What's new

My OTHER Browning.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
When it comes to 9mm handguns one that has always been among my favorites is the Browning HiPower, the FN P-35. I had several HPs, one Canadian, two US and a Belgian that certainly looked like it had been through several wars. They are all gone now but I still have three of the clones; an FEG PJK 9HP and FM Model M-95 that are virtually identical even to being able to swap in Browning parts, and an ARCUS that is more an homage than a clone.

A Browning Browning:
proxy.php

the FEG PJK 9HP:
proxy.php

the FM Model M-95:
proxy.php

and the Arcus:
proxy.php

The Browning design was really amazing and is still competitive with anything being made today. It's slim, a very natural pointer, double stack high round count 9mm that is super reliable, super accurate and simply looks like a handgun should.

But this thread isn't about the HiPower but rather the short lived Browning BDM (Browning Dual Mode). It was made for less than a decade and unfortunately came out right as the first US magazine ban went into effect. Yet even today when I carry a Browning it will most often be my BDM.

Why?

Because!

Now that I can legally use my higher capacity magazines and put my 10 round ones off to the side it makes a nice slim 15 + 1 package. Here it is compared to the P225 that I had which was only a single stack 8 + 1 set up.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

BUT Wait, there's MORE:

Remember this is the Browning Dual Mode. It can be either a DAO revolver like pistol or a traditional DA/SA one simply based on the position of a switch.

proxy.php

proxy.php

As shown in the top image above it is a DA/SA "P" pistol but turn the round section so that the slot is in the down "R" position and it becomes a DAO Revolver mode pistol. Remember this was introduced at the time police departments were transitioning from revolvers to the new and unproven semi-automatics so this allowed departments to let those officers most comfortable with a long double action trigger pull to switch and still keep the same feel and drill.

The BDM conceals easily, points naturally, shoots accurately, has a super easy lock the slide back and turn a lever field strip routine, is flexible so that the action matches what ever else I happen to be carrying and has been totally reliable for almost three decades now.

That is quite nice. I had not heard of that DM before now, thanks for sharing. I prefer the look of the Browning over the Arcus, though I'm not sure what's different other than the frame is a little longer on the Browning.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I was able to briefly shoot a custom Hi-Power once. It was nearly a religious experience.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
See, I never found the HiPower to be really exceptional; they were and the ones I still have are, very good but never made it into the exceptional column. The stock triggers are somewhat gritty and the magazine safety annoying but acceptable and the early safety/decockers were too small and also pretty easy to accidentally turn on or off.

They were and are natural pointers but then so are quite a few other pistols and almost all revolvers. They are slim and pretty easy to conceal but again, there are other handguns that are also pretty easy to conceal. Some of the early spur hammers could really bite the webbing of my hand. The later but short lived BDM and the Beretta made BDA both showed all the nice characteristics and did not have most of the annoying ones (still have a mag safety).

But at the time I was buying HPs they were not all that popular and old fashioned and not cool guns and so were also ones I could afford.

At the 1980s and 1990s street prices they were exceptional I guess.

Inglis company in Canada made the high power for the wartime effort. They are affectionately known among Canadian shooters as " washing machines". (Inglis company made washing machines)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The custom HP I shot was a high end make over, smooth crisp trigger, no mag disconnect, everything professionally fitted and finished, etc..

I carried a bonafide FN High Power with 9mm NATO stamped on the chamber hood for a few years back in the day. It never jammed once and like an idiot I sold it. It had been painted a matte black. I put in an extra power recoil spring in it and shot lots of +p+ in it.

Top Bottom