What's new

My off and on again journey with the pipe.

Just tried several tobaccos. i think I am getting better at being patient and sipping. Tongue bite is gone now that I am actually drying the tobacco before hand. Before when I had tried pipe I loaded right out of the tin or pouch with poor results. Bob's Chocolate Flake was ok but I was expecting it to be a bit sweeter. It is straight tobacco taste with a slight dusting of cocoa powder to me. The slight sweetness I think comes from the tobaccos themselves. I had some Days of Yore from C+D. Nice scent but taste wasn't there. Didn't satisfy my sweet tooth. Meat pie was just another english to me. I guess my tastes are not refined enough detect the nuances or differences in the englishes you fellas do. They all just taste like latakia to me. I guess I am not a mature enough pipe smoker to appreciate these non aros yet.
I love how the englishes smoke without bite. I can puff away without fear. So far no bite with just sipping tobaccos with virginia content too. One thing though. Meat pie doesn't taste like meat. It really should you know.

Rick

If my package ever gets out of its USPS purgatory you'll get to try some crossover Englishes that are rather less subtle in their difference from "just taste like Latakia". Since you've got the bite problem licked I guess the Milan Balkan won't be a big help to you, but the Boswell Northwoods is decently sweetened, the Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot is kinda liquored up, the Milan Sultan's Blend is sweetened and quite oddball, and the Lane HGL is also kinda out there.

I look forward to trying them all. I like oddball. Oddball and I seem to understand each other. I love to color outside the lines. I just hope to return the gracious favor you've done me sometime.

Thanks,

Rick

Kudos on getting a the slower rhythm going. You may want to revisit some of the ones you didn't like before now that your technique has improved.

It looks like there's a bunch of good blends in the mail for you. Shortcut to Mushrooms may be an additional possibility, but see how those new ones are treating you first.

Thanks Blue_2. That slower rhythm has helped quite a bit. Not quite as satisfactory for a cigarette smoker but I draw slowly and more steadily and it is starting to satisfy me more with less aggressive puffing unlike with a cigarette. I did try Frog Morton but couldn't really pick up on the aro component some say is there. Some say its a cross over but all I got was the latakia and a tad bit of sweetness. Not enough for me. It did smoke smoothly though.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks Blue_2. That slower rhythm has helped quite a bit. Not quite as satisfactory for a cigarette smoker but I draw slowly and more steadily and it is starting to satisfy me more with less aggressive puffing unlike with a cigarette. I did try Frog Morton but couldn't really pick up on the aro component some say is there. Some say its a cross over but all I got was the latakia and a tad bit of sweetness. Not enough for me. It did smoke smoothly though.

Thanks,

Rick

It does take a while to get the rhythm and cadence down, but sonds like you are well on your way. It'll feel natural before you know it.

Which Frog Morton do you have? I wouldn't call the original blend anything but an English. FM Cellar is something of a crossover English/aro, and is significantly sweeter than any of the other FM iterations.

Thanks Mr. Price. It already is starting to feel more natural and less forced to sip slowly but steadily. Thanks for the suggestion of cellar but I am afraid to try anything with a whiskey or bourbon flavor or component. I'm not allergic to alcohol. I just like it a little too much. Too much for the continued safety of the public at large. At least that was the wisdom the judge shared with me 27 odd yrs ago. I just don't want to prime the pump again by accident.

Thanks Though. Under other circumstances it would be a good suggestion,

Rick

In that case, you might shy away from the MM American Patriot. I can't pick the bourbon out of the flavor but some reviewers can. While it sounds like you share the same blunt instrument of a tongue that I have, not so great at the finer tasting, it seems like you might be prepared to pick up that particular subtlety quite sensitively.

I do consider it a possibility a whiskey note might whet my considerable thirst again so I have avoided those tobacco's. You are right though. For the most part I am not picking up on subtle notes others have. I will do as you advise and shy away from the Patriot. I hope the postal service sees its way clear to release the hostage parcel unharmed though.

Thanks for the heads up about the Patriot,

Rick

I did try Frog Morton but couldn't really pick up on the aro component some say is there. Some say its a cross over but all I got was the latakia and a tad bit of sweetness.
I agree with Price, I don't consider FM to be an aro. It has some toppings (as pretty much all pipe tobacco has) but it's more of a straightforward English.

It was the regular frog Morton. I agree. It sure tasted like a straight forward english to me. Maybe I'd like a tobacco that has some small aro component to satisfy my sweet tooth. Especially now that I am smoking more slowly.

Rick

Thanks Mr. ravl10. I will have to give it a try. Peter Stokkebye has got some quality tobaccos for sure.

Rick

Smoking a bowl of some C+D Days of Yore and Bob's Chocolate flake mixed. I dried it out on the cutting board for several days and am getting good results with no bite. Smoking in my MM Legend cob with brand new forever stem. What a pleasure.

Rick

Smoking a bowl of some C+D Days of Yore and Bob's Chocolate flake mixed. I dried it out on the cutting board for several days and am getting good results with no bite. Smoking in my MM Legend cob with brand new forever stem. What a pleasure.

Rick
:thumbup1:

Thanks Mr. Price. I'm psyching myself up for a night shift at the hospital after 4 days off. Trying to boost my endorphin levels with a relaxing bowl. I am currently drying some Oldchurch. A McClellan reproduction of an old Ashton aro. It always bit me before so some drying time will help my enjoyment this time. I'm practicing delay of gratification.

Rick

I have not smoked a pipe or cigar in about 4 years cause the only place I smoke is at Civil War Reenactments. The Wife Hates Smoking and has adult onset Asthma.

I am sorry to hear of your wife's asthma Deltaboy and would like to take this opportunity to wish her all the best success with it.

Rick

I would like to thank Captaincaveman for all the generous samples. The kindness of the guys here on the BL bowls me over. I will endeavor to pay it forward to the best of my ability as requested by the Captain himself. I have a small amount of Northwoods drying and will try it in a bit when I get back from supper. So much thanks to all of you fellows here. I really feel welcome.

Best to all,

Rick

Top Bottom