What's new

My Personna Lab Blue vs Astra SP Review

Yeah they did. Post 2016. The blade is a lot sharper. Derby was always known for its smoothness but was always looked at as being a rather dull blade. But they are now pretty sharp. About the same as Personna Lab Blue and even smoother than before. I have no idea how they did it. I was extremely surprised when I tried it out. Do give it a try and let us know what you think. Many people have tried it and have started liking it a lot.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Indeed, the picture with horizontal instead of vertical, and there are words "New Technology" on it should be the new version. It seems the new Derby Extra blue or green are thinner than the old one.
The old and new seems all fine to me, so the blue in half price then the green... a nice deal!

Indeed, the picture with horizontal instead of vertical, and there are words "New Technology" on it should be the new version. It seems the new Derby Extra blue or green are thinner than the old one.
The old and new seems all fine to me, so the blue in half price then the green... a nice deal!
Yup definitely thinner than before.

Forget to say, while trying so many blades, when back to ASTRA SP, I am always amazed with it.
Personna LAB blue is having so many versions and packages, which are confusing to me.
The wrapper with actual blue, the white wrapper with laser etching or white paper with ink etching.
Not mention there are blue package or package with Comfort Coating wording on it....
I can't distinguish the manufacturing date or even when I purchase them from Amazon I might got some surprise...

There was a thread somewhere recently regarding the Astra SP vs SS, and a majority of people who chimed in seemed to prefer the SS based on the fact that it was sharper out of the gate. Not necessarily a good thing for everybody, but it was interesting none the less.

In a Slim Ajustable, I seemed to like Balzona, Lab Blue, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, and some other odds and ends. I'm stubborn and I'm trying to avoid giving Gillette any more business after being abused for so long, so I lean towards Bolzano and Personna Lab Blue.

Now I'm using a Timeless razor, and have to figure out which blades are going to work in it! Lots of fun.

I have and use both of these blades. Both are great, but if I want comfortable no nonsense shave, the SP’s have always been quite reliable. That’s not to say the blues aren’t. I just find the SP’s have always been a comfortable performer.

Hi Guys.

Wonderful site this is. I've learned a lot and I've found people whom I can speak to about shaving gear and stuff. Really enjoying my daily evening shave thanks to some great advise I received from members here.

I spent a few years and quite a bit of money trying out different razors and blades, just to find the perfect combination that suits my course beard type and sensitive skin around my neck area. I have been able to sell of those razors that don't work for me, so all is good.

My go to razor for a while has been the Edwin Jagger DE89. As for blades, the Personna Lab Blue and Astra SP have always worked best for me.
I recently bid some sort of a comparison between these 2 blades. And here is what I have to share, based on my personal experience with these blades.

Personna Lab Blue - First 3 shaves and these are sharp and very very smooth. I feel it starting to dull on my 4 shave, but the blade remains smooth. The blade only lasted 5 shaves. Not sharp. I had to go over a few areas multiple times. But still maintained it's smoothness throughout my 5th shave.

Astra SP - First 3 shaves, this blade was much sharper than the Personna. But slightly less smooth. During my 4th shave, the blade remained sharp but somehow it felt as smooth as the Personna. It was the same during my 5th shave. Still sharp and Personna smooth. Somehow it increased in smoothness. By the time I was finishing my 6th shave, I could feel the blade start to dull and I had to do some additional clean up in certain areas, but still had no real problems cutting. Very slight tugging. The blade remained very smooth. I could stretch it to 7 but decided that 6 was good enough.

I did this comparison no less than 4 times over the last couple of months and got the same results. Happy to say that Astra SP is my favourite and works best for me and they are a lot cheaper than Personna Lab Blue blades here in Malaysia. The Personna is a close 2nd.

Feel free to share some thoughts.

Have a good day!

Mark
proxy.php
proxy.php

Great pic. Edwin Jagger has their heads perfected for a great shave.!

Great pic. Edwin Jagger has their heads perfected for a great shave.!
Totally agree. I have also been using my Merkur 34C a lot off late. Another great razor. Slightly more aggressive and efficient than the DE89. I get much better shaves with it.

Top Bottom