What's new

My next razor

I've been using DE with my trusty EJ since 2013.
Recently purchased ming shi 2000s (merkur futur lookalike) and it's nice, exept the size which is problematic below the nose.

I'm looking for my next razor. My stubble is a very thick, hard, dense (middle eastern on steroids) and I shave daily.

For me, the EJ is very mild and I need to apply too much pressure to get a good shave.
I've found the more aggressive mingshi less irritating on the skin as it's more efficient and allows a gentle pressure and is more predictable.
My problem areas are chin, and the the sides of the chin, where the hair grows very close to the skin, no upright or anything like that.

What would you recommend I tried next, razor-wise?
I've been thinking about Parker Variant as I'm looking for adjust-ability, but reviews on Amazon criticize it's build quality.
My ming shi 2000s is adjustable but only I only use the mildest setting. It only adjust the gap afaik.

Are there adjustable razor that adjust the blade exposure?
How is parker variant compared to the ming shi 2000s, in adjust-ability. efficiency and aggressiveness?
What other razor would you recommend?

Blades: I've been using Viking's Sword (personna) and soon I'll be getting Feather.

Thanks!

Before spending $, try a blade shim to increase efficiency of your EJ. With scissors snip off the sharp edges of a used blade (or two or three) and load between the baseplate and sharp blade. The increased blade gap can wake up your mild razor.

The Parker Variant is a copy of the Merkur Progress. I have not tried the Parker nor do I know about build quality (and I generally distrust Amazon reviews), but I recommend the Progress highly. If you prefer a more grippy knurling on the handle, the Variant might be better for you. Either way, it is an excellent choice. I find the Progress to be very smooth and efficient.

I find the Parker 97r a great razor. A little aggressive but not bad. And it only cost $28.00 on Amazon.

Parker_Nivea.JPG

The Merkur Progress seems like a better option than the Variant and I can also recommend trying the Razorock Game Changer .84 sb. It's an inexpensive and affordable stainless steel razor that according to some can rival the much more expensive and shiny razors.

You can also look at the Yaqi adjustable v3 TFC. It is not expensive, and after the reviews it looks like an excellent adjustable razor.
DSCosmetic Z0 v 2.0 ( R41 clone SS)
Parker Semi Slant .
Muhle Rocca v4.0 CNC

If you combine a Muhle R41 top cap with a R89 plate, you will get a device with a higher blade exposure and therefore more efficient!

Last edited:
Thanks, you all have given me a lot to consider. Do you guys think RazoRock BBS (AS version) is a good option? My skin needs the least amount of irritation.

Thanks, you all have given me a lot to consider. Do you guys think RazoRock BBS (AS version) is a good option? My skin needs the least amount of irritation.
Welcome to B&B! In your first post you describe applying too much pressure and after hearing that I'm not surprised that you are experiencing irritation.

My beard is nothing like yours so I'll let others give specific critique but I will say that the Merkur Progress is a great adjustable that has stood the test of time (since 1955).

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've been using DE with my trusty EJ since 2013.
Recently purchased ming shi 2000s (merkur futur lookalike) and it's nice, exept the size which is problematic below the nose.

I'm looking for my next razor. My stubble is a very thick, hard, dense (middle eastern on steroids) and I shave daily.

For me, the EJ is very mild and I need to apply too much pressure to get a good shave.
I've found the more aggressive mingshi less irritating on the skin as it's more efficient and allows a gentle pressure and is more predictable.
My problem areas are chin, and the the sides of the chin, where the hair grows very close to the skin, no upright or anything like that.

What would you recommend I tried next, razor-wise?
I've been thinking about Parker Variant as I'm looking for adjust-ability, but reviews on Amazon criticize it's build quality.
My ming shi 2000s is adjustable but only I only use the mildest setting. It only adjust the gap afaik.

Are there adjustable razor that adjust the blade exposure?
How is parker variant compared to the ming shi 2000s, in adjust-ability. efficiency and aggressiveness?
What other razor would you recommend?

Blades: I've been using Viking's Sword (personna) and soon I'll be getting Feather.

Thanks!
Straight razor. Complete control of shave angle and zero irritation.

Welcome to B&B

So you are using only the mildest settings on your Ming Shi 2000?

If so then it beats the purpose of having an adjustable razor; Parker Variant Adjustable will provide you with similar experience, maybe a difference of 1/2 a setting in efficiency.

Increasing the number on settings dial not only increases the blade gap but also reduces the bend of the blade and hence increasing the exposure of the blade.

I use Parker Variant Adjustable at 5 for my 1st pass and go for 4 for second and consequently touch up passes.

As for the query regarding the RazoRock BBS AS razor: it is a good razor, good for daily, mild, irritation free shaves.

My beard stubble also grows too close to the skin in jaw line and neck area, so I enjoyed the BBS AS plate very well.

I found out that RazoRock Wunderbar is one of the best razor for smooth, efficient and daily shaves, and since I had both I sold my BBS AS in favor of Wunderbar.

You should experiment a bit more with the settings on your razor as it is a good razor and unless there is uneven blade gap issue, it is a good razor.

Also, highly recommended that you get a blade sampler pack of at least 5 blades each of a wide variety of blades.

You are seriously jumping a bit far in performance differences between your current blades and the Feather blades.

I returned using the EJ over The minghshi.
The minghshi is too harsh, positive exposure vs the negative on the EJ, and mine has uneven blade gaps for both sides.

Changed my mind regarding the EJ. I CAN get a good shave with 3 passes and feather like pressure. It's the daily shaving that irritates my skin. I didn't shave for 2 days and today's shave was very nice. I ordered BBS A+AS plate, and waiting for it to arrive so I could compare it with the EJ. Hope it's worth the price.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Merkur Progress seems like a better option than the Variant and I can also recommend trying the Razorock Game Changer .84 sb. It's an inexpensive and affordable stainless steel razor that according to some can rival the much more expensive and shiny razors.
I'm gonna have to agree with @Medivh on the Game Changer 84 SB, also known as the GC84P, and if that is still not enough, try a Lupo 95.

doug

Top Bottom