What's new

My other Journal Page is about Fatips.

The surgery went very well. I'm back home now. I opted to stay awake through the surgery. That's the way to go. It was fun joking with the surgeon and OR techs. The surgeon said the mass he removed was the size of a billiard ball. They have a tradition of having the patient name it. I obliged and named it nobody. I did that because that nobody guy is often times at the center of a lot of stuff. If you've had room mates , or been around kids, you know what I mean. I thought it an apt name.

Cheers
Rave
Popular ghost in the Family Circus comic strip as well

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Happy to hear Rave.

I bet you were unaware it was in a movie too.

View attachment 1158105
The surgeon mentioned this movie in response lol. A little known fact is that Henry Fonda is West Frisian Dutch like my family. The Frisians also settled along the coast line of Kent, East Anglia, and Yorkshire. Frzinghall and Frieston in the UK are Frisian names. Studies have found the DNA of people tested in central England to be indistinguishable from that of the Frisians. They also settled as far north as River Forth in Scotland. Seems like the world is small and we are all related. I'm rambling because I'm a tad high lol.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The surgeon mentioned this movie in response lol. A little known fact is that Henry Fonda is West Frisian Dutch like my family. The Frisians also settled along the coast line of Kent, East Anglia, and Yorkshire. Frzinghall and Frieston in the UK are Frisian names. Studies have found the DNA of people tested in central England to be indistinguishable from that of the Frisians. They also settled as far north as River Forth in Scotland. Seems like the world is small and we are all related. I'm rambling because I'm a tad high lol.

Interesting. I did some reading about surnames from the Wikipedia Surname Search a few months ago. My ancestry is Scottish and European, as well as my nephews. His wife is full blooded Dane. What I found interesting was, searching various surnames from family names, it seems that the farther back in time I went, the closer to the Caucasus Mountains I got with the oldest names coming from the western slope of the mountains, even the Scottish names but that was thousands of years ago.

I also discovered something interesting and related when I watched this video.

Thats the Norse Dark Folk band Heilung and the video is shot in France at Les Menhirs de Monteneuf.

"Norupo is composed around the ancient runic poem with the name 'The Norwegian Rune Poem," the band explain. "The poem was preserved in a 17th-century copy of a now lost 13th-century manuscript and gives a complete description of all sixteen runes of the younger Futhark."
Link.

The interesting bit is that site and the Menhirs were discovered in 1976 but the entire site wasnt fully excavated until 1996. They did carbon dating on camp fires at the site and found it was 4500 years old. During the Viking Age, the French Christians decided to abolish Paganism and buried that site and it went undiscovered for all those years.

I had a conversation with a full blooded Dutch friend about this a while back. He had never watched the series Vikings and had no idea that, for the most part, its historically accurate. When I suggested he watch it because those were his ancestors, he was stunned. If you go back far enough in time, we are all related in one way or another.

The surgery went very well. I'm back home now. I opted to stay awake through the surgery. That's the way to go. It was fun joking with the surgeon and OR techs. The surgeon said the mass he removed was the size of a billiard ball. They have a tradition of having the patient name it. I obliged and named it nobody. I did that because that nobody guy is often times at the center of a lot of stuff. If you've had room mates , or been around kids, you know what I mean. I thought it an apt name.

Cheers
Rave
Great stuff, Rave. :thumbup:

Remember to take care of yourself till you're fully healed. :wink2:

Cheers
Rave
Glad your back. Stay well Rave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You might need something more than a Merkur 33C when you feel like dragging a brush and razor across your face next time. Make it a Guy FOCS day!

Happy healing, Raven!

If you go back far enough in time, we are all related in one way or another.

Indeed we are. Amazing when you really think about it.

1600796009365.png

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Merkur 33c
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Fine Classic Shaving Brush 20mm
Soap: MdC Vetyver
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambra (Splash)
023_42.jpg

Day two of this week's shave was fun. They always are trying to shave on codeine. I will have to admit, damn I'm good! :w00t:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Interesting. I did some reading about surnames from the Wikipedia Surname Search a few months ago. My ancestry is Scottish and European, as well as my nephews. His wife is full blooded Dane. What I found interesting was, searching various surnames from family names, it seems that the farther back in time I went, the closer to the Caucasus Mountains I got with the oldest names coming from the western slope of the mountains, even the Scottish names but that was thousands of years ago.

I also discovered something interesting and related when I watched this video.

Thats the Norse Dark Folk band Heilung and the video is shot in France at Les Menhirs de Monteneuf.

"Norupo is composed around the ancient runic poem with the name 'The Norwegian Rune Poem," the band explain. "The poem was preserved in a 17th-century copy of a now lost 13th-century manuscript and gives a complete description of all sixteen runes of the younger Futhark."
Link.

The interesting bit is that site and the Menhirs were discovered in 1976 but the entire site wasnt fully excavated until 1996. They did carbon dating on camp fires at the site and found it was 4500 years old. During the Viking Age, the French Christians decided to abolish Paganism and buried that site and it went undiscovered for all those years.

I had a conversation with a full blooded Dutch friend about this a while back. He had never watched the series Vikings and had no idea that, for the most part, its historically accurate. When I suggested he watch it because those were his ancestors, he was stunned. If you go back far enough in time, we are all related in one way or another.

Mike I love that band!

Indeed we are. Amazing when you really think about it.

View attachment 1158554

The origin of Frisii people has an interesting twist. Alexander the Great had a Indian General in his army. The General's name was Frisa. He defected with his men from Macedonia, and sailed to the North Western Coast of Europe (Netherlands, North West Germany, and Denmark) where they settled. Their descendants gave the Romans a very hard time, and later they became mercenaries for the Romans. Perhaps, because they were trained warriors in Indo-Greek Hellenistic traditions that the Romans were unable to defeat them? The Frisian language is the closest language to English that there is. Dutch is like someone threw German and English into a blender. They say English is a Indo-European Language. Perhaps, this might in part be due to the origin of Frisii? Willem, The King of the Netherlands, brother is curiously named Frisa. If this origin story of the Frisian Tribe is true Betsy DeVos would have a heart attack. Luckily she's not that big on education for her own sake lol.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Probably mandatory for someone in her position.
Ha, ha, ha, that's funny. My mom is her neighbor in Holland Michigan. This is Betsy DeVos's house on Lake Michigan. She proudly flies the Friesland Flag under the American flag, and above the Michigan State flag. Next time they have a party, I should go knock on the door and tell her I have traditional Subji and Rice to share. :001_smile
043.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You might like Wardruna too. I first heard them, and this song, in Vikings.

That would have been awesome to see and hear live.

Interesting fact, to me anyway :001_tongu, is that the guy that did the musical score for Vikings and started my journey into this kind of music is Trevor Morris, also a familial name, from right here in London Ontario.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Me too. I can listen to them in the background all day. Good reading here and here.

Their only North American tour stop is here...

Heilung's only North American tour stop will be at Red Rocks - https://www.9news.com/article/entertainment/music/colorado-music/heilung-colorado-tour/73-ee7de3a5-8655-45d8-bcc6-d4925398df12

Seeing them live would be an experience.
Well it's close by to me, and Red Rocks is one of the most magical venues on earth to see a band. If you ever want to see them here, you don't have to worry about a bed and breakfast. We've got you covered, plus we'll go as well! That way you don't have to worry about a ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom