What's new

My other birthday.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So, in mid May of 2006, I found out I needed to get my mitral valve replaced. Dr let me pick the date. I noticed that his calendar was open on June 6, 2006, so I picked that. It was wide open because of the number of the beast, I found out later. Many complications later, I get out of the hospital 12 days later instead of the 3 they figured.
So I've always celebrated my birthday in my heart on the 6th, instead of the actual day, the 2nd of June, ever since my heart surgery.
Not a surgery I ever hope to repeat. Honestly, I think I would pass on it. Some lessons you only need to learn once! Lol, thanks for listening my friends here on B&B!
Sincerely, Dave: the man with a farmer tan!

FarmerTan

Happy heart day.
Thank you. There is no question, at all, that I have had at least 12 extra years with my wife and 19 year old man son. At 57 it's probably asking too much to get another 19, but 12 would be nice.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow. And I thought I had problems with my little high blood pressure thing.

Hang on...you'll get another 25-30 years or better. A lot of healing is in your mind.

Dear God...please heal Dave. Thank you.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We are glad that you are still here to celebrate your birthday. Modern medicine is wonderful. We are happy that you are here, I can only imagine how your family feels. Happy both Birthdays.

FarmerTan

Insomnia! Sometimes it (rarely) hits, but I have no question it was for the wonderful reason of reading all y'all's comments, along with a prayer!

It's been a rough year, I can't lie. But God's grace has been more than sufficient. Wrapping my head around watching "Blue Bloods" reruns instead of visiting my clients in parking lots, shelters and drug houses for the foreseeable future has been difficult, but you guys have been a huge blessing, right behind my family and church.

My son has decided I need to do podcasts, telling tall tales of my exploits for therapy. I think I will.

Thanks again you fellow obsessed weirdos that enjoy chasing a nice shave!

Happy second birthday Dave (and belated wishes for your first one)! Thank you for sharing you story. I am glad to have you here and wish that you celebrate this day for many years!

Hi Dave. Glad you're still here!
I have a second birthday too. I survived a serious heart attack at 57, New Year's Eve morning 2011. I shoveled snow for an hour, stacked wood for an hour (not unusual) and boom! After looking at my pre-op angiogram, two cardiologists were mystified that I had no prior symptoms and managed to survive the attack. I celebrate my birthday New Year's Eve now (my real birthday is Jan 27, so it's close enough) by shoveling snow and stacking wood. SWMBO hates it when I shovel snow. She says if I have another attack while shovelling snow, she will give me CPR to revive me. So she can kill me. (don't worry -I approach heavy exercise very differently now)
I expected to get another 5 years if I was lucky. It's been over 7 years, and my Doc says there's no reason I shouldn't expect another 20. I don't buy lottery tickets anymore. I figure I used up all my good luck. I consider myself truly blessed.

One of my shooting buddies went to emerg with a strange pain in his left elbow that could not be accounted for. His visit was predicated upon my story of my attack, and the strange pain I encountered. Sure enough, two stents later, his long term prognosis is excellent. Keep telling people about your experience. You may save someone's life.

Thank you. There is no question, at all, that I have had at least 12 extra years with my wife and 19 year old man son. At 57 it's probably asking too much to get another 19, but 12 would be nice.

You know, tomorrow is not promised to anyone, so live your life, enjoy your time, and you might be surprised just how many tomorrows arrive for you. Thank you for sharing . . .

Dave, the War Dept. called and left a message: "If you can't sleep, you can clean the toilet, dust the furniture, and clean the 'fridge. No sense just sitting around sniffing Arko."

Mac

Congrats on the milestone!

My brother had a heart valve replaced when he was 20. They said that he has about 20 years before he has to go through it again to replace the replacement. He turns 40 in a few years so that day is coming for him again.

Thanks for sharing!

FarmerTan

Thank you all! And @Macfrommichigan you must be a mind reader, or she really did call you. I have been awoken and handed a honeydew list in the last ten minutes!

FarmerTan

Congrats on the milestone!

My brother had a heart valve replaced when he was 20. They said that he has about 20 years before he has to go through it again to replace the replacement. He turns 40 in a few years so that day is coming for him again.

Thanks for sharing!
Oy. I feel for him. Hug him. Or punch him in the arm, depending on how you show affection.

FarmerTan

@Ricksplace : I still haven't sold your first B&B PIF, though it is one of a kind. Maybe I'll display it in a DE museum.

And as for stacking wood: I still do it. Just smarter. A man can die in his Lazyboy too, as I reminded the War Department just last week!

FarmerTan

You know, tomorrow is not promised to anyone, so live your life, enjoy your time, and you might be surprised just how many tomorrows arrive for you. Thank you for sharing . . .
I realised my post sounds morbid, kinda, just now. I really wasn't looking for sympathy. Or not MUCH, lol. Mostly just venting. I attended 2 funerals last week, so that probably didn't help. I may start skipping them altogether; the guy in the box ain't gonna miss me. On a related note: sometime ago I decided to charge admission to my funeral. The War Department says no. We are in negotiations, so stay tuned.

Not morbid at all, imo. Simply realistic. when my family and I went to Holland a few years ago, I had planned on visits to at least one Canadian Military Cemetery. My Father had passed earlier in the year and, upon landing in Holland, my mood went from somber to very relaxed and happy. So we did not visit the War Graves, as I did not want anything to intrude on that happiness, as it was the first time I had felt that way in months. Nothing wrong with it, or with your thoughts, either.

Top Bottom