What's new

My pipe escapades

My great uncle just passed away and I inherited his corn cob pipe he had smoked since I can remember. I have decided to partake in the time honored tradition of pipe smoking in his memory. I have collected a Dr. Grabow briar, two new corn cob pipes, and I'm in the process of trying to clean up my uncles old pipe. I have found that I am more fond of the more aromatic blends like Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey and some Lane tobacco I picked up at a B&M. I also have what I believe to be a senior pipe reamer on the way for cleaning some of the old cake in my uncle's corn cob pipe. I am looking for some advice to cleaning the corn cob pipe up a little. I have already cleaned the bowl out with some cleaning solution I also got at the B&M but there is still a little cake in the bowl. Does anyone have some advice as to cleaning the rest out?

Andrew , Cake is good , it protects the pipe , but you only want just so much , too much ... is too much . I've never cleaned a Corn Cobb before , others may know better . But when I clean an estate Briar Pipe , I ream it leaving maybe and finger nail thickness or just a bit more . Then I clean it well with cotton pipe cleaners (I use rum , or pipe freshener) , stem and bowl , them put salt in , like Kosher salt or something , not small gained salt , then I take like 15 drops of rum (high power) and put in on the salt in the bowl , and the shank , and leave it 24 hours . It leaches out the old tobacco smell and taste , and sanitizes it . The salt will turn orange or brown , kill the germs (sometimes you have to repeat this) (just depends) . Then clean it well using rum on pipe cleaners (cotton only) . I may have a link I can put up , let me look ...
<i>

Aristacob on youtube is the corn cob expert , he may know more on cleaning them . Here's Tip 3 from Him ...
I have to put it in another post , this system won't allow more than one vid in a post . It's next Post ...

Welcome ! Sweet Smokes and Merry Christmas !

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the reamer, be gentle; generally you start with the reamer on thick cake before you put in other efforts, then finish with more gentle techniques (as Judah describes).

I prefer bourbon. It's inexpensive so I can use as much as I want, and any flavor/scent that it deposits goes perfectly with tobacco. For extreme cases I use Everclear (190 proof grain alcohol).

Which Lane blend(s) did you choose?

Welcome to the BL. :)

From the things I bumped into, most say that the care of a cob pipe is different than briar, so I'd definitely suggest checking into care for cobs, specifically. The only part I remember for sure was to never do a salt and alcohol treatment on them. I admit to doing minimal care and maint on my cobs, as I see them as use, abuse, love, then replace as needed.

The only other thing I would suggest is to not stock up too heavily on those aro blends till you've been sampling and trying out various blends for quite a while, since your tastes will invariably change as you move forward... (says the guy with almost a pound of Lane 1Q in the cellar that hardly ever gets touched now...). :lol:

[MENTION=4488]captaincaveman[/MENTION] - The shop owner said it was like a fuji apple and labeled the bag fuji so I am unsure of its true name.
[MENTION=57924]Shave_Rat[/MENTION] - I have tried some orlik golden sliced which I liked as well. I have an unopened tin of 10 to Midnight by Hearth and Home. The only English blend I have tried is some Peter Stokkebye Proper English. That was an acquired taste for sure and some thing I want to revisit eventually.
[MENTION=106354]Judah_Iam[/MENTION] - Thanks for the useful info. I may just leave it go and see how things progress.

Last edited:
You may want to just leave it as an heirloom at this point. Cobs are pretty fragile, so it would be unfortunate if you accidentally poked a hole in it

Andrew ,
I've had several cobs in the past ,
they're good smokers , but eventually mine bit the dust , one by one . There was a type I liked best , but I remember when I needed to replace it I couldn't find that particular one , and never looked much after .

Orlik Golden Slice (All Wise Judges Know) is Great Virginia Flake ! I love it ! As you try different brands and types your taste will change and progress , I know I Posted The One that changed my Pipe Smoking world was Savinelli English Mixture ! I still love that stuff ! But I found out 2 nights ago it's been discontinued , bummed me out ! I found 4 tins , ordered them all , and would have ordered more , still looking ! But go small in the beginning , I started with a Cavendish Blend that smelled great , but didn't taste that great and was a gooey mess . Eventually I learned to mix it with something and the Room note was still good , and it tasted better to me , not such a mess .

On reaming start small and work up (Less is Best), like trimming a moustache , you can always trim more , but you can't put it back once it's gone ! I'll look and see if I can find the cobs I liked so much and post a pic , I know they still make them . They offer straights (my favorite) , and bents .

