What's new

My not so " Straight Journey "

RazoRock Wunderbar
Stirling Port Au Prince
Stirling Fan knot badger
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blade

IMG_20220703_151549.jpg

Stirling Mutton tallow line-up is so good in terms of performance that most of the time I don't really need any post-shave pampering.

Wunderbar is like a dream come true when considering a slant (for me), I don't think about any other slant after using it. It is deceptively smooth and ready to turn from efficient to bitey (in terms of irritation), in fact, it is my latest shave with Wunderbar that I've finally come off 100% irritation-free (no alcohol bite) even after an aftershave. I never knew there was so much room for improvement, yet here I am, having second thoughts about the accepted levels of technique and post-shave feel with my other razors.

I'll not be taking part in this month's GRUME, as I have some interesting things to work on - knotting the knots in handles and trying to source some good quality badger knots as well.

I've come to a stage where it is looking interesting to try to fit some knots in gorgeous-looking handles, and what better way to start than with some inexpensive synthetic knots and some SHD badger knots as well. It is going to take a month to get anything delivered to my address, till then various posts and videos will be my homework for preparation for this DIY journey.

#SOTD #Review Green Cult Razor
Part 1: an idea taking root (also why this razor?)
(Long post warning, some pondering as well)

Green Cult razor
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blade (2)
RazoRock Noir 400 SE
B&M Sandalwood

Many times I wonder what makes a razor a "good fit" for me, what makes it worth it for me?
Sure the Brand, the hype and unobtanium level, and of course the metal of the razor; all play a role in the grand scheme of things, I'm a bit more interested in the technical terms, the geometry, and the perceived feel of the razor.
For me, it is a tool, not a Jewel but that doesn't warrant the discount on the expectations in fit, finish, tolerance, material, packaging, and pricing.

Here in India, we have a lot of scopes, and the manufacturers may be trying their best to cater to the masses to the best of their abilities, but they fall short in terms of expectations, product innovation, and quite frankly anything interesting for a hobbyist is a rare find.

I have been actively improving my understanding of the hobby (for my own interest) and by now my needs, requirements, and preferences are clear to me, especially in terms of the efficiency and blade feel of a razor.

So, when I saw there is a Close Comb (Safety bar) razor with such great specs, I couldn't help but get it, and it feels great when the theoretical idea meets real-life expectations and more. My rotation mainly consists of Open Comb or naked blade razors, pure safety razor was almost absent, especially one of great quality.

After seeing this diagram, I fell in love with the razor immediately. This is my way of getting to know a razor before purchasing it, and this process almost guarantees a great understanding of a razor (or any hardware), at least for me. Watching reviews provides only a rough idea as to what to expect from a product, you will be the only one to know for sure if it will work for you or not.

I purchased this razor after about 2 months of research (Google, videos, blogs, and chats with more experienced Wet Shavers from overseas), it became clear that this is a great razor and more importantly, it is designed as per my requirements (lucky, I guess) to the T.

This is a heavy razor and its efficiency partly comes from the geometry and partly from the handle length and weight. It ticks all the correct boxes and gives a pleasant, effortless, and lasting close shave, it completes my "needs" and moreover, it makes me happy to have gotten it in the Initial phase.

This razor made the Game hanger 84 OC feel like Merkur 34C in terms of efficiency all the while being on the same level lo ease and comfort in shaving, WOW!

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_115614.jpg
    IMG_20220706_115614.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image-1-1024x576.png
    image-1-1024x576.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 1
#SOTD #Review

Green Cult Close Comb razor
**Ponderings**

A great shave gets me into the mood to observe the nuances in experiences with various gears of my rotation and how to improve my understanding and approach, and today I had a really great shave.

After using several brands of razors, both Indian and International, and experiencing various efficiency and blade exposure, etc, in short, various approaches of different manufacturers and artisans who devote their time, energy, and put their hearts to the pursuit of excellence, I have sensed something quite simple yet difficult to acknowledge, at least for me even though I must have said it a number of times myself - Price doesn't equate to (received) quality.

We all want the best possible gears in our rotation and sometimes sensible reasoning be damned and we go for something our hearts are set on; if we are lucky it will be as good a match as we hoped, else it leads to a learning experience.

My rotation is very humble, very carefully designed according to my needs, and maybe won't match a lot of people's needs, but it is my rotation. I'm happy with it, and I'll not take back any purchase or selling decisions of the past; they all gave me precious insights.

Green Cult razor from Vienna, Austria is a beautiful razor, very crisp design, refreshingly detailed oriented finishing, and nary a loose mark on the surface of the razor (except the underside of the base plate, duh), all for 60 Euro (total amount paid), shows that there is still razors South of 100 Euro 'Mark' (pun intended) which are worth considering and fully capable of killing the RAD.

