What's new

My Parker Variant is misaligned

Guys, thanks for all the advice and suggestions, most appreciated!

I just ordered a Progress and it'll be here tomorrow, and I ordered a replacement Progress cap to try out as well. At best, the replacement cap will resolve the issue. At the worst, well, I'll have a Progress and a Variant, that's all.

I just ordered a Progress and it'll be here tomorrow, and I ordered a replacement Progress cap to try out as well. At best, the replacement cap will resolve the issue. At the worst, well, I'll have a Progress and a Variant, that's all.
I think you will find the original Variant cap may be the problem and the threaded post was eccentric. Also, from what I have read, the Merkur cap is a lower profile and makes the Variant easier to use under the nose. You will enjoy using the Progress; the weight and balance is bettter and it has that iconic 60s' bakerlite knob.
The other thought I had was maybe the base plate on the Variant was not centering correctly due to differing friction in the spring recess and a few drops of machine oil may get it moving freely. Try a couple of drops of machine oil down the centre.

I think you will find the original Variant cap may be the problem and the threaded post was eccentric. Also, from what I have read, the Merkur cap is a lower profile and makes the Variant easier to use under the nose. You will enjoy using the Progress; the weight and balance is bettter and it has that iconic 60s' bakerlite knob.
The other thought I had was maybe the base plate on the Variant was not centering correctly due to differing friction in the spring recess and a few drops of machine oil may get it moving freely. Try a couple of drops of machine oil down the centre.
That's good to know, thanks. Follow-up: I reached out to the third-party vendor I bought the razor from through Amazon, and he has agreed to send me a replacement razor! So I'll decide which one I like best, as I have until January to return the Progress. Odds are, I'll probably keep them both!

On a side note, the replacement Progress cap I ordered cost $7.99, and it cost me that much in shipping, and now I won't even need it. Go figure.

That's good to know, thanks. Follow-up: I reached out to the third-party vendor I bought the razor from through Amazon, and he has agreed to send me a replacement razor! So I'll decide which one I like best, as I have until January to return the Progress. Odds are, I'll probably keep them both!

On a side note, the replacement Progress cap I ordered cost $7.99, and it cost me that much in shipping, and now I won't even need it. Go figure.
Do a search on „Zamak rot“ I never experienced it but once it starts it is quickly over. Having such an essential part at home gives peace of mind. I might get an extra Progress down the road just in case.

Remember that the Progress cap must be held, and the blade centered against the baseplate, as you tighten the top cap.

I think that problem (loose tolerance of the top cap's shaft, in the top of the handle) has been solved in the Variant. Clearly, there are other things that can go wrong with the new design.<G>

. Charles

Remember that the Progress cap must be held, and the blade centered against the baseplate, as you tighten the top cap.

I think that problem (loose tolerance of the top cap's shaft, in the top of the handle) has been solved in the Variant. Clearly, there are other things that can go wrong with the new design.<G>

. Charles
So in other words, same old, same old. Guess I’ll find out when I shave with the Progress for the first time tomorrow; I wanted to wait a couple of days to build up some growth first.

On another front, the vendor who’s replacing the razor told me not to send the other one back, so should I destroy it, give it away to someone here? My personal ethics won’t allow me to keep both, otherwise what was the point of requesting a replacement in the first place?

So in other words, same old, same old. Guess I’ll find out when I shave with the Progress for the first time tomorrow; I wanted to wait a couple of days to build up some growth first.

On another front, the vendor who’s replacing the razor told me not to send the other one back, so should I destroy it, give it away to someone here? My personal ethics won’t allow me to keep both, otherwise what was the point of requesting a replacement in the first place?
I realize it wont shave properly, but I'm interested in the design of the Variant. I'd be interested in disassembling it & doing some research.

Well, I finally had my first shave with my new Long Handle Progress. Blade: Astra SP, Proraso Red Pre-Shave Cream, and I tried Gillette Planet Kind Shave Cream.

The shave itself was great, nearly identical to shaving with my Variant, and the handle's lack of knurling didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but I was aware of it. One small thing I noticed, though: I had to turn up the aggressiveness on the Progress more to get the same kind of shave I got with the Variant. With that, I shaved at 2.5-3, but I had to go up a half notch on the Progress. Not a huge difference, but interesting.

As for the Planet Kind Shave Cream: very slick and smooth shave, but NO protection! I didn't notice it until five minutes after shaving and my face was very irritated! Into the bin it goes! Still, I was curious and I had to know, but never again! It's back to TOBS Eton College!

Reactions: nav
Well, I finally had my first shave with my new Long Handle Progress. Blade: Astra SP, Proraso Red Pre-Shave Cream, and I tried Gillette Planet Kind Shave Cream.

The shave itself was great, nearly identical to shaving with my Variant, and the handle's lack of knurling didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but I was aware of it. One small thing I noticed, though: I had to turn up the aggressiveness on the Progress more to get the same kind of shave I got with the Variant. With that, I shaved at 2.5-3, but I had to go up a half notch on the Progress. Not a huge difference, but interesting.

As for the Planet Kind Shave Cream: very slick and smooth shave, but NO protection! I didn't notice it until five minutes after shaving and my face was very irritated! Into the bin it goes! Still, I was curious and I had to know, but never again! It's back to TOBS Eton College!

Correct.
I had mentioned this in post #20.
The progress is slightly less aggressive, by about a half setting.

But I also feel the progress shaves much better. The variant may have been modeled after the progress but I found the variant didn't nail the geometry of the progress.

Correct.
I had mentioned this in post #20.
The progress is slightly less aggressive, by about a half setting.

But I also feel the progress shaves much better. The variant may have been modeled after the progress but I found the variant didn't nail the geometry of the progress.
Something else that's interesting: I received my replacement razor yesterday, and I happened to notice something, the bottom of the adjustment knob says "India". My old Variant doesn't have that, it's blank. Does that mean anything?

The blade exposure is even on both sides now, BTW.

Something else that's interesting: I received my replacement razor yesterday, and I happened to notice something, the bottom of the adjustment knob says "India". My old Variant doesn't have that, it's blank. Does that mean anything?

The blade exposure is even on both sides now, BTW.

Nah, they used to stamp India on the base plate, then blank for a while and now bottom of the handle.

I've had 4 variants and all had misalignment issues.

I had tried a friend's one without the issue and the shave was good but not like the progress. I was a little surprised given how the variant is a blatant ripoff of the progress design.

I've had the same issue with my Parker Variant. Blade exposure is definitely more on one side than the other. I've just gotten used to using one side for the whole shave and then I flip the blade around for another shave for the next day. I like the Variant but I'm considering the Merkur Progress as well. I think it's a manufacturing issue with the Variant. I've heard it from some others as well.

I've had the same issue with my Parker Variant. Blade exposure is definitely more on one side than the other. I've just gotten used to using one side for the whole shave and then I flip the blade around for another shave for the next day. I like the Variant but I'm considering the Merkur Progress as well. I think it's a manufacturing issue with the Variant. I've heard it from some others as well.

I've had 4 variants now and all had the same issue. I've totally given up on it.

Instead, I bought a second progress a while back as a back-up...the only razor for which I have a back-up!

I've had 4 variants now and all had the same issue. I've totally given up on it.

Instead, I bought a second progress a while back as a back-up...the only razor for which I have a back-up!
Did Parker not stand behind their product? I guess I'm confused as to why you would buy a defective razor four times and not allow Parker to make it right. I've dealt with them and they were very accomodating.

Did Parker not stand behind their product? I guess I'm confused as to why you would buy a defective razor four times and not allow Parker to make it right. I've dealt with them and they were very accomodating.

Twice was directly from Parker and they refunded the full amount upon return of the razors.

The other two times was on secondary market. One seller refunded, the other did not.

Waste of time and effort for a 100% defect rate.

In any case, I much prefer the look and feel of the progress.

Twice was directly from Parker and they refunded the full amount upon return of the razors.

The other two times was on secondary market. One seller refunded, the other did not.

Waste of time and effort for a 100% defect rate.

In any case, I much prefer the look and feel of the progress.
Unbelievable! Well you certainly tried. I keep hearing good things about the Progress so that one is going on the short list. Thanks!

Top Bottom