And on the briar cleaning , Ever Clear (PGA) is tasteless , Dark Rum , Bourbon , or whatever Cleans but sort of (maybe not) Adds Flavor to the cleaning (I use higher Proof for cleaning , Hiccup !) , but it's a matter of taste . I've got a Senior Reamer , be careful ! If the cake gets uneven , or flaky , don't worry , it'll built back as you smoke it . Don't puff too fast and get it too hot , it'll burn out the pipe !

Happy Sweet Smokes and Shaves !

Here's the Type Cob I liked Best , called Spool Cobs , I think Missouri Meerschaum makes them ... I had both , but liked the straight better ...

$$_35.JPG$great-dane-spool-corn-cob-pipe-bent-195.jpg

That Fuji Apple sounds nice.

For getting into English blends, when you're ready to try again try Frog Morton Cellar. It's one of the most popular crossover blends and it's excellent, a nice English with a bourbon casing. Alternatively try some Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot (also an English with whiskey) or Boswell Northwoods (an excellent sweetened English).

Wow! Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will keep my uncle's corn cob pipe as more of an heirloom more than anything. It may get broke out in special occasions, but that's all.

As to tobaccos, I'm going to use up some of what I stored in mason jars before I try anything new. Although, Frog Morton is a blend I have been eyeing.

Last edited:
Andrew , I'm sorry about your Uncle passing , and I think it's Great that you want to carry on the Pipe Smoking tradition in his Memory , cobs or briar . So you want to Smoke a Pipe , this is a Good Video covering the basics of Pipe Smoking , how to load and pack , light , smoke , and basic cleaning , afterward ...

<em>

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just tried some Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla and its quite bland and flavorless. I also had to watch because this tobacco burns very hot and I even rehydrated it! Does anyone have any suggestions of a good OTC aromatic blend?

So I just tried some Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla and its quite bland and flavorless. I also had to watch because this tobacco burns very hot and I even rehydrated it! Does anyone have any suggestions of a good OTC aromatic blend?

Cherry blends, on the whole, tend to suck.

Your best bet with OTCs is to stick to something simple without lots of gloopy toppings. They may not be complex or anything, but Carter Hall and Prince Albert (normal variety) are the two that most seem to recommend. I think that Captain Black in the white pouch also gets some love, which would be an aromatic.

Cherry blends, on the whole, tend to suck.

Your best bet with OTCs is to stick to something simple without lots of gloopy toppings. They may not be complex or anything, but Carter Hall and Prince Albert (normal variety) are the two that most seem to recommend. I think that Captain Black in the white pouch also gets some love, which would be an aromatic.

I have tried a lot of cherry blends, and yeah, the vast majority just suck. Cult Blood Red Moon is the best one I've tried, and even that one gets to be too much after half a bowl.

I would also not call Carter Hall nor Prince Albert an aro, if you are looking for more of a sweeter type smoke. While they aren't quite straight burley or VA or such, they are more tobacco than anything in flavor.

I would suggest Sir Walter Raleigh for an OTC aro that isn't wet and goopy, doesn't cloy on the palate, and is definitely an aromatic. It won't try to bite as bad or fast as say anything from Borkum Riff will, but you still need to be gentle on the sips while smoking it.

By cherry standards, I find PA Cherry Vanilla relatively decent. Have you tried smoking it dry? I've smoked a few bowls of it and it didn't burn hot for me at all.

I have tried a lot of cherry blends, and yeah, the vast majority just suck. Cult Blood Red Moon is the best one I've tried, and even that one gets to be too much after half a bowl.

I would also not call Carter Hall nor Prince Albert an aro, if you are looking for more of a sweeter type smoke. While they aren't quite straight burley or VA or such, they are more tobacco than anything in flavor.

I would suggest Sir Walter Raleigh for an OTC aro that isn't wet and goopy, doesn't cloy on the palate, and is definitely an aromatic. It won't try to bite as bad or fast as say anything from Borkum Riff will, but you still need to be gentle on the sips while smoking it.

I just think that most OTC aros are unforgiving to all but the grizzled old codgers. He's probably better off starting with burley blends until moving on to the non OTC blends.

I made a Smoking Pipes order and then went out to get some random OTC aromatics from a nearby tobacco store. If not for the Smoking Pipes order, I probably wouldn't have gotten hooked on pipes. I still have nightmares over the tongue burn from stuff like Captain Black Cherry.

I just think that most OTC aros are unforgiving to all but the grizzled old codgers. He's probably better off starting with burley blends until moving on to the non OTC blends.

I made a Smoking Pipes order and then went out to get some random OTC aromatics from a nearby tobacco store. If not for the Smoking Pipes order, I probably wouldn't have gotten hooked on pipes. I still have nightmares over the tongue burn from stuff like Captain Black Cherry.

Yeah, most OTC aros are rough on the beginner. I found the SRW aro (which is a burley blend aro), to be a lot mellower and easier. :)

Top Bottom