What's new

My not so " Straight Journey "

Introduction :
This is how I fell in love with the razor, not the intro of the razor.

IMG_20220116_122137.jpg

It was after I received the RazoRock BBS and Game Changer 84 Open Comb razors and decided to stick with them for extended periods to genuinely know what they offered.

Even after that resolve, I couldn't stop myself from perusing the various SOTD (our brothers and fellow enthusiasts from the States and Europe), reviews, and a few videos.
Among the various razors from ATT, Timeless, Karve, and Blackland, this razor immediately caught my attention and I could tell then and there itself that sooner or later a Blackbird will land on my address.

Contemplation and Acquisition:
I tried to distract myself with various other more economical razors, they offered some solace and for the time being, I was satisfied, and honestly, my budget was in the shambles by the latter half of the year.

To allow for the Blackbird purchase I needed some tough love in managing my rotation, and some necessary sacrifices were needed to be done.

The math was simple - give up 60% of my current rotation of razors and purchase the Blackbird.
Doing it wasn't simple as I loved each of my razors and found them useful for various reasons, letting them go was a difficult but necessary process.

The reason for this is because I believe in keeping my wet shaving hobby a very healthy part of my life, and as long as it is kept in check, its expenses are justified only then it will be a good thing, otherwise, it will just be an addiction or worse - a sour point in daily life.

This or that or Both!:
The most common problem when purchasing an item in the wet shaving hobby is to decide which one to get?

I knew that there was enough difference in efficiency between the Open Comb and Safety Bar plate of Blackbird that I'm essentially comparing two different razors.

As fellow enthusiasts may suggest that instead of thinking too much about it, go ahead and get BOTH PLATES!
But, this being an expensive purchase (for me) I decided to go with what I wanted - an Open Comb Blackbird.

I chose the Blackbird SS in the machined finish, 85 mm handle, and Open Comb base plate.

IMG_20220116_122207.jpg

The arrival :
By the end of December last year, I had finally reached the required budget amount and placed the order on the 30th of December and received it on 10th January.

FedEx (+ Delhivery) doesn't deliver on weekends unless specified, so it took another 2 days to get it delivered.

Chai Pani:
As usual, the Love-Hate relationship between me and Customs department is still going on.

They love my orders and I hate paying them, lol.
Some contribution to the national budget was made and the Blackbird was finally mine.

The Experience :
Two words - Efficiency Galore!

I'm feeling drunk with the amount of efficiency, details, and finesse in the design of the razor.
The milling lines do match perpendicularly! It's a heavenly sight to behold.
The Open Comb Blackbird has an ample amount of efficiency, so much that I'm satisfied with it and no longer looking for other Open Comb razors.

Blade feel is pronounced but not vulgar, it is enough to let me know its presence but doesn't interfere with the shaves.

The teeth of Blackbird are menacing in looks but it inspires confidence (for me) and is in line with my belief - better to have more firepower than necessary rather than being left wanting for more.
I have shaved 5 times in the past 7 days with the Blackbird and I believe that with a good combination of smooth blades, this razor has all the possibilities for becoming my Grail Razor.

Recommendation:
Do not buy this razor (if you need a reason to purchase it), if you KNOW you need it then anybody's recommendation is not needed.

Reason:
Shaves with Blackbird is not going to be a sugar-coated experience, it will be an honest experience, perhaps too honest.

Blackbird is for those who enjoy playing with the edge of the blade, love efficiency, and have a steady hand to get magnificent shaves.

Ego has got nothing to do with any of it, or does it?

If you are unsure of what you want in terms of efficiency, then it is not a good idea to go for it.

Blackbird is the sort of razor that you "Know" will be a great razor for you, there is no place for any doubt.
It's like love at first sight - only you can know for sure, nobody else can decide it for you.

With this, I conclude the mumblings, and thanks to @thombrogan, riding the Comb allowed for a fantastic shave!

I'm off to another shave with the Blackbird, we have some combinations to try out before it becomes my Goldilocks razor.
(Personna Super is OK, Voshkhod is a definite no. Nacet, Feather, and Silver Blue are next in line)

IMG_20220116_122234.jpg

Cheers!

