What's new

My Old Razor

This is an old Merkur I was using for a while before I bought my Futur. It was a gift from a friend and I have no idea how old it is, but he'd had it since the early 70s.
proxy.php

MasonM said:
This is an old Merkur I was using for a while before I bought my Futur. It was a gift from a friend and I have no idea how old it is, but he'd had it since the early 70s.

Looks good! How's it shave?

Actually it shaves quite well, it just always felt a little too small in my hands which is why I bought the Futur.

MasonM said:
Actually it shaves quite well, it just always felt a little too small in my hands which is why I bought the Futur.

I have a new-issue Merkur Open Comb, and it is also small. Holding it with the tips of your fingers, at the tip of the handle (as per Kyle's suggestion) works well. This also helps with the "no pressure" thing, as holding the razor like this doesn't give you much leverage to dig into your face.

TraderJoe said:
I have a new-issue Merkur Open Comb, and it is also small. Holding it with the tips of your fingers, at the tip of the handle (as per Kyle's suggestion) works well. This also helps with the "no pressure" thing, as holding the razor like this doesn't give you much leverage to dig into your face.
I've tried that technique and it feels far too awkward for me to get a decent shave, especially when I have to do a S-N under my chin.

It's a nice little razor and I have nothing against it at all. I simply prefer something a bit larger and with more heft.

I had meant to ask before and had forgotten until now. Can anyone tell me what model Merkur it is? I think it's an HD. It was purchased new in the late 60s or early 70s from what I was told by the original owner.

If it is an HD, they have changed quite a bit since then. I saw one like this on ebay a few weeks ago. I don't think it was described as a particular model...only as a vintage Merkur.

GeeQue said:
If it is an HD, they have changed quite a bit since then. I saw one like this on ebay a few weeks ago. I don't think it was described as a particular model...only as a vintage Merkur.
HD is just a guess on my part. I really have no idea other than it's an open comb.

Top Bottom