What's new

My oldest cream

I have been collecting shaving "stuff" for many years, back when it was not fashionable.
About thirty years ago I found this box of shaving creams in Turin. It was old even then, since it dates to about 1946!
It is an interesting combination: the label on the box is in Spanish, the cream is called Sphynx (esfinge in Spanish) but the cream is made in Italy. The message on the tube is in English (with a mistake or two) and hails the Allied troops that were stationed in Post WW2 Italy at the time. It also claimed that it was exported to the US! Incidentally, the cream has a lovely mint scent!

proxy.php

proxy.php

kasabian said:
That is so cool!!!!!

I am jelous. :mad3: :biggrin:

Fancy selling it? :a2:
Not for sale, sorry, plus I would not know how much to ask. I actually have two boxes of these! I am quite sure they are the only surviving tubes in the world. The cream smells really nice.

roughrider said:
Very nice. Have you tried any?
I have been tempted...
I am pretty sure that it would still lather well. I am not so sure about the old metal tubes, though...(is it tin or lead?), they do not look very healthy!
I think I'll pass, but, as I said, I'd love to find a modern cream with the same fresh mint scent.

kasabian said:
ehhh...that's a shame :biggrin: I wanted to screenprint this image on a t-shirt:

proxy.php

:tongue:

That's a great idea!
I could scan it and send you a .bmp
(But I want a few at cost!!!)

I knew that it was only going to be a matter of time before someone started screaming for t-shirts. Please let me know if this happens!

That is an interesting image with the Sphinx in the foreground.

Ad agencies try to mimic these old styles and for my money they're always so off the mark.

A t-shirt would be amazing with that on it.

Scorpio said:
The blade wrappers are very interesting and colorful. I think these would look great on T-shirts.

Rafael

I think so, too: very 50's looking shirt (maybe even a Hawaiian shirt).
These wrappers, incidentaly, are complete with blade.

tryphon said:
That's a great idea!
I could scan it and send you a .bmp

If you could do that, that would be fantastic!

Actually .jpg would be better :001_smile

Such is the nature of screen-printing though, that the scan would have to be very high resolution. 300 dpi at the very least. So that when preparing the template, everything in the design is absolutely 100% crisp and clear. Otherwise it won't print correctly.

tryphon said:

Yes of course :biggrin:

I also, have a lot of those vintage razor blades. I love the old designs :001_wub: Those are a bit tricky to put onto t-shirts as screen prints because they're so small. And no matter how high resolution you scan them in as, they're still fuzzy and unclear. :redface:

I recently came across this item on ebay:

Vintage Barbershop chart

I planned on bidding for it, and printing the images on shirts. But I was shocked to see the price going up so much! $355 it ended up going for! WOW...didn't expect that. :eek:

kasabian said:
If you could do that, that would be fantastic!

Actually .jpg would be better :001_smile

Such is the nature of screen-printing though, that the scan would have to be very high resolution. 300 dpi at the very least. So that when preparing the template, everything in the design is absolutely 100% crisp and clear. Otherwise it won't print correctly.

Can do. It also needs a bit of Photoshop retouching to fix some of the defects in the tatty original. If you are on MS Messenger, I can transfer the large-ish .jpg file to you.

Don't worry, I've been using photoshop everyday for the past 8 years. I should be able to fix those little nicks. :biggrin: :wink:

For some reason, my apple mac doesn't agree with MSN, so I don't have it I'm afraid. :frown: I got AIM though. Or you could email it to me, depending on how big attachements your email provider allows you to send.

[email protected]

If emailing it is too much trouble, then let me know and I can install MSN on my dad's PC or something, and use that... :001_smile

Top Bottom