In the pursuit of a 'Partner' for my Blackland Blackbird:

Ever since I received the Blackbird OC, I've been looking for a suitable blade; the requirements were simple but evidently not easy to get - smoothness and sharpness.

While my Wunderbar, Game Changer 84 Open Comb and Parker Variant Adjustable make do with a wide variety of blades, Blackbird have a mind of it's own, figuratively speaking.

Voskhod, Personna Super and Shark Super Chrome blade weren't suitable, and I am looking for a blade that compliments the efficiency and USP of the Blackbird instead of muting it.

As recommended by some good friends and hoped by me, one of the few blades he suggested immediately 'clicked' with Blackbird and I received one of the best shaves ever.

I consider the Feather blades (DE and SE) in the category of "Go big or go Home" as there is no middle of the road in sharpness, it's all there to feel and enjoy.

IMG_20220122_202513.jpg

Feather blade paired with the Blackbird Open Comb, face lathering with a gorgeous Boar bristles brush, add the Apricot Pie scent from MSC & Pasteur collaboration soap, the whole experience was divine.

For those brief moments of shaving with a razor that is both stern and rewarding, my favorite music in background and warm steamy vapors in the bathroom after a shower - it all made the life worth it, and recharged me.

This was a much needed refreshing experience, shave was smooth, close and never out of control - pure Bliss!

Search for more such combinations with the Blackbird will be continued, for today I'm content with the Feather.

With these lines I wish you all a healthy and great weekend, Cheers!

# I'll be sharing my experience and SOTD of my Feather Artist Club Kamisori and Blackland Blackbird razors here.

Hi! May I please ask you more BBS-AS plate-related questions?

How does it compare to your stainless Blackbird OC?
Yes, sure. I'll be happy to share my experience.

BBS AS as you have seen in previous photos gets the efficiency by curving (not twisting) the blade to some extent while leaving the edge of the blade un-clamped, this, in turn, will provide good efficiency if used on the stubble of 2 days or more. But if we use it for daily shaves, then this un-clamped blade edge will provide a feeling of slight roughness.

BBS AS in my opinion is more favorable for head shaving, as the plate provides an extra point of efficiency, but goes down one point in smoothness. This is suitable for head-shaving rather than facial shaving and that too daily.

As compared to Blackbird Open Comb, the BBS AS is at least 3 points behind in the efficiency and blade feel.

According to my experience, when talking about daily shaving -

Blackbird OC: Feather blade is best suited here
Efficiency = 8/10 Smoothness = 8.5/10

BBS AS: Nacet blade is best suited here
Efficiency = 6/10 Smoothness = 6.5/10

I need 2 1/2 passes with Blackbird to get very close to BBS shave; I need 3 passes for DFS and 3 1/2 full passes for BBS.
That is why I preferred BBS AS for multiple days' stubble shaves.

I will still prefer the Standard plate in the BBS razor if given a choice to select a BBS razor, it also requires 4 passes for BBS but it has higher smoothness points than BBS AS plate.

BBS Standard: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, Nacet are suited best

Efficiency = 5/10 Smoothness = 8/10

If I will be spending 4 passes on my face then I'd rather choose a smoother razor any day, the BBS AS plate saves me only 1/2 a pass but loses several points in smoothness.

Ps: I sold off my BBS AS razor in favor of keeping the Wunderbar and to collect funds for Blackbird OC, I'm happy with the decision. I still have the BBS Standard plate with me, just in case I ever want to get that smooth razor again in my rotation. So, you can understand how much I prefer the Standard plate over AS plate.

Edit:

Blackbird OC holds the blade straight and clamped, which eliminates blade chatter to a great extent. I have actually found that riding the Cap and combination of Cap and blade as first contact rather than Bar gives me better results in Blackbird OC. This may be the case for Blackbird OC and not in the Blackbird Safety Bar version.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you for the comparison of the BBS, BBS AS, and Blackbird OC razors!

Very interesting that the Blackbird/Feather combination is smoother than the BBS/Nacet.