Blackbird is No1 in the Open Comb category (for me) while Green Cult has cemented its position as my favorite Close Comb razor owing to the balance (efficiency + smoothness) and VFM factors.

The 0.25 mm +ve exposure and quality workmanship eliminate the chatter to almost negligible levels and I'm really happy with the shaves, and I'm absolutely in love with the performance of this razor.

For me, I will not ask for any other changes in the head Geometry of the razor, maybe a slightly chubbier handle for the mass appeal; I like it the way it is.

If this razor was launched last year and came with an Open Comb version or with both base plates, then I'd have ditched the idea of Blackbird altogether, it is that great. But, since I have a Green Cult in Close Comb, I'll not need the Safety Bar version of Blackbird as I'm more than satisfied with the Green Cult razor in Close Comb.

IMG_20220714_164712.jpg

SOTD:

Green Cult Close Comb razor

Feather Stainless Steel

Simpsons Chubby 3 in Best

Stirling Varen

Shavologist Fougere ASL

I have been going on with my Green Cult razor for the past few weeks and it has satisfied my RAD for good. Having Green Cult and Blackbird OC is like a dream come true, it has provided me with a very healthy margin of efficiency and variety as well.

In the upcoming month, I'll be returning to my Kamisori for full time and will try to get as many shaves with it (2 pass per day; WTG, XTG) to restore and improve upon my skills with it.

This post is dedicated to the comparison photos of my Top Dogs and both are excellent in their own design criteria and Machining quality; I'll however rate Green Cult higher than Blackbird because at 36 Euro vs 200 USD there is no competition, especially when Green Cult gives similar or closer shave at 1/4 the price and that too without design rip off factor (AFAIK).

IMG_20220721_203138.jpg

IMG_20220721_203104.jpg

IMG_20220721_203000 (3-1).jpg

IMG_20220721_203030 (3-1).jpg

When I started this thread, it wasn't clear as to why I picked up a contradicting name, even though it was fully intended to journal only my Artist Club razor shave journey.

Now when I look at the razors in my rotation, the majority of them are blade forward and excellently machined razors, and each of them is worthy of some highlights from time to time.

My current razor are:

# RazoRock Game Changer 84 OC
# Blackland Blackbird SS OC
# Green Cult Close Comb
# Stirling Soap Company Standard & Hyper Aggressive (both plates)
# Parker Variant Adjustable
#RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
# Feather Artist Club (Folding & Non folding type)

This seems like a well rounded rotation and quite possibly my purchase journey has come to a very happy conclusion, rightly so since all my needs are being fulfilled by these gems.

Today's shave was performed with an old favourite razor, which is also very close to my heart as it was gifted to me by a fellow B&B member: Feather Artist Club razor (non folding)

Feather Artist Club razor
Feather Professional blade
GFT Violets
RazoRock Beehive brush

I concluded my shave after two passes, because I'm trying to increase the number of passes per week with this razor.

First pass was a bit clumsy but uneventful, it was during the second pass when the muscle memory kicked in and things started to look better with every stroke.

IMG_20220802_093327.jpg

I cheated in my second pass and directly went for the ATG in my neck region, it was easier to do so than following the XTG pass after WTG pass.

This is an area which needs improvement in technique of razor holding.

I have been mixed up with family visits, health issues (now on the mend but last week was brutal) and waiting (im) patiently for the mail call of brushes.

I have been using the same set-up for August month, and now I have settled nicely with the Feather Artist Club razor.

Feather Artist Club razor
Feather Professional blade
GFT Violets soap
RazoRock Beehive 28 mm Plissoft

I'm getting about 15-17 shaves from a Professional blade, I don't know if this is a good number or not but at least my skin is happy and I'm improving my techniques with the Artist Club razor.

Here's the mail-call:

IMG_20220823_152737.jpg

Ps: there is a translucent handle in the back row just right of the farthest Blue handle.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m sorry to read you weren’t feeling well and am glad to read you’re now on the mend.

Don’t know how long any blade is supposed to last, but it should start lasting longer as your ability to give yourself a comfortable shave improves.

Very glad to see you writing here again. Thank you for the cool picture of your new toys. They look decadent.

After a month long hiatus from shaving, trying to rediscover myself and decide which kind of facial hair will suit me, etc, this break from shaving ended.

Stirling HA plate went and cleared more than a month of stubble in one go like it wasn't even there. The look and feel was amazing, almost scary yet enjoyable.

Shavologist soap's current base rivals my best tallow soaps easily. The USP apart from it's price is how easy it is to overload the brush, be it boar or badger let alone the synthetic brush.

I cannot help but caress my clean shaved face, lol.

IMG_20230505_174049.jpg

Outstanding three pass shave:

Stirling Soap Company HA razor
Boti Captain 2 band badger brush
Gillette Nacet blade
Shavologist Invasion soap
Lea Alum stick
Haslinger Sandalwood aftershave balm

Top Bottom