What's new

My OCD on full display (caution, picture & detail heavy)

Very impresssed. I’m very interested reading about this kind of stuff. Thank you for sharing it with us fellow enthusiasts.

Thanks again for the kind remarks.

Have made a few changes from my original, one of the most significant is with the daily shave log and calculating a daily rank/score. I wanted to add some granularity by adding a score for each portion of the shave process but also take into account that they aren't equal and some have a greater relative importance in the outcome for a good shave. To that end, have added a weighting factor as follows:
-pre-shave (weight of 0.25)
-soap (weight of 1.25)
-brush (weight of 0.5)
-razor (weight of 1)
-blade (weight of 1)
-my qualitative opinion (weight of 2)

proxy.php

Also went a little nuts with the aftershaves and tried to find a way organize & identify them. First broke down each into either being a fundamentally warm (red) or cool (blue) scent. Then selected the two most dominant characteristics from a list of primal scent notes being
citrus (yellow), whiskey (yellow), floral (green), wood (green), musk (red), spice (red), water (blue), leather (black), tobacco (black) and menthol (white). This information was then added to the 'scent" tab in the Shave Hardware/Software Google Sheet and looks like this
proxy.php

And then for the bottles themselves took 5mm marking tape and banded each with the appropriate colors.
proxy.php

GF was out of town this weekend and I don't think I'd have been able to get away with this if she was around. I'm sure I looked a little ridiculous sitting on the bathroom floor with 30 or so bottles of aftershave, marking tape, x-acto knife & scissors.

You mentioned planograms and just curios if you don't mind me asking. Does your occupation involve the use or design of planograms. It is a term I would assume most people are unfamiliar with.

You mentioned planograms and just curios if you don't mind me asking. Does your occupation involve the use or design of planograms. It is a term I would assume most people are unfamiliar with.
My current occupation no. However while in university one of my part time jobs was in retail and they were fanatical the product placement matched the planogram issued by HQ.

Same here. Would often times finish one only to tear it down and start over the following week.
Yes, it was frustrating but was in a tech store so wasn't as though I was having to re-shelve 500 cans of beans. Of all the grunt duties with retail one thing I actually enjoyed was facing.

Mine was office supply so it could be quite involved when reworking certain departments. I haven't worked retail in over 20 years, but I will occasionally have a weird dream of facing the shelves.

As far as the original topic goes, I am quite impressed with the time you must have spent on it.

Mine was office supply so it could be quite involved when reworking certain departments. I haven't worked retail in over 20 years, but I will occasionally have a weird dream of facing the shelves.

As far as the original topic goes, I am quite impressed with the time you must have spent on it.
No, I can't say I miss retail but it was the foundation of learning how to read people and their BS.

Thank you

Thanks John

The latest to ShaveOCD 2.0 is a daily randomizer....
proxy.php

Just a tab in my shave log Google sheet that uses the different lists of hardware & software and a few formulas to generate a random config

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks again for the kind remarks.

Have made a few changes from my original, one of the most significant is with the daily shave log and calculating a daily rank/score. I wanted to add some granularity by adding a score for each portion of the shave process but also take into account that they aren't equal and some have a greater relative importance in the outcome for a good shave. To that end, have added a weighting factor as follows:
-pre-shave (weight of 0.25)
-soap (weight of 1.25)
-brush (weight of 0.5)
-razor (weight of 1)
-blade (weight of 1)
-my qualitative opinion (weight of 2)

proxy.php

Also went a little nuts with the aftershaves and tried to find a way organize & identify them. First broke down each into either being a fundamentally warm (red) or cool (blue) scent. Then selected the two most dominant characteristics from a list of primal scent notes being
citrus (yellow), whiskey (yellow), floral (green), wood (green), musk (red), spice (red), water (blue), leather (black), tobacco (black) and menthol (white). This information was then added to the 'scent" tab in the Shave Hardware/Software Google Sheet and looks like this
proxy.php

And then for the bottles themselves took 5mm marking tape and banded each with the appropriate colors.
proxy.php

GF was out of town this weekend and I don't think I'd have been able to get away with this if she was around. I'm sure I looked a little ridiculous sitting on the bathroom floor with 30 or so bottles of aftershave, marking tape, x-acto knife & scissors.
You are sure organized, my system is a little simpler to my way of thinking. My # of products are small so I keep track of it easier. But over time like yourself you accumulate a lot of product and man do you take care of that in a great way. Very nice system of evaluating aftershave, that one is a tough one to pin point because people have different smell strength sense and some don't have any at all or just poor scent sense.

Top Bottom