Do Feather blades last long in the Blackbird OC? I think I’ve only used Personna Blues and Personna Stainless I thought were Blues in mine.

Thank you for the comparison of the BBS, BBS AS, and Blackbird OC razors!

Very interesting that the Blackbird/Feather combination is smoother than the BBS/Nacet.

Do Feather blades last long in the Blackbird OC? I think I’ve only used Personna Blues and Personna Stainless I thought were Blues in mine.
Feather blades last me for 3 or 4 shaves in Blackbird OC, only 1 shave in RazoRock Game Changer 84 OC, 2 or 3 shaves in Parker Variant Adjustable @setting 4, 5. I cannot use a Feather blade in my Wunderbar, that amount of slant makes the blade very rough in feel.

I think one factor that increases the smoothness in favor of Blackbird OC + Feather is the reduced number of passes required ie 2 1/2 in comparison to 3+ passes in BBS Standard + Nacet.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you, again. Which blades pair well with which razors and how long they’re useable in each fascinates me. Especially because I’ll use sound-byte thinking such as “rigidity makes everything better for shaving” and then read your GC .84OC wears out Feathers faster than your Blackbird and it falsifies the hypothesis I thought made sense.

Thank you, again. Which blades pair well with which razors and how long they’re useable in each fascinates me. Especially because I’ll use sound-byte thinking such as “rigidity makes everything better for shaving” and then read your GC .84OC wears out Feathers faster than your Blackbird and it falsifies the hypothesis I thought made sense.
I think the added exposure level in Blackbird makes the Feather blade usable for more numbers of shave than the Game Changer 84 Open Comb. Since GC84 OC is less blade feel, the optimum efficiency of the blade is actually not lost per se, but it is less exposed after a few shaves.

If I use the Feather blade first in GC84 OC and then in Blackbird, maybe it'll get a few more shaves from it because with Blackbird the blade will be more exposed.

I just don't have the discipline to work on it and prefer to just chuck the old blade and put a new one as soon as I get slight reduction in efficiency ie requirements for buffing.

This year seems as if it has finally awakened most of us from our slumber and whether we like it or not, more and more social occasions are coming our way and now it's time to brace and start enjoying them again.

I may be on a different continent and but the pace of life, family obligations, joys of births, and losses are shared alike, and in that spirit - here's a lot better future for all of us.

I traveled almost continuously for 2 months (the longest in almost a decade of being a recluse), and during that time my Parker Variant Adjustable and Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum were an excellent combination.

Vicco Turmeric with Sandalwood oil is a very difficult to find but very satisfying product to use.

I have splurged a little on purchasing some soaps - Electric Sheep (Arko on Steriods), Varen (backup), and Port Au Prince. My quest for soaps is in no way sated but is slowed for now.
After successfully 3017'ing my Stirling Duke and realizing how long a soap will last for my usage, I've given up on counting the number of years worth of soaps that are already in my drawer (for the peace of mind:letterk1:), and I already feel better.

For this week I'm using a neglected, infamous Gem of a soap - Geo F Trumper Violets

I've dialed it down to almost autopilot mode for making very good lather from this soap.
It isn't a good soap in the sense that it shouldn't take this kind of effort for making good quality lather but the lather is very protective indeed!

hQBVj7g.jpg

RazoRock GC84 Open Comb
Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade
GFT Violets
Semogue C3 IT knot (perfect brush for me IMO)
Park Avenue Aftershave and Vicco Turmeric cream as post-shave

Excellent 2 passes DFS+ shave; in Summer this is as good as it gets without irritation, especially with the Heatwave currently going on in my Country.

Where did you travel? I saw you posting here and there. In every case, welcome back!
I traveled to my parent's native villages in March and then went to my elder sister's in-laws. There was a death in the family, so I stayed there for the better part of the month to help with the various things. It is a 15 days ceremony after someone dies after then it is considered to be OK for the family to get back to our routines.

So, the trip started in March, and continued till late April in Madhya Pradesh, a few days rest at my home in Chhattisgarh, and then I went to the MP again but a different city, and I have just returned to my home this week.

