacement?
Nope! It's old. Vintage Medico " Humidipak" Tobacco Freshener 24 Ct Display | #3775302049 - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-medico-humidipak-tobacco-3775302049

ylekot

You got me. I don't know that I'd use it at all, there is no information on these that I can find.
If I was going to use it, I'd check what the humidity it produced was first in a container with a humidity gage.
That display pack is all the info I could find. What would you recommend with a wood topped glass jar?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You'd need a humidity gage like from a humidor that is calibrated, put them both in and see what the humidity is when the pack has been dipped.
I wouldn't want to over wet my tobacco.

Do you intend to use the jar for tobacco? It will hold a good quantity so that would be a commitment in itself. How tight is the lid?

If you want to only fill it with 2-3oz then a smaller jar with a screw top will work better as you don’t have that much airspace and the sealing will be tight.

ylekot

Do you intend to use the jar for tobacco? It will hold a good quantity so that would be a commitment in itself. How tight is the lid?

If you want to only fill it with 2-3oz then a smaller jar with a screw top will work better as you don’t have that much airspace and the sealing will be tight.
Yeah it's a bit of overkill and I'm not going to use it. It's kinda overkill all the way around for me.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have no idea about your thingy, but if the lid to that seals pretty well, I’d buy new Boveda 62% packs and toss those in there, takes all the brain damage out of the process. If it doesn’t seal very well, zip lock your tobacco with the Boveda and leave that in the jar. Anything else sounds like too much work.

The beauty of the mason jars is their stability for long periods when unopened.

ylekot

I have no idea about your thingy, but if the lid to that seals pretty well, I’d buy new Boveda 62% packs and toss those in there, takes all the brain damage out of the process. If it doesn’t seal very well, zip lock your tobacco with the Boveda and leave that in the jar. Anything else sounds like too much work.

The beauty of the mason jars is their stability for long periods when unopened.
62% thanks!! Boveda eh? Research time.....

Top Bottom