What's new

My pen almost caused an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let a woman next to me use my Mont Blanc RB to fill out her customs form on my last flight and about had a heart attack with the pushing and twisting she did to try and uncap it. I finally took it away and did it for her, I held onto the cap :biggrin1:

A bit harsh...to say this person was rude is an understatment. Taking a pen from on a desk is one thing...to take something out of ones pocket is an invasion of ones personal space and privacy. I would not dream of taking something from someones desk...and to take it from ones pocket.... really rude.

I would not dream of taking something from someones desk...
I wish there were more people like you.

Within the last few months I had someone come into my cubicle and start opening up drawers and rummaging around looking for a pen. At no point was I, sitting in shock as this was going on, asked if I had a pen. When I regained my composure I quickly opened a drawer, grabbed a pen and asked if this is what they were looking for. Every workplace is different in terms of the expectations of privacy one has so I should add some context here, this behaviour was about a 8 out of 10 on the crazy scale. A 10 out of 10 would have been the aforementioned snagging of a pen from my own shirt pocket.

I now keep a fountain pen at work. Invariably, almost everyone thinks they are a master without ever having held one. The number of times I've watched someone scratch out something with way too much pressure before I could stop them, well, more than once.

Here's what I do, and what I'm going to try to get better at:
-I just use an Al-star or safari at work. I can hear people groaning, but they're little workhorses for me and the nibs are cheap and easily replaced. If someone really trashes my nib on me before I can stop them, I'm only out a $13 nib. I keep a 51 on my desk at home and a couple others tucked away.

-As of the New Year I'm going to make sure there's always a big cup of ballpoints on my desk for people to use when they come in.

TOBS. I spent too many years in the ARMY...if it's not yours keep your hands off, if it laying there unattended the owner will come back looking for it, if you do not know how to use it read the manual, ask for help or keep your hands off. The person who grabbed the FP was a real piece of work....she used and abused lots of folks at work, civilian employer, til I spoke up and put her in her place. You do rude, stupid stuff I'll call you on it....and I expect the same done to me if I do rude, stupid stuff.

I would not dream of taking something from someones desk...and to take it from ones pocket.... really rude.
I agree completely, and I would have been upset as well. Taking something from someones desk without asking permission is simply not done. Grabbing something from someones shirt pocket is an outright insult.

My boss tried to use my VP upside down :/ was not a happy person that day. On the other hand our main supplier used my pen to write a quick note and it made her writing looking amazing - million times better than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom