What's new

My Parker Variant .02¢ Worth Review

I agree with GVW755's assessment of the Variant vs. Gillette adjustables. I have a Slim, Super 84, and Super 109 with plastic base. I still like the Gillettes and will keep them all. The Parker is a different experience and i do slightly prefer the Variant. The analog adjustability and weight of the Parker make it a great shaver. The TTO convenience and slimmer head, and lightweight maneuverability of the Gillettes make them great shavers too.

As I mentioned earlier, I am on my third Parker Variant because of defects with the first two. All three had different alignments vis-a-vis the adjustment dial. The first one lined up with "1" when tightened. The second on lined up at "5." The third one lines up at "+." My point is that questions like "what setting on the Variant matches what setting on my Progress" are irrelevant because each Variant will align differently. I suspect that Parker manufacturing is manually cutting the sleeve for each from a long tube rather than machining pre-cut sleeves. Then they are cutting the top-cap screw to match the sleeve. Or maybe cutting the top-cap screw and then matching the sleeve. Regardless, there is variability between each razor. The top caps cannot be used with different razors because of this manual process. For instance, I could not swap the top caps from my first and second razor, or after returning the first razor, I could not swap the top caps between the second and third razor.

Just saw a used, black handle Variant go for $125 on eBay 15-bid auction today. No joke. Paint was coming off handle also. Do people think there won't be any more Variants produced? Or are they just willing to pay $65 more to not wait?

Just saw a used, black handle Variant go for $125 on eBay 15-bid auction today. No joke. Paint was coming off handle also. Do people think there won't be any more Variants produced? Or are they just willing to pay $65 more to not wait?
with the black wearing off, maybe they think they are getting a vintage Variant.

I’ve had mine for about a month with the satin finish. The finish looks good so far. I’m really liking this razor a lot. I have other adjustables (slim and a fat boy), but usually stick to an open comb non adjustable.
It took me a couple of shaves to get the hang of this razor and I think I’m still learning what it can do but I’m getting very good shaves from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAZOR REVIEW: Parker

RAZOR NAME: Variant Adjustable Safety Razor

COST: $57.00 (or there about)

SPECS:
Weight- 4 oz.
Handle Length- 3 1/2" (knurled Design)
Overall Length- 4"
Material- Brass, Satin Chrome Finish
Country of Manufacture- India

ABOUT: According to their website (so it must be true...), Parker Safety Razor products are hand crafted and undergo extensive engineering and quality testing. A family-owned business, Parker Safety Razor produces products that are a reflection of their commitment to excellence and value. Well, there you have it. They also claim to have been around since 1973. With that, I assume these are not the same people who make pens, but I could be wrong. If they did, they could combine the two, at which point my friend Ron would say, "Is it a pen that shaves, or a razor that writes?".

THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY:

GOOD-
As the owner of 4 double edge safety razors, and one face, I've got to say, this shaver has climbed to the top of my favorite razor list. I'm not sure if that's because it was the last one I purchased, or because I'm really digging this on-the-fly adjustable, super heavyweight, feedback singing, instrument of shavology.

The adjustment range is from 1 to 5, and NOT 1 to 11, as others might suggest if you read their reviews. Yes, you can give it one more 180 degree turn before it completely dismantles the head, but according to the directions, that's incorrect usage, and subject to jail time if you're caught. I've only gone up to 2.5, and have not had the inclination or need to take off more skin, at a higher level, so I'm not sure why someone would want to "turn it up to 11". What I really like about the adjuster, is that it seems really tight, and I don't have to worry about it moving out of adjustment once I've selected a number.

Weighing in at 4 oz, compared to my other razors, it felt more like 4 lbs. Now that I'm used to the weight, I really like the heft. There is no need to apply any pressure, just drive it across your face, and let it do its thing. The sound feedback this razor gives is quite amazing! I never thought I could play a tune while shaving, but this brass made instrument is a true challenger to the trumpet I once played poorly in middle school.

As far as post-shave results, this is a really good slicer, leaving me with a very smooth finish. It's also probably why I'm having such a hard time taking it out of rotation, and allowing the others to play. I've also experienced no nicks as of yet, and have been using this razor for several weeks now. The knurled handle is a nice touch, eliminating the need for a kung fu-style grip. The price-point on this adjustable razor is below most other adjustable styles I've seen on various websites. This makes it a really reasonable purchase if you're looking to dive into the adjustable razor end of the pool.

BAD-
This razor is (or was) available with a black finish on the handle, but apparently there have been issues with the finish coming off in short order. Those who have suffered such sorrow have said that Parker has been upstanding in replacing those, and have also gone back to correct the application process so as to eliminate any future unhappy customers. I have to say that thus far, my satin finished gem looks no less for wear. The other bad of this razor seems to be its current state of unavailability to the consumer wishing to lay down cash for said razor. I can only assume this is in direct correlation to the good I mentioned earlier.

UGLY-
The jury is still out on this satin finish look. Only time will tell if the wear and tear of periodic whisker removal causes unsightly blemishes. I do know that the shiny chrome finishes of my 2 year old Edwin Jagger's make me beam with pride, wanting to put them on display for friends and family. My wife won't let me however, so they stay in near the bathroom sink. Hopefully, that same pride will be felt with my new Parker Variant in several years. If not, I just might send it off for a custom two-tone paint job. If you're a microscopic inspector, you'll probably find slight imperfections when compared to others in the shave den. That being said, the shave more than makes up for anything unsightly.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely no buyers remorse here! This was a purchase I'm very satisfied with, and would buy again.
Thanks for that fine review. I can report with some confidence that the Parker that makes razors in India has nothing whatever to do with the Parker Pen Company, as I know someone whose father was CEO of the latter many years ago. The pen maker, which was as American as can be, was long ago swallowed up in the corporate acquisition games. In fact, it was owned for a time by -- Gillette(!) -- but no longer, I believe.

I own far too many razors. I’d thought very little of Parker DE’s until I purchased the Variant.

I know there have been some issues with wearing of the applied coating. Had that happened to me, I’d be a little bitter too.

Fortunately mine is perfect. If I could bear to sell my other razors (60+ and counting) and trim it to 2, it’d be the Variant and my Rockwell 6S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of the later Variants and along with great reviews in this thread I am going to add my $0.02 worth. Mine gets top marks for looks. I found '5' to be my optimum setting but unfortunately the shave is just not as close as it should/ could be. Better than the Slim but not in the league of the Futur

I just used my Variant tonight on setting 3.5. This has probably became my second favorite razor, only behind my ATT R1. These are the only two razors I own that I can get a BBS shave with no effort and zero irritation. I could probably sell all my other razors and just keep the ATT and the Variant and be happy with that.

I shave every day, and every day since Christmas except one I've used my satin finish Parker Variant. It shaves that well, but has plating issues.

I bought mine from Maggard Razors, and when I contacted them about the plating they had the Parker Co. contact me directly. Parker swapped me for a new razor, but the new one has a small blemish on the top plate. I don't really care, given the shaves I get.

I like aggressive razors: my other two razors are a Maggard slant and a Fatip piccolo. So my normal setting for the Variant is 3-4. But it's a real joy to be able to get a great a BBS shave on a setting of 2. Today I got a great shave using a Palmolive stick and the Variant, loaded with an Astra blade on its fourth shave. When it comes to results, this razor is the real deal.
15223801042221947234104.jpg

I agree with you davidepeden, the razor performs exceptionally well, but the finish sucks. I eventually had mine painted. Once it returned to me, I made a few more modifications, and am happy with it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 79
I just used my Variant tonight on setting 3.5. This has probably became my second favorite razor, only behind my ATT R1. These are the only two razors I own that I can get a BBS shave with no effort and zero irritation. I could probably sell all my other razors and just keep the ATT and the Variant and be happy with that.

Likewise. These are my two main DE razors as well. The only other razor that gets as much love is my disposable straight. Both are great DEs.

I agree with you davidepeden, the razor performs exceptionally well, but the finish sucks. I eventually had mine painted. Once it returned to me, I made a few more modifications, and am happy with it.

Very nice. May I ask who did the paint for you? North shore or maybe Delta Echo?

Top Bottom