For me, this kind of extensive interaction with my extended family is rare and I enjoyed it every bit as well.

When I posted previously I had my traveling setup:

Parker Variant Adjustable
Vicco Turmeric w/ Sandalwood oil
18 mm synthetic brush
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum

While the shaves were good, I missed my regular variety of choices very much, lol.

Edit: to name a few famous cities that I traveled to during these months - Bhopal, Ujjain, and my parent's village as well.

What types of transportation did you use during your trip, Alec?

~doug~
In India, Railways is the most extensive and cost-effective mode of transportation, and even though I prefer to travel by road (personal vehicle), I opted for a mix of Air Conditioned, Non- AC bus and Trains. It was like a back-to-basics kind of journey as I got to experience the sweltering heat of Summer in non AC buses as well as non AC trains (these were the only options for traveling to my Village) and an AC Bus and trains while returning Home.

Once I boarded the bus, no matter how bad the roads were, or how hot it got, there is a certain charm in simplicity and also it gave me some confidence back that I can adjust accordingly, even in less than ideal conditions.

During the past few years, whether due to restrictions or safety reasons I became accustomed to too much planning and comforts of safety; it was a great experience to embrace the youthful carelessness and being out of my comfort zone. I cannot believe I just said that but being in a cocoon-like state for far too long dampened my spirit and thirst for mile-munching, it needs to be revived.

A few years back (before Covid), I visited my family in Ujjain and traveled with my immediate family in our car. That was the ideal mode of transportation for us, we look forward to traveling once again, hopefully safely like before - soon, I hope.

Thank you for the writeup, @Contact_vs_Feedback . Have been looking up the states and cities and many related info. Annual temperatures would melt me - even the ’colder’ months.
Yeah, it may seem like so, but there are foods available locally to fight the heat - sugarcane juice, lassi (sweet mixture of curd, milk, cream, dry fruits etc), chanch (slightly salty tangy mixture of curd, water, and sometimes milk), thandai, these will keep you from melting.
When you come to India, somehow you'll adjust to the temperatures and will be distracted by the hustle and bustle in the environment, although I definitely recommend coming to India during Monsoon and Winter months as Summer here is especially rough, even for the locals.

The last two months have been busy and I'm thankful for them as well. There were a lot of issues cropping up for me healthwise for the past 2 years which I attributed to a sedentary lifestyle and other reasons.
After a lot of tests and consultation with various doctors, it turns out that I'm really low in Vitamin D and B6, and B9, also there are some issues because of which I'll have to continue taking Folic acid for a long time if not forever.

I felt a bit sad due to these results but felt a wave of clarity hit me as well; it became clear that I've been just struggling due to these deficiencies. Now I can work on these and move forward with a better and more positive mindset.

Coming to the shave: I have been shaving once or twice a week but due to medical tests and Doctor's appointments I wasn't in a good enough mindset to journal here.

IMG_20220615_113434.jpg

Using a Blackbird OC is a special experience each time, it mows through the stubble cleanly, in fact, I'm left wanting for more by the end of the shave.
MWF is an excellent purchase and I'm waiting for this jar to be over so that I can start using the one in the Ceramic jar.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
After a lot of tests and consultation with various doctors, it turns out that I'm really low in Vitamin D and B6, and B9, also there are some issues because of which I'll have to continue taking Folic acid for a long time if not forever.
I find all of these you have listed to be good vitamins to take on a regular basis, I myself take Folic acid and B1 everyday, and have been as long as I can remember. Of course, I'm old, so my memory is not all that good anymore. Lol

I found out when I was a lad and camping out in the mountains, that taking vitamin B1 is great for keeping the skeeters away too, as all my friends were getting eaten up from bug bites and rubbing DEET all over, the bugs leave me alone, they hate the taste!

Here's to your continued better health!

~doug~

Thank you for the good wishes and support, I appreciate it and this made me feel good a lot more than I thought.
Here's to a better today and even better tomorrow for us and our loved ones, we move forward with what we are given.

I've started working on my lifestyle and health, and by the end of this year, there is a whole lot of improvement expected in various aspects of my life.

Top Bottom